Trail_blazer's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

1st Full Moon of Vesak and Buddh Purnima

Caption :  Full Moon 5th may 2023 shot with 300mmCaption : Full Moon 5th may 2023 shot with 300mm

Yesterday I clicked photos of full moon using my Nikon DSLR. I often click Moonshots But this full moon was just more than that it was big festival of Buddhi PurnimaBuddha Purnima, also known as Vesak or Buddha Jayanti, is a Buddhist festival that commemorates the birth, enlightenment (nirvana), and death (parinirvana) of the historical Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama. It is celebrated on the full moon day in the month of Vaisakha (usually falls in April or May) according to the lunar calendar. We see lots of moonshots in connect but like we all know all around the globe Full moons have Various significance and celebrated widely. From March to April end, South Asia celebrates various festivals and most of them are related to Lunar calendar. Many of you might have read @DeniGu's amazing post about celebrating Bengali New Year in mid April that was on the first day of baishak/vesak and Yesterday Buddhi Purnima was celebrated across various countries in south and east Asia. It was the first full moon of the vesak so now you see the little correlation between the two, New Year was on the first day of vesak/vaishak, beshakh (known as Pohela Boishakh in Bengali )and Buddhi Purnima is on the first full moon of vesak. However date of celebration varies from country to country but in South Asia it's the first full moon of vesak.

The reason this full moon holds special significance in Buddhism because it is believed that the Buddha delivered many of his teachings on this day, including his first sermon, known as the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, which he gave to his first five disciples in the Deer Park in Sarnath , India. Therefore, the full moon day is considered a significant day in the Buddhist calendar and is celebrated with great devotion and reverence by Buddhists around the world.

10 comments
Level 8

Re: 1st Full Moon of Vesak and Buddh Purnima

Is this clicked by you? Amazing click. 👌 

-MD
Level 10

Astrophotography done by me is my original work

Screenshot_20230506-105455.png

. @MrHulk 

Connect Moderator

Caption: Our moon clicked from -37.859312886082876, 144.96724639201597 (LG: @AdamGT)Caption: Our moon clicked from -37.859312886082876, 144.96724639201597 (LG: @AdamGT)

We've all been staring at out r moon since we were kids @Trail_blazer and it always fascinates.  Here's a click from the land down under (-37.859312886082876, 144.96724639201597) and you can see the difference in the location of the pole between our respective shots.

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 10

@AdamGT  What lens and Camera did you use ?

Connect Moderator

@Trail_blazer a Nikon P900 with an 83x zoom range 4.3-357mm f/2.8-6.5 lens, a 24-2000mm equivalent.

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 8

Superb Click....! Very nice and beautifully captured.  Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo.

Yes you are right @Trail_blazer . Full moon day has great value in Buddhism. Prince Siddharth was born on full moon day, he got enlightened and became Buddha on full moon day... as you mentioned, he delivered his first teaching on full moon day which we celebrate as Dhamma Chakra Pravartan Day...also he got Mahaparinirvan on full moon day... Of all these events, his Birth, Enlightenment, and Mahaparinirvan were on Vesak Full Moon day. That's why Vesak Full moon day is so much auspicious. 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 10

Excellent post with a lot of details... Thanks my dear friend @Trail_blazer.

Beautiful shot of the moon.

Which camera, please? Because, the basic resolution (in Mega Pixels) help us to crop... 

Hello dear @AdamGT 

Blood Moon - Nikon Coolpix P1000Blood Moon - Nikon Coolpix P1000

I hope the camera details are available in the caption. The Camera Nikon Coolpix P1000 has Optical Zoom of 3,000 mm with 2X digital zoom - A very useful camera for astro-photography.

Dear @Rohan10, you too may be interested to see this?

Regards to all 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Amazing photo...! I am so much interested in Astronomy and so it's photography. Thank you so much @TravellerG sir for sharing beautiful lunar photo... 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 10

Hi @Trail_blazer 

Nice history about your pictures.

Me also I like taking full moon picture. This is for me the way fill like I'm part of this world and even more. 

DSC_3726.jpg

Regards

GrarFce Joseph  

Nkwetche from #Douala #LetsGuide #Wakawaka #Cameroun
https://www.instagram.com/nkwetche/?hl=fr