adventureswithyoo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

What's in the future for Google Maps and Local Guides

Hi, just wondering what's on the road map for Google Maps, and if the Local Guides program is still being administered by Google?

It seems like social media influencers have been playing a bigger role, and people are searching on social media platforms (i.e. IG reels) to find recommendations when trip planning.

Meanwhile, it feels like Google Maps has become diluted, and whether you are a new contributor or level 10, your ratings are a drop in the bucket.

I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on this, and maybe from an official channel as well.

For context, most of my travel is within North America, and primary travel is Europe + Asia (Korea/Japan).

1 comment
Level 10

Re: What's in the future for Google Maps and Local Guides

I haven't seen any signs of Google discontinuing Local Guides, @adventureswithyoo. It's still a valuable source of user-generated content that helps keep Google Maps comprehensive and up-to-date. YouTubers and Instagrammers often cater to a specific niche. Google Maps offers a broader, more diverse range of recommendations across various locations and categories. We can also view essential details like addresses, hours of operation and more.

And, individual contributions might not feel as impactful, but every review and rating adds a valuable data point that helps Google Maps refine its algorithms and provide better recommendations for everyone. Even a single, well-written review can significantly impact someone's decision.