VBenedict's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

HOW DOES ONE UNSUBSCRIBE FROM the "Top 100 Google Maps Local Guides Project"?

1000003985.png

Is anyone familiar with this icon on the URL address bar⁉️⁉️⁉️ instead of the security lock?

Ever sice I registered for the "Top 100 Google Maps Local Guides Project" I have bee having serious security issues.  Includind this highly suspicious icon on the URL address bar of Chrome instead of the security lock.

I do not know if the security issues I am experiencing are a coincidence or what... hence, since the "Top 100 Google Maps Local Guides Project" is not an OFFICIAL Google Maps project I wish to unregister and block 🚫 it! 

I do not see the benefits Of disclosing so much sensitive personal information.

The sign  up process was cumbersome and full of glitches.  I did not have the opportunity to cancel out of the sign-up process.

~ Virginia Benedict 🕊

10 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: HOW DOES ONE UNSUBSCRIBE FROM the "Top 100 Google Maps Local Guides Project"?

Hello @VBenedict 

Sorry for your troubles!!! I am not too sure if Adam's leaderboard is your problem or not.

Nevertheless in following the posts I found this below:

5.2 How to Leave

If at any time you wish to remove yourself from future updates of the leaderboards then simply visit the data entry system and zero out your data in the relevant sections. 

Please do that and see if its what you want !!! Your feedback here will be appreciated. Wish you goodluck

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: HOW DOES ONE UNSUBSCRIBE FROM the "Top 100 Google Maps Local Guides Project"?

Hello @VBenedict 

Sorry for your troubles!!! I am not too sure if Adam's leaderboard is your problem or not.

Nevertheless in following the posts I found this below:

5.2 How to Leave

If at any time you wish to remove yourself from future updates of the leaderboards then simply visit the data entry system and zero out your data in the relevant sections. 

Please do that and see if its what you want !!! Your feedback here will be appreciated. Wish you goodluck

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 10

Hi @VBenedict,

Your browser has been updated and so has the icon you're seeing next to the URL. 

Adam's leaderboards have nothing to do with this. 

If you do wish to not participate in sharing your public contributions in top100 you can message him directly. 

Thank you for understanding. 

"It's the not the Destination, It's the Journey." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads

Connect Moderator

Hi @VBenedict 

That icon represents toggle switches, it was added to the Chrome app, if you tap it you can see more info about the website you are visiting, in your screenshot is google.com so more info will appear like the last time you visited and security info as well. 

You can follow steps @SholaIB already shared with you if you want to leave the top 100 table.

Hope that helps to clear things 

Level 10

Hi @VBenedict.

That icon is to get page information on Mobile Chrome. If you tap it, you'll see site specific info regarding the connection security (https), cookies, history, and the Permissions tab (which shares the same icon). The permissions are page specific, such as Location, Microphone Use, Pop-up/notification allowance. I just checked the Top100 website and there are no permissions being requested, but when I click that icon from the Google home page, I can see that my location was on and my microphone was blocked (I turned off location, thanks!). On the PC, this information is under the Lock or Alert icon in the URL bar. 

There is no correlation to the Chrome system icon and participating in the Top 100 boards. On the T100 system, you're only providing information that you have already made publicly available through your Maps profile, so there's nothing new out there. In addition, part of the participation agreement with the Top 100 boards is to keep your Maps profile public, which prevents an LG from adding false information. Since you've gone private, your actions would disqualify you from the Boards. 

I hope this helps alleviate some of your concerns. If you want to review your general Google security, you can do a Security Checkup for your Google account by visiting myaccount.google.com. 

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

Hello fellow LG, @VBenedict,

You asked:

"Is anyone familiar with this icon on the URL address bar".
Yes, I am familiar with this icon; this icon works exactly as explained by our @LaloPadilla.

You also mentioned:
"...I have been having serious security issues..."

I would request you to kindly discuss "these issues" directly with the author, please.

Of course, if you intend to leave the program, then you may follow the instructions given by our @SholaIB.

I feel that the detailed response by my friend @JustJake is also very useful.

Greetings from India.

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

@Lukas_  Thank you for confirming that the icon on the address bar is legit.  Chrome should have noted it in the updates "what's new"  and especially since i am a premium member.  That is a relief, Thanks-a-Million

Re: the unofficial Top LGs, I have not seen any benefits or further announcements thus far.  .

Where would one find updates?

I absolutely 💯 ♥️  you guys/girls... I am so proud to be part of all of you.

~Virginia Benedict 🕊 🇺🇸

Level 8

@TravellerG  Thank you... 🕊🇺🇸

Level 8

@JustJake  Hello! 

Thank you! You bros are the best

Level 10

@VBenedict You bet. We're all concerned with security & want everyone to feel comfortable with their time on Connect, as well as participating in the various events and community projects.

JustJake TRAC Badge