RussKH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Monster Hunting in Scotland

We have been doing a bit of monster hunting this week. Whilst visiting the Highlands of Scotland we stayed next to Loch Ness (map),notorious for its infamous Loch Ness Monster.

RussKH_0-1597646054943.jpeg

To investigate further we visited The Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition where we discovered there had been sightings of a 'watery beast' in the Loch for hundreds of years! 

Interest in the Beast grew in July 1933, when a local chap and his wife saw "a most extraordinary form of animal" cross the road in front of their car. They described the creature as having a large body (about 4 feet (1.2 m) high and 25 feet (8 m) long) and a long, wavy, narrow neck, slightly thicker than an elephant's trunk and as long as the 10–12-foot (3–4 m) width of the road.

From then on there have been over a thousand 'sightings' and photographs of the creature, including this famous one which caused an international sensation in 1934 as proof of contact.

RussKH_1-1597646054685.jpeg

In 1993 though it was proved that this was a hoax photograph and was in fact a model. Unfortunately many photos have been faked over the years and there has yet to be a bonefide photograph taken of the monster.

In the 70 years since the sighting that rekindled interest there have been hundreds of scientific surveys, sonar scans, water chemical testing even psychic summonings but nothing conclusive has been discovered.

The conclusion reached by the Loch Ness Centre & Exhibition is that despite decades of attempts by top scientists and naturalists the jury is still out.  Loch Ness has a surface area of 56 km2 (22 sq mi) but due to its great depth, it is the largest by volume in the British Isles. Its deepest point is 230 m (126 fathoms; 755 ft) so there is an incredibly lot of water for a watery beast to hide in!

RussKH_2-1597646054728.jpeg

The Loch Ness Monster, like many local myths and legends, will continue to be a source of intrigue and even as recently as June 2020 the saga was perpetuated when a tourist snapped a tantalisingly close up photo of a 'watery beast' (newspaper link).

So I'll leave you to make your own conclusions and meanwhile I'll tuck into some local Scottish delicacies of neeps, tatties and haggis followed by deep fried Mars Bar and washed down with Irn Bru!

Russell Holden
Fort Augustus, UK
2 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Monster Hunting in Scotland

Hi @RussKH,

I have just released your post from the spam filters. I would like to apologize for your post being marked as spam. Our filters run 24/7 and they can be a little harsh at times.

You can visit this article to learn more - Why was my Connect post marked as spam?.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Re: Monster Hunting in Scotland

Hey @RussKH 

Sorry your post was pulled in as spam. Just saw it now and it's a nice post really. You must have spent time to put it together.👍🏽

My latest August monthly topic  and please leave your comments and opinions kindly.

Thanks 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge