MoniDi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

5 dishes I tried in Poland

Last autumn, I was invited to a wedding in Poland. It didn't take me long to book the plane tickets and plan a new adventure. I flew to Warsaw and spent a couple of days there. The capital of Poland struck me as one of the liveliest cities in Europe and I enjoyed every corner of it. The architecture was a mix of modern skyscrapers and old buildings.

As a traveller, I always try my best to experience something new. One way to get acquainted with different cultures is to try the local delicacies. The food in Poland was tasty and diverse. There were so many restaurants with international cuisine that I couldn’t miss visiting some of them, too. Here are five international and traditional dishes I tried and where to find them.

Caption: A photo of a hand holding a crispy rice flour crepe filled with shrimp and sprouts. There’s a small bowl of fish sauce on the side. (Local Guide Piotr Górecki)Caption: A photo of a hand holding a crispy rice flour crepe filled with shrimp and sprouts. There’s a small bowl of fish sauce on the side. (Local Guide Piotr Górecki)

1. Bánh Xèo (Crispy Vietnamese crepe)

Surprisingly, the first place my friends and I went to in Warsaw was a Vietnamese restaurant called Vietnamka. Fun fact: “Vietnamka” means “a Vietnamese woman” in Bulgarian, my mother tongue. 

I’d never tried Vietnamese food before, so I literally ordered the first thing on the menu, Bánh Xèo. It turned out to be a rice flour and turmeric pancake, filled with shrimp, bacon, green onion, and sprouts. It came with fresh herbs and fish dipping sauce. It was crispy as it was served right from the frying pan.

Caption: A photo of two plates, one with two vodka shots and the other with beef tartare with raw egg yolk, bread, and garnish. (Local Guide Paul Kozak)Caption: A photo of two plates, one with two vodka shots and the other with beef tartare with raw egg yolk, bread, and garnish. (Local Guide Paul Kozak)

2. Befsztyk tatarski (Beef tartare)

After a long day of sightseeing, we decided to go out for a drink. We started with some cocktails at Veles Bar, a great place if you want to feel like you’re starring in The Great Gatsby movie. 

After that, we visited the Meta bar. I  was impressed by the interior there. Everything was vintage, from the chairs to the wall art. We were advised to try their specialty, Polish steak tartare or Befsztyk Tatarski with vodka shots. This was raw minced beef with raw egg yolk on top, garnished with chopped onions, pickles, peppers, and other seasonings. We had to mix all the ingredients and eat it on toast. I liked the raw taste even though I prefer well-done steak.

Caption: A photo of pink beetroot soup, garnished with boiled egg, chives, and dill. (Local Guide Joanna A)Caption: A photo of pink beetroot soup, garnished with boiled egg, chives, and dill. (Local Guide Joanna A)

3. Chlodnik (Cold beetroot soup)

A few days later, we headed to Olsztyn where the wedding was held. We had a lot of fun! 

The next day, we went to Przystań Restaurant. I tried the most refreshing cold beetroot soup there, called chlodnik. I was impressed by its vivid pink color. The soup was made with beetroot, cucumber, radishes, green onion, and yogurt, and served with quartered boiled egg and chopped dill on top. Very delicious!

Caption: A photo of seven sauteed duck dumplings with cranberry sauce, red wine, and olive oil on a white plate. (Local Guide oldheckmann)Caption: A photo of seven sauteed duck dumplings with cranberry sauce, red wine, and olive oil on a white plate. (Local Guide oldheckmann)

4. Pierogi (Polish dumplings)

In Olsztyn, we also found the Casablanca restaurant, which had a perfect view of Podzamcze Park. The atmosphere was classy and modern. 

There I tried pierogi for the first time. These Polish dumplings were filled with duck and sauteed. They came with wine and cranberry sauce. It was a very satisfying meal, simple yet flavorful.

Caption: A photo of a bowl of salad with avocado, mixed greens, poached egg, crispy wheat bread, and vinaigrette.Caption: A photo of a bowl of salad with avocado, mixed greens, poached egg, crispy wheat bread, and vinaigrette.

5. Mediterranean “Skinny Jeans” salad

We returned to Warsaw and, before we set off to the airport, we decided to grab a quick bite. We chose to go to AïOLI restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious! 

One salad amazed me with its name, “Skinny Jeans,” so I ordered it. It was a combination of mixed greens with black quinoa, avocado, carrots, marinated red cabbage, green beans, and pumpkin seeds. It was served with wheat flour bread, poached egg, and a bowl of vinaigrette on the side. It was the perfect way to end my trip.

Have you ever tried any Polish dishes? Share with us in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

67 comments
Level 8

Re: 5 dishes I tried in Poland

Awesome article and beautiful pictures! Yes Poland food is very delicious.  Last summer I visited Krakow and loved there. Especially my favorite was pierogi with good beer of course! 🙂

Level 9

Though I know several Polish people but I have never been to Poland. This post gives me a nice Idea about the foods found in the Polish capital Warsaw. Both the Photos and descriptions are amazing. I hope we will get another post from you soon about the places you visited during your stay in Poland. Thanks for sharing this post @MoniDi 

Google Moderator

Hi @MikkoTyllinen ,

Thanks for stopping by! I could have visited Krakow as well but it was too far away so I decided not to. Now I have a reason to return to Poland and see more of its beauty. And when it comes to beer - I don't like it, but I definitely enjoyed the vodka shots. 🙂

By the way, don't forget to write @ before the Local Guides' names who you would like to mention so that they receive a notification.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hi @MukulR ,

You should definitely make plans and visit your Polish friends. Warsaw is impressive! I could say that it combines western and eastern cultures perfectly.

I will do my best and follow your advice on writing a post about the places I visited during my stay there. Thanks for encouraging me! 

Former Google Contributor

Hello @MoniDi,

Thank you for all these delicious meals, now I know what to eat if I decide to go and visit an old friend of mine in Poznan

Two dishes grabbed by attention, the pink soup and the Skinny Jeans salad, mostly because of its funny name. As I'm not really acquainted with Polish cuisine, which meal would you recommend to a newcomer to start with? 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hey @BorrisS ,

Thank you for your interest in my post and the Polish cuisine. To answer your question, you should definitely start with the Polish dumplings as they are a staple in the Poland. However, the chlodnik, or the pink soup as you called it, is definitely my favourite! It is similar to tarator (Bulgarian cold cucumber soup), but more dense and prettier. 🙂

At the wedding I tried more traditional food like Żurek (a fermented rye soup) which is perfect after a long night of partying. Another interesting dish that I enjoyed eating was the goulash even though you could try it in many European countries. And last but not least, I must include the Kiełbasa which is Polish meat sausage.

I hope that you visit your friend soon and share your experience with us! 

Level 8

Hi @MoniDi 

Haha yes vodka shots is also nice! Although I like more gorilka.. 

So that why everyone write first the name, nice to know! Thank you for tip! 

Level 9

delicious foods, especially i like Chlodnik(Cold beetroot soup) @MoniDi

In Bangladesh you can try Grilled Chicken and Naan Roti, it's one of my favorite menu.

Grilled Chicken and Naan Roti with some fresh salad and Sauce, BangladeshGrilled Chicken and Naan Roti with some fresh salad and Sauce, Bangladesh

Google Moderator

Hey @MikkoTyllinen ,

Thanks for the advice! I haven't heard of the Ukrainian beverage. If I happen to visit the country, I will definitely try it out. By the way, did you have the chance to try Żubrówka? I was very impressed by the taste.