jayasimha78's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Yoho National Park

We recently visited Banff, Jasper and Yoho National Park in Alberta and British Colombia, Canada. We started our journey from San Francisco. We flew in to Calgary. We stayed in Canmore, which is 30 mins drive from Banff downtown.  This was our day 4 of our trip, we visited Yoho National Park, which is in British Columbia, which is around one and half hour drive from Canmore

Check out for Day 1, 2 & 3 Part I & Part II Details here:

Day 1: Banff National Park: Day 1: Banff

Day 2: Banff National Park Day 2: Gondola, Lake Louise and Lake Moraine

Day 3: Banff National Park Day 3: Ice Fields Parkway Part I

Banff National Park Day 3: Ice Fields Parkway Part II

Day 4: Yoho National Park

Our first stop was at Spiral Tunnel View Point. In fact this is Upper Spiral View Point. These tunnels were constructed in the early 20th century by the Canadian Pacific Railway to conquer the steep grades of the Kicking Horse Pass, making train travel safer and more efficient.  They are situated near the town of Field, British Columbia, and are easily accessible from the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway 1).

Below is a picture of Upper Spiral View point. There is enough parking here including accessible parking and also restrooms, We waited here for about 30 mins hoping the train pass through these spiral tunnels. However we were out of luck, since we had to cover other places in Yoho National Park, we continued our journey. 

Picture below, if you carefully observe, will be able to see the tunnel.

Here is a shot of sign located in Upper Spiral View Point.

After Spiral Tunnel View point, we visited Town of Field, we were able to see the train stopped at town of Field. Town itself is small had few shops and restaurant.

Our next stop was Natural Bridge Falls in Yoho National Park. This is a beautiful and unique natural attraction. This stunning formation is a testament to the power of water and the geological forces that have shaped the Canadian Rockies. Below is a shot of the falls and beautiful sorroundings.

Picture below shows why it is called Natural Bridge Falls.You can see the rock formation, which looks like a bridge. This natural wonder is a result of the Kicking Horse River carving its way through solid rock.

There is a large parking lot near the falls, also a short trail to view the falls and the Natural bridge from various points. Here is a shot showing the center of the Natural Bridge.

Our next stop was Emerald Lake. Lake was very busy, in fact we had to park almost half a mile away from the lake and walk to the lake. Emerald Lake is a breathtaking and iconic natural wonder. This stunning alpine lake is celebrated for its vivid emerald-green waters, surrounded by towering mountain peaks, lush forests, and an abundance of natural beauty

The most distinctive feature of Emerald Lake is its mesmerizing emerald-green color. The lake's hue is a result of sunlight reflecting off fine particles of glacial silt suspended in the water. It creates a vibrant and almost otherworldly appearance that changes in intensity with the angle of the sun. There is a visitor center with information and facilities, including restrooms and picnic areas. There is also a small cafe which is shown in the picture below.

Canoeing or kayaking on Emerald Lake is a favorite activity. Rentals are available for visitors who want to explore the lake from the water. Even private canoes are allowed. Several visitors brought their own canoes. We rented Canoe for an hour and spent an hour on the lake, exploring the beauty of the sorroundings.

The emerald waters and breathtaking mountain scenery make Emerald Lake a paradise for photographers (like me!). The changing light throughout the day provides ample opportunities for capturing stunning shots.

Emerald Lake is a true natural gem, offering a tranquil and awe-inspiring experience for all who visit. Its emerald waters and breathtaking mountain backdrop create a sense of wonder and make it a destination that's both visually and spiritually captivating.

Here is a shot of small beach area where visitors were enjoying swimming and launching their personal canoes in to the lake.

A shot of the bridge to the visitor center and cafe.

Our next stop was Takakkaw Falls. This is a majestic waterfall and a remarkable natural wonder is known for its sheer drop, impressive height, and the thundering sound of its cascading waters. akakkaw Falls is one of Canada's tallest waterfalls, with a drop of approximately 254 meters (833 feet). It's an awe-inspiring sight, and the sheer height of the falls commands the attention of all who visit.

The waterfall is fed by the meltwater from Daly Glacier, part of the Waputik Icefield. The water flows through a series of mountain streams before plummeting over the edge to form Takakkaw Falls.

The name "Takakkaw" not only refers to the falls' beauty but also to the thunderous sound it generates as water crashes onto the rocks below. The roar of the falls is audible from a considerable distance, adding to the dramatic experience of visiting.

Here is a shot of the river near lower spiral view point, we stopped here on the way back from Takakkaw falls

Here is a shot of Rail road near town of Field on the way to Emerald Lake.

Let me end the post with a picture of wife Canoeing in Emerald Lake! You can also see my daughters' in another Canoe ahead of us.

Field, BC, Canada
20 comments
Level 9

Re: Yoho National Park

@jayasimha78 What an incredible experience! I was enchanted by this place. Congratulations on the experience and trip

Karen Alves Gaspar
Brazilian living in Canada
Local Guide Level 9
Instagram: @firstkalves
Level 10
Level 6

Wow 👌! All places are looking so beautiful 😍. I am inspired by your travel story ,this place where you are traveled looking so cooland beautiful. 

Level 8

😄fabulous photography, every picture is lively, but I like the picture is number eight, ultimate photo shoots, this picture looks very natural. 👀 Dear Guiding Star @jayasimha78  A very Happy  festival wishes to you & your family

shailendraOjha

▶️
https://youtube.com/@googleguide_shailen13
Level 9

@jayasimha78 What an incredible adventure exploring Yoho National Park in Alberta and British Columbia! Your detailed account and stunning photos truly capture the beauty of this region. From the impressive Spiral Tunnel View Point to the emerald-green wonder of Emerald Lake, and the breathtaking Takakkaw Falls, your journey is an inspiration for fellow travelers. The description of each location and the history behind them makes this post not only visually appealing but also informative. 😍😍

Mohamed Ahmed (Mo-TravelleerX)
Chinese Name (Wang Li 王李)
Follow me: Facebook - Instagram - Twitter - YouTube

My Greatest Articles:
My 2 Years of Experience as a Google Local Guide

My 3 Years Journey as a Google Local Guide in Egypt and China
Level 9

@jayasimha78 The older I get the more I admire the nature, at the same time I appreciate time when I can relax far from modern life. 

Thank you for sharing, amzing photos, as always. 🙂

Level 10
Level 10

Level 10