MoniDi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Bucket list-worthy places on the Amalfi Coast

Caption: A photo of many colorful houses on a steep hillside, surrounded by lush green trees. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of many colorful houses on a steep hillside, surrounded by lush green trees. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

What is the first place that comes to mind when you think about your dream destination? Amalfi Coast in Italy used to pop up in my daydreams the most, so I was thrilled when I got a chance to go there last year. I have already shared with you some of the traditional desserts I tried there. Now, let me tell you a bit about the places I visited, too. They truly deserve a spot on anyone’s travel bucket list. 

Amalfi

Caption: A photo from a boat of Amalfi, nestled between the mountains, with a yacht floating on the water in its bay. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo from a boat of Amalfi, nestled between the mountains, with a yacht floating on the water in its bay. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

My accommodation was in Salerno, a quaint Italian city with a port where I could get tickets for the boat that goes to the towns along the coast. That was the fastest way to reach them. Taking the train or going by car would have taken more than an hour and a half as opposed to only half an hour by boat. 

On the first day, I decided to check out Amalfi. Up to that point, I didn’t know what to expect, but I was awestruck after the first glance. Never had I seen such an adorable town! You can instantly notice the tallest building when coming in from the sea, the Amalfi Cathedral. Once I got off the boat, I was eager to stride the steep winding streets. After a while, I sat at the Gran Caffè, where I tried the traditional limoncello liquor for the first time. The restaurant had a delightful view over the picturesque coastline.

Ravello

Caption: A photo from Villa Rufolo in Ravello of the sea and the Amalfi coastline, with a two-domed stone building and a tall tree in the foreground. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo from Villa Rufolo in Ravello of the sea and the Amalfi coastline, with a two-domed stone building and a tall tree in the foreground. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

After a quick stroll around Amalfi, I returned to its port and got on a small bus, which took me to another town up in the mountain, Ravello. The road was so narrow that it felt like the bus would fall out of it or crash headlong into the cars coming from the opposite direction.

Once I got to Ravello, the view of the coast was breathtaking. I visited Villa Rufolo, a place high in the mountains with lavish fragrant gardens and a gorgeous panorama of the sea. After grabbing a bite at Bar il Panino, it was time to go back to Amalfi’s port and catch the boat back to Salerno.

Positano

Caption: A photo of the colorful, terraced houses close to the beach in Positano and the rocky hills above them. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the colorful, terraced houses close to the beach in Positano and the rocky hills above them. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

The next day, I took the boat again and went to Positano. That is definitely my favorite town on the coast. Its colorful houses start from the beach and finish high up the rocky hill, making it a unique sight. The signature building of the area is the MAR Positano Villa Romana museum with its grand exterior and mosaic dome. 

I spent the whole day going around the streets and exploring the souvenir shops. I even went on a hike under the hot sun to visit Villa TreVille from where I could see the whole town. Unfortunately, it was closed due to a private event that day.

Capri Island

Caption: A photo of a towering rock formation in the sea and several boats roaming around it. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a towering rock formation in the sea and several boats roaming around it. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Capri was the reason I wanted to visit the Amalfi Coast in the first place. The incredible nature of the island, along with the rocky cliffs and the luxurious villas, make this place look like paradise. I went on a short hike around the island, along which I could marvel at the iconic Faraglioni di Mezzo rock formations. At one point, I reached Arco Naturale, an ancient rock formation in the shape of an arch. 

Capri offers different attractive activities, like visiting the Grotta Azzurra and Grotta Verde caves or climbing the Phoenician Steps, but I didn’t have enough time for all of them. Now I have a reason to return to this magnificent island one day!

Have you ever visited a dream destination of yours? Share in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Amalfi, SA, Italy
5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Bucket list-worthy places on the Amalfi Coast

Kudos for this post, @MoniDi😍 You made me dream about my next destination! The views that open on the Amalfi coast are truly breathtaking and each one of the places you mentioned is worth the go! 🌍

Honestly speaking I really would like to follow your steps and try to redo your trip. I find the tips very useful on how to save time, what to see and experience.

Was it hard to reach Villa Rufolo? It looks quite high in the mountain.

One of the photos you shared reminded me a bit to my trip to Mount Athos and the mountainous view captured from a boat.

Caption: A photo with a mountainous view and a monastery taken from a boat. (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A photo with a mountainous view and a monastery taken from a boat. (Local Guide @TsekoV)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hey @TsekoV ,

Thanks for checking my post. You photo is beautiful and it's nice that you shared it here because I haven't been there yet and I am collecting ideas.

That said, you can take a small tourist bus from the port in Amalfi which can drive you through the narrow mountain roads. Once off the bus, you just need to walk a few minutes and you will reach the villa. It's definitely worth seeing!

Connect Moderator

Wow @MoniDi, what a beautiful post to highlight those very beautiful places ?.

You know that I'm originally from there, I've born in Sorrento and still have my parents living in Castellammare di Stabia which is the opposite side of the Amalfi Coast compared to Salerno, btw I did here my University studies so I know this side too quite well ?. I suppose being in Salerno you passed also by Vietri sul Mare? The first city starting the mountain coast drive when entering the Amalfi Coast ?.

Amalfi Coast is so beautiful, all the small cities you can find along it (both up to the hills or down to the sea) are special for their own specialties, and I love Positano and Capri as well, good choice!

A quick photo I could find is this view of the sea above Amalfi took from Agerola, don't know if you passed by it but it is very close to Ravello. Here my sister lives actually and you can find a very natural, beautiful and famous hiking path, the so called Sentiero degli Dei.

View of the Amalfi coast sea, above Amalfi, took from a high point in the city of Agerola - Local guide @LuigiZView of the Amalfi coast sea, above Amalfi, took from a high point in the city of Agerola - Local guide @LuigiZ

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Google Moderator

Hey @LuigiZ ,

Thanks for reading my post. I know that you live there and I passed all the lovely cities you mentioned but I guess I didn't have enough days to visit them all. This part of Italy is currently my favourite so I really do hope that I will be able to see it one more time. 🙂

Thanks for sharing your photo. The view is breathtaking!

Level 9

Bellisimo!

Postcards from Italy!!
@MoniDi 

★  Guiding Stars 2021   ★  My Footprints   ★  Instagram