Rednewt74's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Ring in the New Year with Hoppin' John:

For over four decades, our family has ushered in the year with a tradition rich in flavor and steeped in Southern charm: “Hoppin' John”. This humble dish, hailing from  the American southeast, isn't just a delicious start to the year – it's a symbol of prosperity and good fortune to come.

The original recipe called for red peas (which only recently have become available again), but we've always used Black-eyed Peas. The recipe is gluten-free and. if you omit the ham, it is vegetarian as well!

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup Goya Jasmine rice
  • Hatfield Maple Ham Steak (optional)
  • Sweet potato (optional)
  • Krusteaz Gluten-free Honey Cornbread (optional)

Instructions:

1. Heat olive oil in a cast iron pan. Add green pepper and onion, sautéing until tender. Stir in garlic powder and black-eyed peas. Caption: Start with lots of sweet onion and then add gren pepperCaption: Start with lots of sweet onion and then add gren pepper

2. Prepare the Rice: While peas simmer, cook Jasmine rice according to package instructions. If having cornbread, start this as well.
    Caption: Jasmine rice on the right, G-F cornbread center, warm cornbread served with butter and locally sourced  Mulberry jam!Caption: Jasmine rice on the right, G-F cornbread center, warm cornbread served with butter and locally sourced Mulberry jam!

3. Heat a separate pan and cook Hatfield Maple Ham Steak to a golden brown. You can dice the ham and add it to the pea mixture, or serve it whole alongside the rice and peas.
    Caption: Onions, green  pepper, Black-eyed peas simmering on left; golden brown ham steak on rightCaption: Onions, green pepper, Black-eyed peas simmering on left; golden brown ham steak on right

4. Serving: Pile jasmine rice onto plates, top with the savory black-eyed peas, and add a slice of ham if desired. Don't forget the optional sweet potato and warm cornbread for a truly satisfying feast. This year we had cornbread with Mulberry Jam.

Caption: Hoppin John, served with ham steak and sweet potatoCaption: Hoppin John, served with ham steak and sweet potato

I can’t  swear to Hopping John’s ability to help with prosperity and good luck, but it is a delicious and easy way to start the year

Tips:

• For some heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the peas while simmering.
  • Leftovers? No problem! Hoppin' John tastes even better the next day. Just reheat gently and enjoy!

May your New Year be as flavorful and abundant as this timeless Hoppin' John!

Fine print: assisted by #Bard

Alfred New
TRAC Badge
2 comments
Level 7

Re: Ring in the New Year with Hoppin' John:

In The Kitchen with @Rednewt74 ... Love it, man!

I have had a lot is dishes in my day, but have never tried Hoppin John. That's def a Southern inspired plate, though 😋 I'm all about some ham steaks and cornbread.

@MelTG had a different version of this when she was working in North Carolina and wasn't a fan, but yours looks much better than what she had! I make pork and sauerkraut for my family on New Year's Day. My grandma was Irish - Penn Dutch and I keep her tradition going. It's not the most photogenic dish but it's slow roasted deliciousness 🤤

1000039955.jpg

All my best to you and yours for 2024 🥳

Level 10

Re: Ring in the New Year with Hoppin' John:

@Rednewt74 Yummy. Mulberry jam sounds so tasty. I've yet to try that flavor of jam. Great idea. 💖

This recipe sounds so tasty and my first time hearing of Hoppin' John- such a fun name!