Globe_trotter_Ish's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Accessible Health Center - King's College hospital London

As part of One Accessibility advocacy, we share information about disability issues, inclusion, and or accessibility features on Maps. Look out every week for this enlightening post.

Hello everyone and welcome to this week’s Accessibility Uncovered post!

As you might already know, our articles this month are about Accessible Health Centers near us. Majority of the healthcare centers in London and specially the pediatric hospitals are fully wheelchair/ stroller accessible with accessible baby changing stations. During my recent visit to the pediatric department of the  King's College Hospital , London , I was amazed to see that not only they are equipped with the most comforting facilities for the treatment of children they also have things to keep them happy and occupied during their visit/stay at the hospital including like they have a variety of toys to play with , their favorite kid meals , beautiful art , kid-friendly doodles , cartoon images , etc. painted across the hospital for kids to feel at ease and make them feel comfortable. Although I was amazed how many amazing accessibility features this hospital has ; One of the amazing accessibility features I saw during my recent pediatric visit for my kid was the ‘Sensory rooms’ one. 

Caption : A collage of photos of the King college hospital, London. Map photo credit : King's College London.Caption : A collage of photos of the King college hospital, London. Map photo credit : King's College London.

A sensory room is a special room designed to develop a person's sense, usually through special lighting, music, and objects. It can be used as a therapy for children with autism or those having limited communication skills or also for people to become calm if they are anxious about visiting the hospital. A "Sensory Room" is an umbrella term used to categorize a broad variety of therapeutic spaces specifically designed and utilized to promote self-organization and positive change. I asked one of the nurses there what the room exactly was for and she said  sensory rooms:

• Help to create a safe space , reduce anxiety and feel calmer
  • Facilitate the therapeutic alliance
  • Provide opportunities for engagement in prevention and crisis de-escalation strategies, as well as a host of other therapeutic exchanges (to teach skills, offer a variety of therapeutic activities, etc.) and make a child feel safer with the surroundings.

I still remember when my kid was crying for a long time and not stopping even after giving toys or other calming techniques , she took us to the sensory room, dimmed the lights and turned on the calming lights and music and my kid stopped crying ! It was amazing to see how much they cared for children and their carers and/or parents.  There was also a visual sign chart near the reception so that in case if any non-verbal kids come to visit the hospital it would be easier for them to understand what to expect when they visit the hospital (as seen in the photo collage above) so that they understand the process well in advance and feel less anxious. I was amazed how much a hospital thinks about not only physical health but also about the mental health , peace of not only the patients but also their carers as they would feel relaxed if their child is well cared for! 

When talking to the nurse, she also told us about a 'Sensory ward' that the hospital has a specially built for the Dementia patients. The ward has mood lighting to help patients relax and reduce agitation, as well as non-slip wood effect flooring. It also has new signage to make it easier for patients to find their way around the ward, as well as artwork showing a full London skyline to help trigger memory. There are also memory boxes along the ward corridor to help spark conversation among patients and their carers.

Even their website is designed to be accessible-friendly. You can read about the accessible features of their website here. Along with all the accessible features , there are some useful pointers on temporary accommodation(you can get the information at the reception) in case you need to stay near King’s for outpatient treatment or to be close to a relative or friend being cared for by them. Along with Wi-Fi, TV and entertainment available to all patients and visitors ; in case you need some cash while you are here, they even have a number of ATMs across the campus, and you even can grab a snack or other refreshment at one of their host of cafes and food outlets. In case you wish to know more about the services and facilities they provide , do check their  website.

Thank you for reading! Do you know any similar health centers in your area, or any that you know people with disabilities recommend? Let everyone know about them in the comments!

If you have a question, suggestion, or contribution, feel free to comment below. You can read last week's roundup article here and check the list of our other articles under "Accessibility Uncovered".

Thanks ! In case you wish to reach out, kindly send a private message on Connect. Feel free to tag on interesting posts by adding  '@' before my Connect profile id : globe_trotter_ish and I will respond as soon as I can !

Connect Moderator |  Guiding Star 2020 |  Guiding Star 2022Meet-up ChampionAccessibility Champion

Read Accessibility awareness posts here  | Accessible life - Google Earth projectInclusion and diversity series  | #GoGreenWithMaps series

My Instagram profile 

London, UK