Lukas_'s post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Road Type Editing - A Pain

So after editing over 15 000 roads all around the world (and getting over half of them approved) there is one thing that really bugs me. 

And that is not being able to switch road types right from the editing menu. 

Which roads am I talking about? Let me show you:

An example of roads with wrong type. Hebbronville, Texas, USAAn example of roads with wrong type. Hebbronville, Texas, USA

Almost all of the roads in the picture above are marked with thick white lines - Local roads. But that isn't the case. Since I didn't know what to think of this before hand, I asked @JustJake what to do about this and how it all works. Half of the roads in the picture are NOT local roads but utility roads for trash collection or private access. This means that they have to be either switched to walking/biking trails because after all they are pass-through-able or removed entirely depending on the state and laws the state has. 

The editing process right now:

1. Select a road in question and remove it 

2. Wait till the road is actually gone

3. Place a new road with the desired type 

This process can take weeks and months to have a result and it's quite frustrating. 

Available options: 

Editing options that show up when a road is selected in the editing mode.Editing options that show up when a road is selected in the editing mode.

A box with "Road type" would definitely help make editing roads better. 

I haven't ran into this problem recently and after talking about it with @SholaIB I came to the conclusion that people just have better things to do and don't want to put this much time and effort into fixing something that can be interrupted by anyone in the world and as a result take even years to fix. 

From my perspective it would be in Google's interest to make it easier for all of us - volunteers.

After all, we have helped edit a huge amount of roads on the planet (I didn't forget about you Road Mapper users).

I'd like to tag the most active and valuable members of the TRAC campaign that can support this suggestion: @NareshDarji@MarcoDavoli@ErmesT@LovePathak28@HsRawal@TravellerG@Rakshi2@jayasimha78 and of course many more great contributors. 

"It's the not the Destination, It's the Journey." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads

8 comments
Level 10

Re: Road Type Editing - A Pain

Ciao @Lukas_ ,

after adding "only" 5000 roads circa I went to so many difficulties, especially in EDIT MODE, that I come to the idea that we, of the TRAC campaign, should start to write down all this ideas hoping that a GM can pass it to someone who can take care of it. @SholaIB what do you think?  For example, when a road passes under a bridge. In Google Maps, you can already find many roads accurately mapped (i.e., without intersections). However, those who add or edit the roads are not allowed to do so.

About the case you highlighted.... when I found some wrong type of roads I simply delete and recreate it with the correct road type. Your point 2 "Wait till the road is actually gone" is almost immediate. Maybe I misunderstand the procedure; but the Edit Information Options should be expanded.

Take care

Ciao

Marco

TRAC Badge
Level 10

Hello @MarcoDavoli 

Of course the problem of not being able to create roads that pass over each other is also big. The ability to create them like that should be available as a basic tool. 

What I meant by waiting for the road to disappear - I have looked up some of my approved edits from months ago and didn't see the roads on the map yet. I don't know how long it should take before I actually see the approved ones on the map, but it has to be a long time.

Thank you for your contribution on TRAC and here. 

Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads

Connect Moderator

Hello @Lukas_ 

This is part of the  achievements and ideas behind organising  TRAC campaign.  . Aside leveling up,improving the maps,we are also deducting facts that works around adding roads to  Google maps. Hopefully this will be a good training for the AI and Google roads team and engineers.

I.have come across POIs that lacks category for instance and I could then edit and add the category. I have also come across POIs that have a wrong category. Simple editing the wrong category for the right one is great. It's such a long process to think of deleting and re-adding all over again.

It will be a nice thing of we cam also edit roads like that as well. Thank you for your participation and contributions on TRAC campaign    This goes to @MarcoDavoli as well.

Happy mapping 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Connect Moderator

Ciao @MarcoDavoli 

Having to delete and re-create the road is a cord!!! It should be simpler than that really.

I also feel its a long process. The AI has to figure out or approve the delete first. Then verify of to approve the new road etc. 

I sincerely have avoided wrong roads. Drawing new roads is far easier and better maybe. Well we learn to live. We live and learn.

Happy mapping 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 10

@Lukas_ You may have found the theme for a new campaign! If we can add 50,000 roads, maybe we can clean up as many, too!

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

@JustJake that's right although I'll have to take some time off after this challenge is over 😄

Saying it here first - anyone can take Jake's idea and make it happen, I'd be glad to contribute (a little).

Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads

Connect Moderator

@JustJake @Lukas_ #LGCTR (Local Guides Clean The Roads) 🤣

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

We'll see about that next year @JanVanHaver, maybe someone will take on this huge task 😁

Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads