PennyChristie's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

♿️ My 2021 Accessibility Goal

2FB170A9-675B-4675-B17A-742FEE4E4436.jpeg

Photo of Local Guide Penny Christie during the 2020 Community Live Closing Ceremony.  

As part of our advocacy, #OneAccesibility, we will share information about differently able and profile one location with accessible trails. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

Happy New Year Local Guides.  I can’t believe 2020 is finally over. It felt like a really bad dream that the whole world was having at the exact same time and we just couldn’t wake up. That dream seems to be continuing in 2021 but I am very hopeful for a brighter future. 

I have decided to make 2021 a year of LEARNING. This will also be my 2021 Accessibility Goal. I would like to learn more about the different challenges people go through every day in places and situations most people take for granted. 

For example, I often wonder what it is like for parents and caregivers of children and young adults who live with autism or ADHD. These are things that are not as visually obvious at first glance, as opposed to seeing someone in a wheelchair. 

Last year I learnt that some large supermarkets in Australia offer a low-sensory shopping experience called Quiet Hour.  They reduce noise and distractions to help make a difference to customers who find it challenging to shop in a heightened-sensory environment.

My goal in 2021 which will back up my new found knowledge will be to post more videos on Google Maps. Videos are very important because they allow you to see AND hear what a place is like. This will help people make a decision on whether they should go to that place or not. 

Another goal on my 2021 list is to post more photos of shopfronts and business entrances on Google Maps. I have already begun doing this because I would like people to visually see if it is accessible or not. I personally look at photos before I read reviews to help me prepare for where I am going. 

2020 lockdown laws due to Covid meant I could not organise or join any face to face meet ups.  My goal for 2021 is to organise at least one.  Let’s hope we can make this happen. 

In December 2020 I was awarded as a Guiding Star in the category of “Inclusive Mapper”.  Will you join me in being an Inclusive Mapper in 2021?

Do you have any personal and/or Local Guides goals for 2021?

Will you be adding accessibility features in your Google Maps reviews?

Please share your thoughts in the comments or you can write your own post about your Accessibility Goals for 2021 and tag one of the #OneAccessibility team members in your post along with #myaimforaccessibility

If you have a question, suggestion, or contribution, feel free to comment below. You can read last week's roundup article here and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered".

Sydney NSW, Australia
3 comments
Level 9

Re: ♿️ My 2021 Accessibility Goal

Hi @PennyChristie 

you have a great initiative, it will be easily accessible. With this, those who need it can easily find the Accessible place from Google Map.

Carry on!

Stay safe. 

Greetings from Barishal, Bangladesh.
Connect Moderator

Amazing @PennyChristie 

That's the first time when I come to know about low-sensory shopping experience. And it's nice because sometimes the noise irritate alot.

I m really impressed by knowing your goals for 2021 regarding accessibility. And I hope you will achieve your all goals.

Always great to meet you Virtually and I hope someday I will meet my all friends whom I never meet in real life and learn thier experience about Accessibility face to face, that's my goal for 2021 and 2022.

Thanks for sharing amazing post Penny. 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 7

Thanx for sharing this impressive post @PennyChristie .

My best wishes to achieve your 2021 goals.

Keep helping..!!!!