Rohan10's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Vegetarian Awareness Month - My Visit to Mumbai's Authentic Veg. South Indian Restaurant.

October is known as Vegetarian Awareness Month, and it is the perfect opportunity for us to celebrate the benefits of following a plant-based diet. While scrolling through the connect posts, I stumbled upon @DeniGu's Post, where she shared 4 veg dishes recommended by local guides around the world. Additionally, @AnubhaBangia's Post and @TravellerG sir's Post, where they shared about the Veg dishes. Their post intrigued me, and I decided to pay a visit to this vegetarian haven myself. Located in Borivali, a bustling suburb of Mumbai, Banana Leaf is a gem of a restaurant that serves delectable authentic Veg. South Indian cuisine.

Photo # 1 Caption: GIF representation of Banana Leaf Special Thali that finished satisfactorily by my self (:P)

As soon as I entered the restaurant, I was struck by its warm and inviting ambience. The walls were adorned with beautiful articles of South Indian culture, setting the perfect mood for the meal.

Photo # 2 Caption: Decoration wall at Dining area.

Photo # 3 Caption: Seating arrangement.

Photo # 4 Caption: The recreation on wall of South Indian Hindu Temple.

But what caught my attention the most were the two Kathakali artist statues installed at the entry doing Namaste and welcoming the Guests. These statues added a unique touch to the ambience and gave the restaurant an authentic South Indian feel.

Photo # 5 Caption: Entrance of the Restaurant and the two Kathakali Artist Statue.

The highlight of my dining experience at Banana Leaf was the special thali that I ordered, which was a feast for both my taste buds and my eyes. The thali consisted of several dishes. Name of the items as per numberings are-

1. Payasam
  2. Cluster Beans
  3. Daal 
  4. Cowpea Curry
  5. Paneer 
  6. Coconut Curry
  7. Rassam Vada
  8. Raita
  9. Curd
  10. Kerala Paratha
  11. Papadum, Gooseberry Pickle and Masala Curd Chilli hidden under the Papadum.

Each dish was bursting with flavours, and the use of fresh ingredients was evident in every bite. The thali also included a refreshing buttermilk drink, which was the perfect accompaniment to the spicy dishes. The meal was served on the real Banana Leaf. The important feature of this Restaurant is they serve every food item on Banana Leaf.

Photo # 6 Caption: Photo of Banana Leaf Special Plate.

Photo # 6 Caption: Rice cooked in lentils, we call it Khichadi which is included in Thali. You can get normal steam rice too.

Apart from the thali, I also tried the Dakshin Biryani, which was a flavourful and aromatic rice dish, packed with vegetables and spices. It was a perfect amalgamation of South Indian and Mughlai cuisine and left me craving for more.

Photo # 7 Caption: Photo of Dakshin Biryani served on the Banana Leaf Plate with Papadum.

But the highlight of my meal was the cheese masala dosa. Unlike the traditional dosa, this one was served with a generous amount of melted cheese, adding a unique twist to the dish. It was a perfect combination of crispy and creamy, and it left me wanting for more.

Photo # 8 Caption: Photo of Cheese Dosa and the Cocount Chutney.

Leaving my review for the restaurant on Google maps, I was impressed not just by the food but also by the impeccable service and the friendly staff. The servers were knowledgeable about the dishes and made wonderful recommendations. They were also quick in refilling the dishes and ensuring that I had a comfortable dining experience.

Photo # 9 Caption: Store Front Photo of Banana Leaf Restaurant.

Banana Leaf has definitely become one of my top choices in Mumbai. The restaurant not only celebrates vegetarianism but also the rich and diverse South Indian cuisine. And in this month of Vegetarian Awareness, I highly recommend everyone to visit Banana Leaf and experience the mouth-watering dishes yourself.Trust me, your taste buds. They have branches all over Mumbai and India. Click here for the list of Banana Leaf Restaurants in Mumbai.

How to reach:

It is located just 10 mins drive from Borivali Station (West)

Nearest Attraction:

Global Vipassana Pagoda, Gorai, Borivali, Mumbai.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
45 comments
Level 8

Re: Vegetarian Awareness Month - My Visit to Mumbai's Authentic Veg. South Indian Restaurant.

@Rohan10 Bhai Thank you for sharing your culinary adventure and for highlighting this gem of a restaurant. 😋
Your detailed description of your dining experience at Banana Leaf is both delightful and informative. Your post truly captures the essence of celebrating Vegetarian Awareness Month by indulging in authentic South Indian cuisine.
The visual representation of the Banana Leaf Special Thali is mouthwatering 😍, and your thorough review of each dish is a culinary journey in itself.

It's wonderful to hear that the use of fresh ingredients and the presentation on real Banana Leaves enhanced the flavors of the meal.

Your passion for Banana Leaf shines through your post, and your encouragement for others to experience the mouthwatering dishes at this restaurant is sure to inspire fellow food enthusiasts.

✤ Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam 

Level 9

Re: Vegetarian Awareness Month - My Visit to Mumbai's Authentic Veg. South Indian Restaurant.

खूप मस्त रे @Rohan10 ! ही पण एक प्रचंड फेमस फूड चेन आहे मुंबईला. फार छान आहेत फोटो सगळे.  भूक लागली बघ एकदम! 😍

साधारण ह्याच नावाचे हॉटेल आहे "Bananaa leaf breakfast restaurant" बंगलोर हायवे वरती सातारा जवळ. तिथे पण मला छान व्हेज ब्रेकफास्ट मिळाली होती. माझा तिथला रिव्ह्यू पण आहे. 

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |
Connect Moderator

That's great news @Rohan10 about October being a Veg month instead of just one day.

I still have a few hours left to celebrate 😁

The Banana leaf restaurant seems to be a strongly South Indian style and the ambiance looks cool.

I really like the numbered items on the plate to identify them clearly 👍

Hope you had a greatly satisfying meal 😋

Level 8

Thank you so much @Nomad_vikram for your detailed response. I am glad you like the content of my post. South Indian cuisine is very attractive for me. And it is also so famous in Mumbai. Thanks again bro.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 8

खूप खूप धन्यवाद @ajitthite दादा. अगदी बरोबर मुंबई मध्ये बनाना लीफ ची मोठी चैन आहे. तुम्ही भेट दिलेल्या बनाना लीफ चा तुमचा रिव्हिव चांगला आहे उपयोगी आहे. बनाना लीफ मधले पदार्थ अगदी तोंडाला पाणी सुटण्यासारखे आहे. तुम्ही दिलेल्या प्रतिक्रियेबद्दल खूप आभार...

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 8

Thank you so much @Tushar_Suradkar for your kind words. Yes you still can celebrate. I would like to see your post on it. Yes you are very correct that the Banana Leaf is hardcore South Indian Style restaurant. We will meet if you come in Mumbai in near future. Yes I had very satisfying meal and enjoyed a lot. Thanks again buddy.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 10

Wow... Wow... my dear @Rohan10...

Excellent... Yummy...

'Banana Leaf' looks very promising and also interesting...

Each of the 11 items are extremely familiar, dear Rohan... Great! 

Kerala Paratha is something very difficult to get in original taste... in photo, it looks very authentic! 

Daksin Biriani & Cheese Dosa... More... Im sure you might have packed some items... Right? 

Enjoyed the post very much... Amazing shots too! Appreciate it. 

".. highlighting this gem of a restaurant..." 

Not only the restaurant, but also the delicacies there... dear @Nomad_vikram 

"... Banaa leaf breakfast restaurant " - ohh... That is really a new info "Breakfast Restaurants"... Dear Ajit Ji... @ajitthite... 

Hope to show you something on Friday... (reaching back only on Friday, 3rd November). 

Wish you all the best... Dear all... 

🙌❤️🤝

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

"... strongly South Indian style and the ambiance looks cool..."

I too acknowledgement this... dear @Tushar_Suradkar 

South Indian style... More towards Kerala (Kathakali & Nettippattom as the wall hangs)... 

The Photo #4 is of Tamil Nadu... right @Gurukrishnapriya?

And the photo #5 is of Karnataka (the Yakshagaanam artists - similar in some way to Kathakali of Kerala). 

What is your opinion, dear friends  @PrasadVR @Anil6969 @Designer_Biswajit @ShailendraOjha Thanks in advance for your feedback... 

Let us join our hands to appreciate... 

Most sincerely yours 

🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Your post itself is a feast for our eyes and taste buds @Rohan10  Amazing photography and we'll conceived post.  Thanks for sharing your beautiful experience with us and when reading the post I felt very very hungry.  Thanks @TravellerG for tagging me and I am eagerly waiting for more such posts. 

Passionate about
#Temple Art & Architecture
#Nature lover
#Save the Trees
#Typewriter Artist

. Happy Guiding.