AdamGT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: T100 Star Photos L7 LGs (December 2021)

@AdamGT thank you so much for the seemingly obvious, but detailed step by step instructions on checking that our data was correct! I do try to make sure with every leaderboard, but going through the numbered list endured that I didn't miss anything! And I would like to add YOU DIDN'T MISS ANYTHING EITHER! Hooray for both of us! My data is accurate/correct and I'm still blown away by being on the Star Photo leaderboards at all! And in a funny twist, my Star Photo is of an Arby's restaurant storefront and over the weekend I took a similar photo of a different Arby's restaurant (well over 100 mil/170km from the first one) and in 2 days it's received nearly 7,600 views! Apparently there is a huge demand for photos of Arby's restaurants!

Connect Moderator

Let me start off by saying well done with your star photo @AmberCoeCEO and not only are you on the level 7 leaderboard, your star has also made it on the overall average views per day leaderboard, now that is something! I myself have learned a lot from this very detailed and objective analysis of our star photos and based on this I'm now searching for the killer star and from what you have said I might go searching for an Arby's 😉  I mean 7,600 views in just two days!  Crikey 😉

Yes it worried me to provide the seemingly obvious step by step instructions on checking the data!  I really do hate doing this but in the end thought it might help some to have a checklist..

Thanks also for letting me know that you've checked your data and that it's all correct and also that I didn't mess anything so indeed hooray for both of us 🙂 

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 8

Re: Top 100 Star Photo Leaderboards (December 2021)

Star photo by @Thomson200. Uploaded August 2015. Star views as of December 7, 2021Star photo by @Thomson200. Uploaded August 2015. Star views as of December 7, 2021

My photo of Peachtree Ridge High School. And yes, this the same photo on the Wikipedia page, because I also uploaded this photo onto the Wikimedia Commons. I think I might have originally uploaded this photo onto Panoramio back in 2015. This is the first time uploading a star photo, so hopefully I did this correctly.

Level 9

Re: T100 Star Photos L9 LGs (December 2021)

Thanks much @AdamGT 

I have checked and verified the data!

Phew, Many congratulations on this project Adam & what at incredible feat! that too all alone. Appreciate it.

Happy Holidays Everyone! 

Connect Moderator

Welcome to the Top 100 Star Photo leaderboards @Thomson200, and what an entrance you've made 😉  You will be added on the next update which at the latest will be in early February 2022. Yes I know that's seems like light years away however depending on how everyone goes with their data checking and I go with implementing a new and better participation system as mentioned my earlier comment, we could have an update well be before February.  Stay tuned for further advice on this.

In the meantime, I'm always looking for star photos to feature and as you've followed the extra optional steps with your entry I'd love it if you could make a couple of minor changes:

1. Try to increase the size of your screenshot, after all you do have a BIG star there 😉  See point 3 in section 6.1 and perhaps my tip in section 6.2.2 of the documentation.  You'll also see good examples of larger screenshots in the mentioned sections of the documentation. When it comes to screenshots taken on desktop, this one by @PennyChristie and this one by @AdrianLunsong are always great models to look at and when it comes to mobile screenshots this one by @OmerAli is hard to beat. Also see those featured already on this post.

2. Instead of adding the star views on your caption, add the date you took the screenshot (point 6 in section 6.1 of the documentation).

Now some may say sheesh @AdamGT is fussy, but I do have reasons for all this 😉

Former Google Contributor

Re: Clueless in NYC

Hey @ThatJimRyan,

I assume your post is related to the Top 100 Star Photo Leaderboards (December 2021) so I will merge it there.

Keep in mind that Idea Exchange is the section of Connect where Local Guides share their ideas toward making Google Maps or the Local Guides program even better. You can read more about it in How do I use the Idea Exchange?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

@AdamGT I think I've found the key to the elusive killer star photo! Go find yourself an Arby's asap! I can not believe that I've gotten over 11 thousand views in 3ish days! I think my current Arby's star photo is going to quickly be overtaken by my latest Arby's photo! This is bananas! 

Screenshot_20211207-151310_Maps.jpg

Level 6

@AmberCoeCEO That is indeed remarkable!  Good for you☺️  I just looked up that Arby’s and your picture is on their”landing page” for directions and info…well done.

"Start by going what is necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
Francis of Assisi
Level 8

I just uploaded a higher resolution screenshot for my star photo. I also updated my data entry form.

Connect Moderator

Thanks for the update @AmberCoeCEO. I can just see it now, everyone is out looking for Alby's. Just a small suggestion for you if I may. When you take a snap, take one in portrait and one in landscape 😉