Globe_trotter_Ish's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

[Recap] : Let's Guide In Edinburgh, Scotland (Local Guides Meet-Up & 36 Photo Walk)

I recently hosted a Photo walk meet-up in Edinburgh , Scotland as a part of the Global 36 Photo Walk,  A Global Initiative by @PaulPavlinovich  . Edinburgh is an amazing historic city and has both a mediaeval Old Town and an elegant Georgian New Town with gardens and neoclassical buildings. It has been recognized as the capital of Scotland since at least the 15th century !

A collage of photos taken during the #36walk photo meetup in Edinburgh by me.A collage of photos taken during the #36walk photo meetup in Edinburgh by me.

I started my photo walk from the Grassmarket ( the end point of the famous Victoria street , one of the most photographed places in the Old town area in Edinburgh !) Took a few snaps there , did a few Map edits , uploaded photos and then went to have dessert at the Sofis deserts shop!  After having my ice-cream, I headed towards Victoria Street via the ‘West Bow’ which is the start point of Victoria street and is an amazing spot for taking photos ! The Victoria street’s stand-out charm is indebted to its arcade of independent shops. Think literary gold stacked upon high in the Old Town Bookshop, artisanal cheeses in I.J Mellis Cheesemonger shop, the trendy wares of Swish and local art prints lighting up the Red Door Gallery. Hours can be lost marveling at the bespoke goods from these head-turning local businesses.

Snapshot of the #36walk Edinburgh route created by me on MapsSnapshot of the #36walk Edinburgh route created by me on Maps

I made sure to visit the famous ‘40 Victoria Street’ shop also known as the ‘Museum of Context’ , a  magical emporium having the official Harry Potter merchandise and fantastical finds by local artisans ! The Harry Potter fans here surely know it as it's considered one of the ‘Potter pilgrimage sites’ as the fans call it ! With its an array of vibrant buildings, shops of all sizes and descriptions, noteworthy arches, cobblestones and general air of eccentricity, it’s no surprise that Victoria Street is the inspiration for the ever-so fabulous Diagon Alley ! You can check out their amazing collection through my photos in the photo album . Here is the  #36walk route Map that I created using the #MyMaps' feature in Maps.

After a walk through the amazing local shops on Victoria street, I headed towards the famous Grassmarket and enjoyed a chai latte at Made in Italy cafe and then started my walk towards Lawnmarket via Victoria street as it's a part of the photogenic Royal Mile ! I ended the meet-up at the I love Scotland souvenir shop to get a few souvenirs for friends and family. Overall the photo walk was amazing! Uploaded lots of amazing pictures on Maps, did some Maps edits , wrote reviews and had lots of fun !  Happy to share my walk experience with my fellow Local Guides !

Thanks for reading ! 

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: [Recap] : Let's Guide In Edinburgh, Scotland (Local Guides Meet-Up & 36 Photo Walk)

@Globe_trotter_Ish 

Amazing photo walk.  The photos in the Album are as clear as crystal. I am sure you did enjoy it. Thank you for the recap.

By the way I like your pegman. Was that a coffee shop or ice-cream shop? It's beautiful. Congratulations on a successful meet up.

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 8

Re: [Recap] : Let's Guide In Edinburgh, Scotland (Local Guides Meet-Up & 36 Photo Walk)

@Globe_trotter_Ish wait, you've visit Musuem of Context? It is a dream place for every potterhead like me😭. Can you share more photos of this place in your upcoming posts? 

Do you know even @DeniGu is a potterhead. Both of us would love to read more about it.

Google Moderator

I'm a Potterhead indeed! But I honestly didn't know about the Museum of Context before reading this post. 😍 Thank you for the tag, @AnshukMitra!

@Globe_trotter_Ish I loved the photos you shared in your photo album! It looks like you had a wonderful walk. Did you get something for yourself from the Museum of Context?

I agree with Anshuk that if you decide to share more about Harry Potter-related places, you'll certainly have an audience here. 😁 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much @SholaIB ! Yes , the walk was amazing , felt like going into a different magical era.. I am glad you liked the photos ! Thank you once again !

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

You love Harry Potter too @AnshukMitra ? Wow then you must have loved it there ! I spent almost 45 min inside the museum ! There were lots of people so didn't take video but it was amazing ! If I knew earlier , I would have called you to show you the place when I was there ! May be next time ! A fun fact , its name was incorrect on Maps , I was there so did the edit and now its approved and live !!! 😊 The feeling of edits being approved and live on such amazing places is really fascinating and gives a proud feeling that we are Local Guides ! 

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

Wow.. you too a Potterhead @DeniGu ? I wish I knew earlier , would have made this a virtual meetup so that all Potterheads would join ! You can check the pics in the photo album but couldnt take a video as it was crowded. Edinburgh is a city where you literally get the feeling that you are in the Harry Potter world ! Will scoop out some time and try to write a post on my travel here , if time permits ! Have got a few soviniers for my kid and few of my friends as they had requested ! Its a 3 floor paradise for Harry potter fans ! Must visit if you are in Edinburgh ! Thank you so much for going through my post @DeniGu and @AnshukMitra !

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

Great initiative and wonderful photo walk @Globe_trotter_Ish , you were alone but you did some great work, because your photos will help thousands of people who will see these amazing places by Google maps.

Thanks for sharing 😊

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

Thank you @KashifMisidia ji ! The city is really beautiful and feel like you are in a new magical world ! Happy that you liked the photos and post. Thanks !

My Instagram profile 

Connect Moderator

Looks like you had lovely weather for it @Globe_trotter_Ish how unlike Scotland ;). Glad you had a great day and thanks for writing out your recap. I've added it to the main post.

Chris and I are hoping to travel again perhaps next year assuming interest rates don't sky rocket and we're planning New York and some parts of UK.

Paul