Lukelhm's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

A small town boy in Buenos Aires

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia (You'll see me fly in the city of fury) used to sing Gustavo Cerati. Buenos Aires can be seen as a really big and challenging city for anyone who lives in small towns or rural areas, and there was no exception for me.

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 17.56.42.jpeg

I was born and raised in one of the northern provinces of Argentina, and the only knowledge about the city was through newspapers (this makes me look old) and TV. As a family, we went to many places for holidays, but Buenos Aires was never in our plans until last April (2022) when I was invited to my friend's marriage. They were throwing up the party on Carlos Keen, but we had a few days free, the perfect excuse to finally meet this imponent city.

It was Holy Friday. The city was like a trance, with no movement. I travelled with 3 more friends only one had been here before, and that one told us to take care of our stuff, and try not to look like a tourist. It was just one day, so we had to take advantage of that. As it was a holiday and not a lot of people on the streets made us feel more comfortable. We ended up visiting La Bombonera, Caminito, Rosedal, Plaza de Mayo, Puerto Madero, and the Obelisk.

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 17.50.35 (1).jpeg     WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 17.50.35.jpeg

I have to say it gave me a good impression and made me want to come back sooner to actually know the city and not in a flash. I think having a car was the key to making us feel safer about our belongings.

This year I had to go back for some personal appointments. We arrived a Wednesday afternoon at Aeroparque Jorge Newbery and asked for a taxi to take us to the hotel (near the Obelisk). The other day we had an appointment at the embassy, so we took the Subway (D line) to get there (Palermo). That day we spent visiting La Rural (where the three World Cups were exhibited), Jardin Botánico and the Ecopark (ex-zoo), going back to the hotel again on the subway.

World Cup 1986World Cup 1986  Jardín BotánicoJardín Botánico

On Friday, the same history, but got back immediately and bought a ticket to visit the Teatro Colón (which I really recommend), ate something on the Corrientes Av and headed to the Congress (couldn't make on time for a guided tour), had to walk to Plaza de Mayo because the subway (line A) was closed, and arrived just on time for a free guided tour on the Cabildo. After that, a small supper in the Pertutti café. And go back to the hotel with a lovely sunset in front of us.

Teatro ColónTeatro Colón  Plaza del CongresoPlaza del Congreso

On Saturday, we just visited a shopping centre (Galerias Pacífico) and went again to this café in the afternoon, then to Puerto Madero (all walking) until night. On the last day, Sunday, we went to a café I found on TikTok which I totally recommend, Confiteria La Ideal. After that, again to the hotel and a taxi to the airport.

Café PertuttiCafé Pertutti    Cafeteria La IdealCafeteria La Ideal

I have to say I was afraid. One thing is having a car so that you can move more freely with your belongings, but another thing is just walking and using public transport. And for people who are worried to visit Buenos Aires, I suggest giving it a try. It is a lovely and beautiful city that deserves to be visited. Yes, you need to be careful, but it is like any other city. Just try to avoid certain areas with not many people or lights, or places with not that many tourists.

Buenos Aires, CABA, Argentina
6 comments
Level 8

Re: A small town boy in Buenos Aires

@Lukelhm hola 👋  bienvenido a Connect. Te saludo desde Buenos Aires,  quería decirte que fue muy lindo lo de tu post y las fotos encantadoras. Que bueno que te haya gustado la ciudad, la comunidad de local guide están en las redes sociales en el cual vas a conocer muchos más y continuamente están subiendo actividades...

Estas invitado a unirte Argentina Local Guide  (al apretar al enlace te dirige a la comunidad)

Level 8

@Maximilianozalazar muchas gracias!
Sisi, conozco la comunidad. Sólo que aún no los he podido conocer porque los meets no me coinciden con fechas que pueda viajar o que esté en Buenos Aires (el último meet justo coincidio el día que me volvía a casa).

Level 10

@Lukelhm Thanks for the post.

SANJAY KUMAR DATTA
Connect Moderator

Hola @Lukelhm me gusto mucho leer tu post, me recordó al sentimiento que tenía de Buenos Aires, en especial de la CABA, imagínate soy un provinciano que nació en el norte de Argentina y que vive ahora en el sur, la Tierra Del Fuego 😀, pero supongo que todo eso es por influencia de los medios de comunicación que poco más te pintan que la CABA es el Bronks de New York donde las balas y los asaltos están a la orden del día, bueno no es así. Hay problemas como en cualquier ciudad del mundo con 3 millones de habitantes.

De echo cuando la visite por primera vez, por trabajo, fue un enamoramiento a primera vista, su gastronomía, su vida nocturna teatros cines  sus miles de lugares turísticos, museos y mucho más hacen que te sientas muy orgulloso de ser Argentino y que tengamos una ciudad tan hermosa con tantas opciones. 
Tanto es así que a medida de tus posibilidades regreses y la sigas conociendo, querrás visitarla más seguido. 

Ahora como Local Guides podrás encontrar muchas listas en el Google Maps de tu móvil. 

Caption: La ciudad que no duerme - CABA - Buenos Aires- Argentina (Local Guides FaridTDF)Caption: La ciudad que no duerme - CABA - Buenos Aires- Argentina (Local Guides FaridTDF)

Saludos Farid 

Level 8

Hola @FaridTDF ! Exactamente, la TV nos nubla un poco la realidad mostrandonos sólo la realidad que ellos quieren que veamos.

Pero se la disfruta bien. Como cualquier ciudad, hay que tener ciertos recaudos al andar en público (o incluso ciertos lugares), pero aún así no es tan como la pintan.

Hablando con conocidos y mostrándoles la foto del obelisco de noche hasta me trataron de corajudo por sacar el celular en ese lugar. Lo bueno es que los escuché cuando ya estuve de nuevo en casa.

Level 9

Hola @Lukelhm ! Qué buenos recorridos hiciste. La verdad que son verdaderos puntos de interés. Me alegro que te haya gustado.

Con respecto al miedo, si bien hay que tener ciertos cuidados, especialmente al sentarse en un restaurante, yo tengo 55 años, mi mamá 89, mi hija 17, y a ninguna nos han robado en todas nuestras vidas. Sólo una vez me sacaron la cartera que había dejado colgada en el respaldo de una silla. 

Hay que ser cuidadosos, estar en alerta,  pero no diría que es una ciudad para recorrer con temor.

Espero que la próxima vez que vengas por acá podamos acompañarte con la comunidad de Local Guides a conocer otros lugares.

Saludos!!

Mauje