Rohan10's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Nehru Science Center : Episode 1: The Legacy of the Indian Marut Fighter Jet at Nehru Science Center

Nestled amidst the interactive exhibits and scientific marvels of the Nehru Science Center in Worli, Mumbai, stands a testament to Indian ingenuity and ambition – the magnificent model of the HF-24 Marut fighter jet. More than just a static display, this Marut embodies the story of India's quest for self-reliance in the realm of aerial warfare.

The Marut Fighter Jet.

Born from Vision, Forged in Fire:

The Marut, meaning "Spirit of the Tempest," was conceived in the 1950s under the visionary leadership of Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. Driven by a desire to break free from dependence on foreign military technology, India embarked on the ambitious project of designing and building its own fighter jet. This endeavour, spearheaded by the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), faced numerous challenges, from limited resources and technical expertise to political and bureaucratic hurdles.

Overcoming Adversity, Achieving Excellence:

Despite the odds, the Indian scientists and engineers persevered. Drawing inspiration from indigenous knowledge and collaborating with international experts, they gradually brought the Marut to life. The jet, boasting a sleek delta wing design and powerful Orpheus engines, promised exceptional performance and manoeuvrability.

Taking to the Skies:

In 1961, the Marut prototype took to the skies for the first time, marking a historic moment in Indian aviation. Over the next decade, the aircraft underwent extensive testing and refinement, eventually entering service with the Indian Air Force in 1975.

A Symbol of Pride and Capability:

The Marut, though ultimately not mass-produced due to various factors, served with distinction during the 1971 Indo-Pakistani War. Its agility and firepower proved instrumental in defending Indian airspace. More importantly, the Marut project laid the foundation for India's future success in developing advanced indigenous aircraft like the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft.

The Enduring Legacy:

Today, the Marut model at the Nehru Science Center serves as a powerful reminder of this pioneering endeavour. It inspires young minds to dream big and strive for excellence in the field of science and technology. It stands as a testament to the unwavering spirit of the Indian people, who dared to challenge the impossible and built an aircraft that not only soared through the skies but also propelled India's journey towards self-reliance in the aerospace domain.

Visiting the Marut at Nehru Science Center:

If you find yourself in Mumbai, make sure to visit the Nehru Science Center and pay your respects to the Marut. Stand beneath its wings, imagine the roar of its engines, and let the spirit of this magnificent machine ignite your own dreams of innovation and achievement.

Plenty of Parking Space is available. Charges Rs. 30 for Two Wheeler and Rs. 50 for Four Wheeler.

Additional Information:

• The Marut model at Nehru Science Center is a full-scale replica of the aircraft.
  • The Science Center also houses a small exhibition dedicated to the Science and Culture of India.
  • Visitors can learn about Science and Culture. I am going to write more episodes on it.

Entry Fees:

Entry fees are different for different facilities which are explained on their official website.

Timing:

Opening Hours: 09:30 to 18:00 Hrs.

Ticket Counter Timing: 09:30 to 17:30 Hrs.

How to Reach:

Nearest Attractions:

1. Nehru Planetarium
  2. Haji Ali Dargah
  3. Mahalaxmi Temple
  4. Four Season 5 Star Hotel
  5. Mahalaxmi Race Course

I hope this post has given you a glimpse into the fascinating story of the Indian Marut fighter jet. More episodes are on the way about Nehru Science Center. Stay tuned.

Thanks for visiting.

Other Episodes

2. Nehru Science Center : Episode 2 : Meet the Great Indian Scientists

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
15 comments
Level 8

Re: Nehru Science Center : Episode 1: The Legacy of the Indian Marut Fighter Jet at Nehru Science Ce

@Rohan10

VVery well covered and a complete guide for Nehru science center. 

Thank you for sharing. 

Abhishek Patki
Connect Moderator

Re: Nehru Science Center : Episode 1: The Legacy of the Indian Marut Fighter Jet at Nehru Science Ce

Wonderful post @Rohan10 

I have been to the Nehru Planetarium but never knew about the Nehru Science Center and the Marut fighter plane there.

The Marut is truly our Symbol of Pride and Capability:

I appreciate all the details about the timings, tickets, etc.

The photos are perfect too 👍

Level 7

What a detailed post about Marut Fighter Jet @Rohan10 , you have beautifully provided us all facts and details, if one has to visit the place. I love fighter jets and their voice, it gives a huge sense of pride and happiness. The roaring sound of jets is a next level glory! Eagerly waiting for the future episodes on Nehru Science Center! Regards!

Level 8

@Rohan10 

Explained very nice rohan

Level 9

Great post @Rohan10 . I am thrilled to know about history of the development of Marut, the fighter jet.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Cheers!

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |
Level 8

I visited this place on my school picnic 14yrs ago 2nd class

Was my 1st picnic, it was great to visit there, then neheru planetarium we went (there is a building opposite if it cylindrical ).

Level 8

Thank you so much @abhishekpatk for your kind words. I am glad you liked it. Its my pleasure to share here. Thanks again.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 8

Thank you so much @Tushar_Suradkar for your valuable words. Nehru Planetarium and Nehru Science Center are adjacent to each other but there entry is 180 deg opposite. Thats why many might doesn't notice it. Thanks again for your kind words buddy.  

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 8

Thank you so much @AnubhaBangia ! I'm thrilled you enjoyed the post about the Marut. Sharing the history and details of such a remarkable aircraft is truly a passion, and I'm glad it could resonate with you. And I completely understand your love for fighter jets! That thundering roar is unmatched, it sends shivers down your spine and fills you with awe. Your comment fuels my excitement for the next episodes on Nehru Science Center - you can definitely expect more fascinating stories and treasures! Stay tuned! and thanks again for your kind and thoughtful response.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel