MoniDi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

5 must-see places in Barcelona

Caption: A photo of the Magic Fountain of Montjuic in Barcelona, Spain, lit up in a turquoise colour and surrounded by a lot of people, with the National Museum of Art in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the Magic Fountain of Montjuic in Barcelona, Spain, lit up in a turquoise colour and surrounded by a lot of people, with the National Museum of Art in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

I’m somebody who can visit the same place many times and never get bored of it. I’ve been to Barcelona twice and I’m about to go again for the third time. It can offer you so much—from various architectural wonders to beautiful beaches and tasty cuisine—that you’ll never have the same experience twice. If you’re planning to visit this Spanish city, here is what you should add to your list.

1. The Magic Fountain of Montjuic

Caption: A photo of the Magic Fountain of Montjuic lit up in bright pink at dusk. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the Magic Fountain of Montjuic lit up in bright pink at dusk. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Situated very close to Plaza Espanya Square—one of the main connection points for public transport in the city—the Magic Fountain is one of the first things you see when you enter Barcelona from the direction of the airport. It’s located in front of the magnificent building of the National Museum of Art.

Make sure to go there in the evening when you’ll be able to enjoy a spectacular display of lights, music, colour, and perfectly choreographed fountain dances. Millions of tourists every year come to Barcelona to witness this magical performance.

The show usually takes place from Thursday to Saturday around 9 p.m., but it’s closed in January and February due to winter weather conditions, so be sure to check the working days and hours prior to your visit to the Magic Fountain on the official website.

2. Sagrada Familia

Caption: A photo of the facade of the Sagrada Familia Cathedral with its several steeples and cranes towering over them in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the facade of the Sagrada Familia Cathedral with its several steeples and cranes towering over them in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Once in Barcelona, you might hear the name of the famous Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi a lot. Almost all of his most impressive and unique modernist works can be found scattered around the city. His main architectural feat is the Sagrada Familia Cathedral which is considered the symbol of Barcelona and one of the city’s most iconic buildings. It’s recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The construction of the Sagrada Familia is still ongoing. It started in the late 19th century and is expected to finish in 2026, when it’ll mark the 100th Anniversary of Gaudi’s death. Sagrada Familia has a truly impressive facade, but the amazing multicoloured light that comes through the stained glass windows inside is what makes this church one of tourists’ favourite attractions. I can’t wait to visit Sagrada Familia again when it’s completely finished!

3. Park Guell

Caption: A photo of the main gate of Park Guell, with Casa del Guarda on the left and the official souvenir shop on the right. Part of Barcelona and the Balearic Sea can be seen in the distance. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the main gate of Park Guell, with Casa del Guarda on the left and the official souvenir shop on the right. Part of Barcelona and the Balearic Sea can be seen in the distance. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Another one of Gaudi’s signature projects is Park Guell. This is one of his masterpieces and you should definitely include it in your list of places to visit in Barcelona. Situated on the outskirts of the city, Park Guell is the perfect spot to take a long walk and bask in the sun while enjoying  a panoramic view of Barcelona!

There are five main attractions in the park, each with a special name. The “Laundry Room Portico” designed to mimic an ocean wave, the “Hypostyle Room” with its 86 columns that support the roof, and the “Austria Gardens” with its terraced greenery and Gaudi House Museum are definitely must-sees! However, my ultimate favourite is the “Serpentine Bench” which is made of colourful mosaic tiles and glistens so beautifully on top of the Hypostyle Room. From there you can see the gingerbread-like house Casa del Guarda as an excellent view of the whole city of Barcelona, right up to the beach and the Balearic Sea. Last but not least, you can’t miss “El Drac”, the mosaic salamander statue opposite the main park gate which is another symbol of the city. Keep in mind that you can take a photo next to the statue, but touching it is not allowed!

4. Ciutadella Park

Caption: A photo of the Cascada Monumental Fountain and greenish lake in front of it, with several lush green trees around it. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the Cascada Monumental Fountain and greenish lake in front of it, with several lush green trees around it. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

The perfect place to relax and even have a picnic after walking around the busy streets of Barcelona is Ciutadella Park—one of the greenest spots in the city. You can try a variety of activities, from going to the Barcelona Zoo to visiting the Catalan Parliament Palace, to renting a boat and sailing on the lake. The Triumphal Arch of Barcelona is also close by as well as the Barceloneta Beach

My personal highlight was enjoying an iced coffee under the palm trees while gazing at the magnificent Cascada Monumental fountain and some cute parrots flying around.

5. Mount Tibidabo

Caption: A photo of the amusement park and Catholic church at the top of Mount Tibidabo, Barcelona. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the amusement park and Catholic church at the top of Mount Tibidabo, Barcelona. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Getting to Mount Tibidabo might be quite an adventure but it’s definitely worth it! This is the highest point of Barcelona, so I used the subway and a funicular to get to the top, but once there, I was amazed by the breathtaking view. 

There is a small amusement park at the top which is perfect for a weekend family getaway. You also can’t miss the enormous Catholic church perched on a terrace above the amusement park and towering over the whole city as if protecting it. For only a couple of euros, you can take the elevator to the top of the church and enjoy an unobstructed view of all of Barcelona. I went there during the day so I can only imagine what a fascinating sight the sunset and the numerous city lights would be!

Have you ever been to Barcelona? What did you like the most? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Barcelona, Spain
30 comments
Level 8

Re: 5 must-see places in Barcelona

Local Guide @Marichams at the Camp Now, Barcelona, on the second day of the U2 360 tour, watching Snow Patrol open the show.Local Guide @Marichams at the Camp Now, Barcelona, on the second day of the U2 360 tour, watching Snow Patrol open the show.Hi @MoniDi! I have indeed been to Barcelona, 3 times if I don't bad recall. The first one was in winter 1999-2000, the second in summer 2008 and the last one just one year ago, in summer 2018. Just like you said on your first sentence, is a city that you always see with a new perspective, regardless of having been on the same places before.

From each time I have fantastic memories, like getting lost trying to get there, in the era of physical maps, like going there just to be in a U2 concert and the last one, of visiting a dear friend and seeing her the last time, before she passed away.

In this last photo you have her, who even feeling sick from her treatments against cancer, did a great effort to be by my side in Parc Guell, in the photo you see her and her mom. I cropped her son from the original photo, since I know Google does not like to have kids photos here.

Local Guide @MarichaMS at Parc Guell with her beloved friend Ana Laura and her Mom Isabel.Local Guide @MarichaMS at Parc Guell with her beloved friend Ana Laura and her Mom Isabel.

Hi there! I'm Maricha MS, an experience collector from the Dominican Republic who loves sharing cultural and travel related topics. Wanna see what caught my attention while discovering different places of the world? Check out my contributions here on Connect.
Google Moderator

Hello @Marichams ,

Thank you for reading my post and sharing your story. I love places where you can do different things every time you visit them. Another example of such city is London. Always something new to see. 

By the way, which is your favourite place in Barcelona?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Former Google Contributor

Hello @MoniDi,

Thank you for sharing your trip to Barcelona with us, amazing photos! 

Just like you, I have been to Barcelona twice and can't get enough of it. So beautiful, colourful, diverse and full of life! 

Did you enter the Sagrada Familia or you saw it just from the outside? 

One of my favorite places in Barcelona is El Barrio Gotico, have you been there? 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hey @BorrisS ,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately I've seen Sagrada Familia only from the outside. I could go and visit it for the third time in 2026 when it's supposed to be finished and I can see its glory from the inside as well. 

As for the Gothic quarter - that is one of my favourite parts of Barcelona. The architecture is amazing and I really feel like I have travelled through time and jumped back to the 13th century. The best memory from there is when I got lost and while I was walking around the narrow streets somehow I found Basilica de Santa Maria del Pi. Of course, I had to click a quick photo of it because its facade is unique.

Caption: A photo of the facade of the Basilica de Santa Maria, Barcelona (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the facade of the Basilica de Santa Maria, Barcelona (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Level 9

Hola @MoniDi,

Thanks for sharing this amazing article with us! Barcelona is such a beautiful city and this post brings back all the good memories I have there. And among all spots, what impressed the most is Sagrada Familia. It's just too majestic to be true. The light shines in through the glass windows makes the cathedral look so unreal.

A foodie, traveler, and street art amateur.
City Graffiti & Street Art.
Connect Moderator

Thank you @MoniDi for sharing your wonderful experience and beautiful pictures! I love it!

Barcelona is still in my bucket list on the first place. I love this amazing city and hope to visit it one day!!!

Now I know what places I should visit for sure!

Cheers,

jane

Google Moderator

Hey @JaneBurunina ,

Thanks for stopping by and reading my post. Barcelona is a must-visit city for sure. You can relax, you can have fun, you can go to the beach, you can explore every small street in the city and yet there are still things which can surprise you there. Make sure to plan a trip and experience the city vibes, you won't regret it.

@ChanneLing , thanks for replying and adding photos. Hopefully, next time I am in Barcelona, I will get the chance to enter the Sagrada Familia and see its magnificent beauty. Have you been to Poble Espanyol? I think you will like it there. 

Level 10

hi @MoniDi 

Thanks a lot sharing us about really 5 nice places in Barcelona.. Hope i will will visit once!!

MD MAHBUB HYDER
Level 9

looks really nice places to visit in Barcelona @MoniDi