PennyChristie's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Sydney WorldPride March 2023

Local Guide Penny Christie and family posing for a photo on the Sydney Harbour Bridge during Sydney World Pride March 2023Local Guide Penny Christie and family posing for a photo on the Sydney Harbour Bridge during Sydney World Pride March 2023

🌈
Sydney has been buzzing with a rainbow of activity as the hosts of the WorldPride 2023 festival from 17 February to 5 March 2023. People from all over the world have come down under to party and celebrate global equality for the LGBTQIA+ community for the first time ever in the southern hemisphere. 

E435B6E6-E821-44AD-B8D8-1181E877B80A.jpeg

“WorldPride is a global event licensed by InterPride, which is awarded to a different host city every 2-3 years. The first WorldPride took place in Rome in July 2000, followed by Jerusalem (2006), London (2012), Toronto (2014), Madrid (2017), New York (2019) and Copenhagen + Malmo (2021).”

On Sunday 5 March, I got up at the crack of dawn to join over 50,000 people to march across the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge in a powerful international statement – we are here and we are united.

I wanted to be a part of history and walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge for the first time in my life. It was really cool to share this historic moment with my family.

I was so happy I couldn’t stop dancing, it was so much fun and everyone was in a great mood.

We walked 4 km all the way from North Sydney and ended with natural rainbow in Hyde Park. It was so cool.

I would love to know if any Local Guides traveled to Sydney specifically for the WorldPride festival 

Here is a short video I made about my day at the

Sydney World Pride March video by Penny Christie  

Sydney NSW, Australia
4 comments
Level 7

Re: Sydney WorldPride March 2023

Hey, @PennyChristie! I am glad you had an amazing experience. It was a fitting day filled with so much positivity and unity, and I was grateful to be a part of it too. The atmosphere was electric, with everyone in high spirits and eager to celebrate.

I had always dreamed of attending such an event, and the fact that it was being held in my own country made it even more special. My journey to the festival started months before it happened. I had to make sure that my friends and I had places to stay in Sydney while the festival was going on. Even though I was busy, I was determined to get it done.

As part of the festival, I went to a lot of events and activities. I went to panels and workshops about important issues facing the LGBTQIA+ community, and I met a lot of people. It was amazing to walk across the bridge with tens of thousands of people in support of equality and acceptance, just like you did. The crowd's excitement and energy were contagious, and it was a moment I will never forget. And I can't wait to go to more WorldPride events in different parts of the world.

image (3).jpgimage (4).jpg

image (2).jpg

image (1).jpg

Connect Moderator

Yay! @India  I’m so glad you experienced Sydney WorldPride in person. It was so much fun. Your photos are amazing 🥰

Level 10

Love this @PennyChristie. Love to see how you are raising awareness for the LGBTQIA+ community through the WorldPride March. The photos look so fun. 👩‍❤️‍👩

Connect Moderator