Tushar_Suradkar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

RECAP - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities

The 48th accessibility meetup was a huge success, thanks to the curiosity and questions asked by @Shrut19 and @SagarDiary during a previous meetup.
Also, thanks to @NERKARAMIT and @Madankumarj who co-hosted the meetup in person.

This meetup was organized to educate local guides about accessibility features found on the streets.

Banner of the Meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with DisabilitiesBanner of the Meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities

The following attended the meetup in person.

1. Mohit Koli 
2. Devesh More 
3. Shraddha
4. Janhavi Pawar
5. Ashwin Abhyankar
6. Anannya Banerjee
7. Nerkar Amit (co-Host)
8. Madankumar Jadhav (co-Host)
9. Tushar Suradkar (Host)

Local guides who attended online:

Online attendees - Meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with DisabilitiesOnline attendees - Meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities

The LIVE demo included:
1. Tactile Path on sidewalk footpaths in Pune.
2. Accessible Bus Stop and Bus.
3. Adding small businesses run by persons with disabilities PwD.
4. Accessible ATM.
5. Accessible Elevators.

Demo 1. Tactile Path

This was an explanation of the various parts of a tactile path and their meaning.

Demo at the Meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with DisabilitiesDemo at the Meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities

Demo 2. Accessible Bus Stop

We reviewed the adjacent bus stop, checked for availability of Ramps, etc.

Demo 3. Adding small businesses run by persons with disabilities PwD

We interviewed the owners of small businesses on Sus Road in Pune that were owned and operated by Persons with Disabilities or PwD.
We educated them about Google Maps and how people use it from the comfort of their homes to locate businesses nearby,

The PwD were very surprised to know that people no longer ride around town searching for small businesses.
 The small business owners were also informed that we have added them to Maps.

Amit Nerkar demonstrated adding places to Google Maps LIVE Google Meetup by sharing his screen.
As a host in person and host of the Google meetup, I LIVE streamed the various shops owned by the PwD and also the accessibility features to online attendees.

Demo 4. Accessible ATM

I demonstrated using headphones or earphones with the 3.5 mm audio jack with an ATM.
And how the blind people use this feature.

Demo at the Meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with DisabilitiesDemo at the Meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities

Demo 5. Accessible Elevator Lifts

In a nearby building, I demonstrated an accessible elevator. 
1. Check if the elevator entrance is wide enough for a wheelchair.
2. Check if there is enough space inside the elevator for a wheelchair.
3. Check for Braille letters on elevator buttons.

Demo at the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with DisabilitiesDemo at the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities 

At the end of the meetup, we gathered at Chef's Craft Nation for cold drinks and snacks.

• Local guides were introduced to the Local Guides Connect website and its features,

Attendees at the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with DisabilitiesAttendees at the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities 

• While enjoying the Mango and Strawberry shakes, local guides engaged in deep conversations about Google Maps, its features, tips, and tricks.

Deep Conversation during the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with DisabilitiesDeep Conversation during the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities

• Local guides were educated on aligning their interests with Photography, Travel, Food & Drinks, and Meetups on LG Connect.

Each attendee of the meetup also got a nice card which each one signed with an optional message and retained as a souvenir of the meetup.

Souvenir card with signatures and compliments at the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with DisabilitiesSouvenir card with signatures and compliments at the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities

Amit Nerkar stamped everyone's wrist with the special Local Guides stamp ‌👆

Several local guides joined the meetup for the first time:
• Janhavi Pawar
• Shraddha
• Devesh
• Ashish Abhyankar
• Mohit Koli

Sharing souvenirs, stickers, badges, and cards at the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with DisabilitiesSharing souvenirs, stickers, badges, and cards at the meetup - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities

Anannya, Nerkar Amit, and Madan Kumar Jadhav also attended the meetup in person.

🏔 Also read recap of this meetup by @Madankumarj 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Recap-Accessibility-meet-up-Pune-Hosted-by-...

Pune, Maharashtra, India
56 comments
Level 9

Re: RECAP - Adding Small Businesses by Persons with Disabilities

I met such beautiful guidance in your meetup program. Now we have to proceed further on the fifth topics given by us. Thank you @Tushar_Suradkar 

Sagar Shivdas Kanherkar
Connect Moderator

Thank you, dear @SagarDiary.

You were not only the inspiration for this meetup, but also, I am glad that you picked all the points covered in it 👍

Looking forward to meeting you soon in Mumbai 🤝

Level 8

It was a great meet up @Tushar_Suradkar. I attended it virtually and even though I got clear about Accessibility concepts. You have demonstrated wonderfully. I am glad to participate virtually. Thanks  @NERKARAMIT and @Madankumarj 

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Connect Moderator

Thank you for the appreciation, dear @Rohan10 👍

Looking forward to meeting you in Mumbai soon 🤝

Level 8

Dada @Tushar_Suradkar wonderful recap & wonderful meet-up & topic, that day i also want to join to virtual meet-up but I  was more busy that day to usually others days.

• Nice topic 
  • Nice meet-up 

Nicely presentation of small business & small business owner feature on the post - kudos Dada & team.🤝

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Level 8

@Tushar_Suradkar 

NICE 

The Accessible Information Standard is a law to make sure that people who have a disability, impairment or sensory loss are given information they can easily read or understand.

Connect Moderator

Thank you, dear @ShailendraOjha, for the appreciation 👍

It is not Tushar and Team.

You, me, and all Indian local guides are the team 🤝

Connect Moderator

Thank you, dear @mohanghyar, for the appreciation 👍

Looking forward to meeting you in a meetup in Akola in the future.

Level 7

Simply outstanding 👏🏼 specially the way every key aspect has been covered and explained. Regret to miss the opportunity joining this.