HeyitsNicho's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

On top of the sun and moon (pyramid...?)

top of sun pyramide.jpg

Image 1: View on top of the sun pyramid, Visoko. 

Sarajevo
This might not be a vacation spot that's "on the radar" but I can understand that as it does not have beaches. What it does have is an intricate history of bravery, loss and integration in which when you go to holiday in Sarajevo pack "listing ears!" 

If you do not have a tour guide I will highly recommend two spots in which history can be visibly seen (1) in front of the Sacred Heart Cathedralwhere "Sarajevo roses" are on the ground. These red spots you can find throughout the city will represent an area where three people or more lost their lives during the Siege of Sarajevo (1992-1995). And (2) right behind the Cathedral - if you are facing the Cathedral you've got influence from Christianity turn around you'll see Ottoman Baroque architecture which is used as a shop. down to the street on the right of the Cathedral, there is more architecture of the Austro-Hungarian influence and also influence from Communism by Yugoslavia for example. That is 4 eras in one sight and I think this is a great example of the cultural influences you'll meet when walking through the city. When walking through the city make sure to take a trip to Baščaršija as it is a great spot for shopping, smoking hookah, drinking and eating and sightseeing. It is in addition is a hot spot for Muslim tourism  as it was built by the Ottoman Empire as you will see the Sebilj wwhich is can be used to get water but it was built to wash before praying in one of the plenty surrounding the mosque. Nowadays it is common place to get a selfie, but as you can see in the picture below how beautiful the area is with greenery in the back. Not too far away from here is the Sacred Hearth Cathedral in which on your walk there are a lot of shops and also a fantastic mosque from the 1950s Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque, the clock tower, and Sarajevo Meeting of Cultures.

church.jpg
Image 2: Sacred Heart Cathedral

square.jpg
Image 3: Baščaršija

library.jpg

Image 4: Gazi Husrev-beg's Library

There is a specific place in Europeans heart in which started is as the is a specific spot in which is referred to as the "shots in Sarajevo." There is a museum here which is next to the memoir, sometimes there is a replica car outside but it is not out there every day. Continue upwards towards the stream towards the Sarajevo City Hall! Across from city hall you can see this white building that is a restaurant.

shots of sarajevo mususeem.jpg
Image 5: Museum (open at 10am). On our last day here I tried to see it before we left, but I was here at 9am sadly haha.

Story time for Inat kuća
So restaurant was originally a house where the City Hall was built. There was a few surrounding buildings in which the government wanted to have the City Hall's there. Most of the agreed to sell their property. However, there was one specific resident who didn't want give up his property. The government offered him three times its worth. However, he declined. In later negotiation. He would later agree later on one premise, including price. Is that the House had to be built brick by brick on the other side of the restaurant of the river. The government agreed to it and while. His house was being deconstructed and monitored the progress day by day until the the house was built brick by brick in putting brick by brick on the other side. And this house is now the oldest restaurant in Sarajevo, and that's why it is similarly roughly called. Inat kuća = Hardheadedness. If you need to buy some clothing for a nice evening out:

inat.jpgImage 6: Inat kuća

Sarajevo City Center - has a lot of international brands to name a few it is stores like Zara, Pull&Bear and Massimo Dutti. It feels as like an american inspired mall type as it does have a food court on the top floor with 15 vendors  (and tasty smoothie shops ) some are Bosnian, Italian and from Kentucky, America.
It does have free parking for about 15 minutes.
mall.jpg
Image 7: Sarajevo City Centerr

Fun fact:
Winter OL' 1984 we were lucky enough to catch the hotel which had a lot of people which was built for the Sarajevo 1984 Olympic Winter Games in which it has an amazing aesthetic. If you are curious to the hotel and how the room I was in looked like here is a review. I had the pleasure of staying here during the my time here and it is a grandeur as it looks.
hotel.jpg

Image  8: Hotel Holiday. 

