christophesubilia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

[EXPERIENCE] My first travel to the US - behind the scenes of connect live 2019 (one year ago)

I'm a bit nostalgic writing this post because I realized with automatic reminders with Google Photos it's already been a year since I first came to the United States thanks to Google's invitation to Connect Live 2019.

You can read my experience of connect live 2019 here but I would like to share here some memories that I hadn't published yet like behind the scenes.

9 november 2019 : I took off from Switzerland and stop at London to land finaly in San Francisco.

Welcome print in San Francisco AirportWelcome print in San Francisco Airport

I landed at the end of day and as I was already writing with @AniaKiser about the meetup to see Alcatraz with other local guides, we decided to see each other and to go out directly to discover the night in San Fransico the first day.

Well eat to start the eveningQuesadillas chicken in Mason Diner (SF)Quesadillas chicken in Mason Diner (SF)

We decided to eat at the Mason Dinner and I have a memory that it was very good and well served. It was still quite surreal for me to find myself after a few hours on a plane in another mainland and talk with @AniaKiser and like she had been a friend since ever.

Go to the Nightlife party
Bootie Mashup Party on DNA LoungeBootie Mashup Party on DNA Lounge

It was a really cool night. It was a party with a DJ play music with a mix between two very famous artists to make a final song. I'm even more nostalgic when I think about that memory and I realize how lucky I was to be able to live that experience.

Find DNA Lounge on Google Maps here 

Magowan's Infinite Mirror Maze : a colorful experience
When we were discussing about the organization of the visit of Alcatraz with @AniaKiser , we thought it will be funny to go and try this experience of multi-color mirrors.

Magowan's Infinite Mirror Maze.jpg
Here you can create very cool pictures and selfie
Mirror maze 1.jpg

End of day with amazing sunset with the Golden Bridge

You can find Baker Beach (where pictures has been taken) on Google maps here

Christophe swiss local guide with sunset color and Golden Bridge in San FranciscoChristophe swiss local guide with sunset color and Golden Bridge in San Francisco

Sunset at San FranciscoSunset at San Francisco

Experiences at San Jose

Connect Live 2019 was held in San Jose and here are some pictures in this city

One empty street on San JoséOne empty street on San José

What I thought was cool was to take a scooter and walk around a little later to take night pictures in San Jose. I don't remember the exact location but it was close to the Marriott Hotel.

Street art on a garage in San JoseStreet art on a garage in San Jose

It is certainly one of the most beautiful street art I have seen at San Jose.

15 november 2019 : Back to San Francisco for one day

I still had one more day to enjoy. During Connect Live, I met a lot of local guides and I had the chance to do the last day with @AIMAN_SAEED  because she was also going back to San Francisco before leaving.

Breakfast on Denny's (San Francisco)Breakfast on Denny's (San Francisco)

I had never eaten lunch like this with so many different sweet and savoury choices and possibilities. It was really good.

Christophe (Switzerland) and Aiman (Pakistan) Local GuidesChristophe (Switzerland) and Aiman (Pakistan) Local Guides
We were walking with @AIMAN_SAEED  in San Francisco and we saw the Google offices. We thought it was cool to be able to take a picture at the entrance with the logo.

Church Of 8 Wheels : my last amazing experience in San Francisco
DJ play music on the Church Of 8 Wheels (San Francisco)DJ play music on the Church Of 8 Wheels (San Francisco)

I had read this from home before coming to the United States, but it was hard to imagine a roller disco in an old church.

A few hours before my plane took off, I decided to try this experience. It was really cool. If I go back to San Francisco it's one of the things I would do again.
church of 8 wheel.gif

You can find Church of 8 Wheels on Google Maps here

Conclusion

It was truly a sensational travel experience and being able to mix a Google event and visiting a city like San Francisco was something unique.

With meeting the local guides before, during and after Connect Live 2019, I could understand that they are passionate and real people no matter the situation and the place.

