MoniDi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Challenge: Share a review or photo of a monument on Google Maps

Caption: A photo of the white facade of the Royal Palace of Madrid set against a bright blue sky.Caption: A photo of the white facade of the Royal Palace of Madrid set against a bright blue sky.

Update May 2, 2024: Hi everyone, thank you for taking part in this challenge! Submissions are now closed. Please allow us some time to go through all the entries. We will announce the results in a new post. Stay tuned!

To celebrate International Day for Monuments and Sites, which was on April 18, and the importance of cultural heritage, we’re launching a new challenge. A special shoutout to Local Guides @keyur_rege and @MayuriKubal for their ideas to have a challenge dedicated to monuments!

Here’s how you can take part and win a Connect badge. (Keep reading for a surprise badge announcement, too!)

The challenge

1. Write a review or take a photo of a monument or a heritage site.
  2. You can participate with a review or photo that has been added on Google Maps between April 1 and April 30, 2024.
  3. Share a link to your review or your photo in the comments below by April 30 (included)

Note: To share a link to your photo, open Google Maps on your computer. In the top left, click on the hamburger menu and select Your contributions. Choose Photos and find the photo you want to share. In the top right of the image, click on the three dots and then Share. Copy the link and paste it in your comment.

To share a review, go to your profile (on a computer or mobile device), find your review, and tap the Share button under it. Copy the link and paste it below.

Caption: A screenshot of four photos of the Royal Palace of Madrid viewed on a computer, showing a red circle around the three dots in the top right corner of one of the photos and another red circle around the “Share” option in a small white menu window that appears when clicking on the dots.Caption: A screenshot of four photos of the Royal Palace of Madrid viewed on a computer, showing a red circle around the three dots in the top right corner of one of the photos and another red circle around the “Share” option in a small white menu window that appears when clicking on the dots.

The criteria

We will consider helpfulness, quality, and originality. Your contribution should follow our Community policy and the Maps user-generated content policy.

The winners 

Everyone whose review or photo follows the challenge instructions and criteria above will be awarded a Connect challenge winner badge

We’re excited to share that you can now unlock two brand new badges: for winning five and ten challenges! Local Guides who have already won five challenges will receive the Five-time Connect Challenge Winner badge in the coming week, and we will also add a running list of everyone with four and more wins under the Help Desk post “Learn more about challenges on Connect here.”

The results for this challenge will be announced in a new post.

Caption: An illustration showing the two new Connect challenge badges: for winning three challenges (left) and for winning ten challenges (right). The Five-time Winner badge has a yellow ribbon with the number “5” inside and a green background; the Ten-time Winner badge has a yellow ribbon with a “10” inside and a red background.Caption: An illustration showing the two new Connect challenge badges: for winning three challenges (left) and for winning ten challenges (right). The Five-time Winner badge has a yellow ribbon with the number “5” inside and a green background; the Ten-time Winner badge has a yellow ribbon with a “10” inside and a red background.

Join this challenge by April 30. Share your Google Maps review or photo in the comments below for a chance to win a Connect badge!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

141 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Challenge: Share a review or photo of a monument on Google Maps

What? Another challenge and more badges! Yay @MoniDi April 30 is not that far away but I'm in and thank you @keyur_rege and @MayuriKubal for the great challenge idea cos when it comes to challenges, I'm all ears and so is she 😂 🤣

image.png

Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboards from over 100 different countries!!!
Google Moderator

Hi @AdamGT,

Glad to see that you'll be joining this challenge!

Please note that you can participate with a review or photo shared on Maps between April 1 and April 30, not necessarily after the start of this challenge on April 19. We've updated the main post as well to make it clearer for everyone!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you for this exciting challenge @MoniDi 

I am jumping right into it 👍

Congratulations @MayuriKubal and @keyur_rege for the recognition and thanks for the ideas and inspiration 💐

Connect Moderator

Here we go again @MoniDi 

Thank you for this exciting challenge. Please count me in. It might be a hard one really the date is quite close as well,Ooops !!! We will see what we can do anyways.

These badges look very cool and snazzy. Thank your innovative ideas.

See you there

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder | Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 8

Thank you @MoniDi for considering my idea. Let's add more information about the local monuments together!! 

How can I share this challenge with other people to make them participate?

keyur_rege
Level 9

@MoniDi 

Wow, it's great idea and such challenges will encourage and motivated local guides to participate, it as user it will help us to know more about our heritage and monument 

My best wishes to everyone waiting to see the best. 

Congratulations to @keyur_rege & @MayuriKubal . 

Level 10

Amazing! Thanks for this new challenge @MoniDi . Will surely participate in this.   

Congratulations and thanks for the idea @MayuriKubal and @keyur_rege 

Connect Moderator

Hey @DeniGu 

Hot off the press as my contribution was posted on Maps at 8:20am UTC on Friday April 19, that's just approximately 15 minutes ago lol, here is the link to my review and once Google catches up hehe, I will update this post to share the link to my photo for this great challenge! 

And thank you for the clarification regarding and updating the post regarding the submission dates for this challenge.

ps: A tip to fellow Local Guides!

If you are just adding your challenge photo as I have only just done then don't leave it too late in the month because of the likely delay in seeing your photo on Maps and hence being able to share your photo link before April 30 😉

Update 6:15am April 20 (UTC):

I'm pleased to say that from approximately 2:15am on April 20 (UTC) my photo for this challenge (see screenshot below) was finally being shown publicly on Maps. This means that it took approximately 30 hours (1 day and 6 hours) after I first posted the photo for it to be visible on Maps. So again fellow Local Guides, if you are planning on adding your photo for this challenge over the next week or so, you need to take into account the delay that you might experience before your photo is available and hence you are able to share a link to it. Just saying 😉

Here's a "small" screenshot of my photo and a Maps link for this fun challenge! What makes a photo of this idyllic palm tree location a fitting candidate as a photo of a monument for this challenge! You might well ask!

Caption: Photo submitted for photo/review challenge (LG: @AdamGT)Caption: Photo submitted for photo/review challenge (LG: @AdamGT)

Top 100 Local Guides Leaderboards from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 10

Ynt: Challenge: Share a review or photo of a monument on Google Maps

IMG_2560.jpeg

Hi @MoniDi As someone who loves history and visiting iconic points of history, I was very happy to hear about this challenge. I just finished a small tour in Europe. I want to participate in this sweet and naughty challenge with this naughty Belgian statue, in front of which hundreds of people line up.☺️🙏🏻

My google maps review