Sights
film place.jpg
Image 9: Sarajevo National Theatre which is the space used for the Sarajevo Film Festival.

flame.jpg
Image 10: The eternal flame which is a memorial to the military and civil victims of the Second World War. 

brewery.jpg

Image 11: Take a tour to see their local beer "Sarajevska Pivara" brewery!

statue.jpg

But honestly there is so much greenery and lovley sight when being in this town. Sarajevo is so gorgeous.

Visoko

We were also in Visoko in Bosnia and Herzegovin which is another lovely town which has had a lot of cultural influences and lots of greenery. For the most time we spent out time at doing our own research on the pyramids of Bosnia. I do feel as thought the next post should be taken with a grain of salt, with the considering that academics have explicitly said its not "a pyramid" whilst other academics have said that it is.  This is perhaps unimportant discourse just for a casual post like this so I will referrer to it as pyramids as the its called in Bosnia. However if you do want to check it out for yourself. Here is a the place in which you can to and see but there is a lot of stair step sbut it allows you to get an amazing view over Visoko.

Controversially it may and may not be considered a human-made ancient pyramid dating back 34,000 years. In the general vicinity there are about 5 of these called
'Pyramid of the Sun,'
Pyramid of the Moon'
Pyramid of 'Love,' '
Pyramid of Earth,' and
'Pyramid of Dragon
overview.jpg

Image 13: Overview of all the pyramids. 

The focus in this article will the Pyramid of the Sun and the Pyramid of the Moon as those are the two Pyramids we went and visited.

The Sun Pyramid is the one where most things happen such as enter the Tunnel Ravne and here there are multiple meditation rooms, megalith(s), untouched water. I would recommenced hiring a tour guide as you can find some fascinating information about the ravne and artifacts found throughout. But it is also important to take some time for yourself and meditate in these rooms as it was also negative ions with benches nearby.  Which holds a special place as it is said to be healthy vibrations. It is 2,6 miles or about 3,8 kilometers in which will postered with exits signs, practical information and distance.  Outside the Ravne tunnels are vendors selling items ranging from stones/quartz, juice/smoothie and food.  There is also a little museum here but I am not sure if you need to actually have a tour guide in there as it is not always open. 
If you continue to go upwards the road (which you turn right on from the Ravne tunnels) you can eventually get to the top which will be an amazing point of view. OBS! it is on a steep hill but honestly worth it. See image below for the great view in which you will have an amazing view of the sunset, the moon pyramid and Visoko. The stone ruins on top of here is actually from a royal castle town built in the 14th centuries. It is also here it is reportedly a lot of the energy from the sun energy comes out. So besides the view and history, there is a third reason to make your way up.

flag.jpg

Image 14: Flag on top of the sun pyramide

Unfortunately all my images are too large to post and the rest are videos. I might upload it to youtube with the week. 

Moon
On the top of the moon pyramid is private owned land which you can have the owner of the create a buffet for you and your party. Which was really tasty and had all the traditional meals of Bosnia such as Meze, Sataraš, Bosnian Smoked Cheese to name a few and you can also purchase homemade Rakia.
Unless you attend this there is not much to do on the Moon Pyramide, but you might be able to ask to attend the to go up to see the top.
view of the moon pyramide.jpg

Image 15: View of the Moon Pyramide. 

Nicholai Martin/Nick M
@HeyitsNicho
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
3 comments
Level 10

Re: On top of the sun and moon (pyramid...?)

Nice - though from the title I thought it was going to be about Teotihuacan.- the sun and moon pyramids outside Mexico City.
The "Tunnel Ravne" link seems to be broken....

Level 7

@Reymono Hahaha okay ^^ this is probably far different than Teootihuacan! 

Thank you for letting me know about the link, It is updated now. 

Nicholai Martin/Nick M
@HeyitsNicho
Level 10

Hi @HeyitsNicho Thanks for sharing photos and information.

I have only visited Mostar and Medjugorje in Bosnia and Herzegovina, many years ago.

Your post reminds me of those places. I would also like to visit the places you mentioned in the post, they are very beautiful.