YuliiaZa's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Google Maps in the wartime

Today is exactly one year since the full-scale military invasion into Ukraine that changed the lives of millions of people, including me. And it also changed my relations with  Google Maps.

It's the Maps that helped me drive across the whole country over a thousand km to save my family, dogs, a colleague, and myself from the hostilities and physical violence. I taught my mom and my colleague to navigate on Google Maps so that they could help me during that insane 3-day drive almost without sleep and food on dangerous roads. Then, the Maps helped me find my way in strange cities where I had (and still have) to stay. Gas stations, grocery stores, hospitals, state offices, and many other POIs were easy to reach thanks to maps.

Our dogs in the car during the exhausting escapeOur dogs in the car during the exhausting escape

Google Maps were especially handy with gas stations after a series of missile attacks that caused a huge deficit of fuel. I had to build an optimal route through dozens of gas stations to be able to refuel at least partially (there was a limit of 10 liters of gas/diesel per car and 20 liters of propane). It was a challenge that would have failed in an unfamiliar city without Google Maps. 

At the same time, editing Maps became unavailable in Ukraine for security reasons and I deeply miss it. I was fond of adding new places and updating information on maps. Writing reviews is still possible, yet they will be visible only to the author and therefore not very helpful. Nevertheless, I continue adding reviews for places I liked and hope they'll become public someday. Anyway, there's little time for such activities now as I'm working hard in a humanitarian organisation to support Ukrainians during wartime. I still hope this ordeal will end and I'll be able to resume my usual happy experience with Google Maps. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the LG notebook I won in a contest during an event for Local Guides in Ukraine. I thought I had lost it forever as I hadn't taken it with me when fleeing from the atrocities, and my flat was damaged by shelling. But thanks to my friend's efforts, this precious gift has been returned to me. 

A branded LG notebook and  pen made of recccled paperA branded LG notebook and pen made of recccled paper

P. S. Update 1: Google Maps resuming most functions in Ukraine 

P. P. S. Update 2: The support of Connect Community gives energy to go on 

Ukraine
14 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Google Maps in the wartime

Thank you so much for posting, @YuliiaZa , and for sharing how your experience in using mapping tools helped you to move away,

Yes please, keep writing your reviews, even if not posted the reviews one day, when everything will be over, will help to remember, will keep a track of the history.

Today is a sad day to remember. My friend from Mykolaiv has a birthday today, I wonder how difficult it is for her to celebrate today.

But I'm sure that for those who live in the countryside every day is difficult, and I think of today as a milestone that demonstrates the right of a people to defend their rights, their homeland, their dignity.
I know, it seems easy to write from the safety of my home, even if I'm doing everything possible because every day we remember that there are those who are fighting for their rights, for their lives, or even just for small things that seem so trivial that you don't even notice them. Little things like having something to eat, having a warm place to sleep, or having the medications we may need.

In the village where I live there is a small community, which was established in March 2022. In September they took part in the most important event in the village, for an exchange of culture and music. There have been very emotional moments, and yesterday I decided to edit a little video to tell them. Not to forget.

I'm just one of many, and I can't speak for the entire community, but I want to thank you for what you're doing for your community.
A few days ago we were talking about the earthquake, remember? Google dedicated a video to us for what we did, and called us Local Heroes. I'm very proud of it, but I think that in your case, and for the many like you who are giving up their own safety to help others, we have to remove the word Local, and leave only the word Heroes.
Thanks again for this post, please write again when you can.

Feb 24 - not to forget 

Level 8

@YuliiaZa que maravilloso post! Que bueno que esta a salvo con los perritos. Realmente estas situaciones hacen que Google maps sean una herramienta escencial 

Level 9

Thanks for reporting your plight @YuliiaZa . Pray to God that everything will be fine soon.

Newton Pakhira
Connect Moderator

Thnak you for sharing that @YuliiaZa . For people not experiencing this first hand, it is nearly impossible to imagine what life must be like for the people of Ukraine - although I was pleased to see in the news coverage that a lot of Ukranians try to live their life as "normal" as possible, in spite of the circumstances.

I hope the situation will end soon in a peaceful way!

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8

Dear @ErmesT , thanks for such a touching and supportive message, and the video too. 

I think everyone does what s/he can - inside or outside Ukraine, each contribution is valuable.

The place where I stay most of the time is quite safe, we have missile attacks only occasionally, while the territories near the frontline and border with russia suffer immensely. I forgot to mention that I also had entered a master's programme at a university on a special scholarship, so need to combine work with studies, which leaves even less time for other activities. It may sound extreme but that was a unique opportunity to fulfill one of my dreams.

Level 8

Thanks, @JanVanHaver . 

Yes, Ukrainians try living their lives. Daily routine, small joys and pleasures help keep us more or less sane and capable, and support the economy which is of crucial importance. It's feasible in most parts of the country but hard on the territories that are under regular shelling and attacks. Also, it's challenging to combine pleasures with the pain from the news and the overall situation, but we somehow succeed. 

Level 10

Such a great experience to read your post. @YuliiaZa thanks for sharing your experience. 

Connect Moderator

@YuliiaZa it's heartwarming to read about your experience and passion as a Local Guide. I am praying that the war ends and everyone finds peace living their normal lives. 

Your passion to contribute to maps is quite impressive, I guess the offline maps would be helpful at this time until your contributions can be effected when mapping activities resume around Ukraine. 

Stay strong and Stay Safe. 

Level 8

Thanks, @EmekaUlor . Offline maps are a must have with all those disruptions of electricity and internet.