Regardless of the complex times we live in, I am convinced that the local guides represent a community based on one main value that makes a difference: help.

Things and events are evolving and not static. If you missed this great information, you should know that @AdrianLunsong  and the entire moderator local guide team is organizing a big event that brings us together.

Don't loose any time and apply now : Clic here #CommunityLive2020

Be safe.
#frenchlocalguides
Check and follow me as Local Guide on Google Maps
I'm a Local Guide because I love #help #share #discover #travel

I'm from Lausanne, Switzerland and live in Vevey, Switzerland
Other content here : Application video 2020 | My Connect Live 2019 experience| christophesubilia.com | Instagram

#frenchlocalguides
Vevey, Suisse
19 comments
Level 9

Re: [EXPERIENCE] My first travel to the US - behind the scenes of connect live 2019 (one year ago)

IMG_20191122_094936_404.jpg

Thank a lot @christophesubilia for this post. I love it! It's fantastic to have all these memories from California with you and other awesome Local Guides 🤩  🤗 It's great we are friends, who have stayed in touch since CL2019 ☺️

Level 9

Re: [EXPERIENCE] My first travel to the US - behind the scenes of connect live 2019 (one year ago)

🤩 @AniaKiser Oh yeah I really want to go back in San Francisco and enjoy more because there is many things to do and see, It will be crazy to see you again there

Other content here : Application video 2020 | My Connect Live 2019 experience| christophesubilia.com | Instagram

#frenchlocalguides
Connect Moderator

Wow @christophesubilia  @AniaKiser !!! I'm also feeling very nostalgic looking at all my photos/videos from last year! But now I feel even more sad because my travel experience feels very boring compared to yours!! The DJ party, roller skating in an old church, the Hall of Mirrors.. I really need to do better research next time!

Last year, I stayed at an AirBnB in Bernal Heights so I explored that area a bit and then went down to the Mission District for more exploration. I kinda stayed away from downtown and the usual touristy spots, and wanted to 'experience' the outskirts and see what life as a 'local' was like. But I think I need to explore less and actually enter some of the buildings and experience more! 😅 

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 9

There is no comparison to make @AdrianLunsong, local area would be nice ! It's really up to each person to decide what he or she likes.

I would also have loved to discover something more local like you did. Indeed, downtown San Francisco like Union Square is very similar to some of the big cities I've already visited.

I had read that in Mission District there is an Argentinean restaurant, El Techo, which offers one of the best views of SF, I regret not having had the time to go there. Did you have the opportunity to go there?

#frenchlocalguides
Level 9

@AdrianLunsong Don't worry, we haven't experienced all the fun in SF and SJ yet, there are many attractions left! You are more then welcome to join us 'next time' 😉

Connect Moderator

@christophesubilia Ooh.. El Techo looks great!! Unfortunately I was focused on taking photos of the street art as well as going to food places 😅

My day out in SF:

Martha & Bros Cafe, Bernal Heights

Epicurean Trader, Bernal Heights

Tartine Bakery, Mission 

Bi-Rite Creamery, Mission 

Mission Delores park, Mission

KitTea Cat Cafe, Mission  

Peak Design store (I'm a big fan), Hayes Valley

Shopping in Union Square (I needed clothes as I intentionally travelled light to buy clothes in SF)

Met up with a few Local Guides at Punjab Kabab House

Drinks at Mikkeller Bar

Hmm.. trying to get the photos/videos to share here is a bit of a pain at the moment! As I have to resize them to fit the file size limit! So I'll try again later!! 😅 In fact, since I'm doing that I think I'll post my own memories of Connect Live! But that will be later.. I need to do some studying (online course) first! 

Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
Connect Moderator

@AniaKiser That would be awesome!! 😎

Level 6

Hi @christophesubilia Thank you for sharing these beautiful memories with the community. It is truly an enriching experience. Let's hope that this pandemic will go away and that connect live will be back. Take care of  yourself 

Connect Moderator