ogewuru's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

RECAP ABUJA CHOCOLATE TOUR & TASTE MEET UP

picture of Ugo, Oge, Zino, Uzo (CEO), Bode  and Ada  at Abuja Chocolate Meet uppicture of Ugo, Oge, Zino, Uzo (CEO), Bode and Ada at Abuja Chocolate Meet up

The meeting was billed to start at 9 am but after my arrival by 8:54 am as the host I had to wait 9 minutes for Ada to arrive, subsequently, Ugo came followed by Zino and lastly, Bode, making it 5 local guides (Ogechi, Ada, Ugo, Zino and Bode)

We had the privilege of having the company’s CEO Uzo take us on the tour and taste meet up but that was after she treated us to coffee breakfast. She took us to the Cloakroom where we changed to Loom Craft aprons with matching white caps and white croc footwear. Ready to go, the first port of call was the store where the semi-processed raw materials like cocoa powder are stored. Then we moved to the factory where the Roasting, Sorting, Winnowing, Cracking, Blending, Refining, and hardening take place. As the company name goes Loom Craft the CEO Uzo displayed deep knowledge of an experienced chocolatier. She gave us the opportunity to prepare our own brand providing refined cocoa fluid that she called “cement” because that forms the base for other ingredients that give diverse types and brands of Chocolates. Having mixed our individual chocolate modes we handed them over to Mary the Chocolatier on duty to fridge for us.

Check out the photo album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oVYH6TBEdDW5ZPye9

We went back to the Cloakroom to change our garments in preparation for the tasting session but not until Uzo took us to the warehouse outside where the bagged fermented raw cocoa seeds are kept after receiving them from suppliers mainly from Ondo, Osun and sometimes Abia state all in the southern parts of Nigeria. During the Chocolate tasting session Uzo took us on the fundamentals of the Chocolate tasting process emphasizing the dimensions of the tasing namely Aroma (how does it smell considering the spices, fruity, vegetal, floral etc.), Taste (sweet, bitter, sour, salty, umami?) what does it taste like) and Mouthfeel (checking the smoothness, hard, soft, fine, creamy, coarse, cool, warm, pungent, and melting) She gave us a “Chocolate Tasting Note Sheet” to document our experience and a Chocolate Sensory Wheel to guide our description.  We tasted 10 brands of Chocolate.

• Mango Chilly
  • Vanilla White
  • Dark Choco (70 Percent) my favourite
  • Sweet Vanilla
  • Dark Orange (flavour from orange peels and orange tree bark)
  • Coconut sesame Crush
  • Strawberry Lemon Grass
  • Diary Milk
  • Peanut Brittle
  • Spiced Black Coffee
  • Cashew Nut Blend (bonus)
  • picture showing types chocolate bars  tastedpicture showing types chocolate bars tasted

The experience was more than mind-blowing never knew Chocolatiers existed in Nigeria with brands that can stand the test of time and territory. Small and Medium Enterprises like The Faith and Claire Company are worth encouraging. The beauty of this company is that no artificial preservatives or artificial flavour is used in their production. They source their input ingredients from other SME companies thereby promoting interdependence and promoting healthy ecosystem that allows efficient division of labour in the production chain.

Reactions from the Local guides

Meet up host ogewuru tasting chocolateMeet up host ogewuru tasting chocolate

• Ogechi: He is the host and was enthusiastic to see this meet-up happen, having initiated it. Was there on time and was ready for a wonderful experience. My expectations were met. I was happy with the attendance initially when I arrived it was like this is going to be a flop, But Ada’s presence was a game changer. As a Foodie I quest for good food and never missed any opportunity to taste one. As a matter of fact, I am more active in the Food section on Connect than in any other category. For me, it was like honing my horn.
  • picture of Ada with her self made Chocolatepicture of Ada with her self made Chocolate
  • Ada: Call her a Connoisseur on Cocoa concerns that will not be a misnomer. Her punctuality was good, active participation kept the tour guide on her an edge, asking questions that confirmed the fact that she understood what this whole process was all about. In fact, it was at her demand that we got the 11th bar for tasting. Interestingly she just began growing cocoa which she made us understand was sourced from Uzo and is now yielding cocoa pods just after 2 years. Ada was the star active Local Guide in this meet-up. Her encouragement was legendry supportive, dependable, go-getter etc.
  • picture of Ugo with his chocolate barspicture of Ugo with his chocolate bars
  • Ugo, can I call him a taciturn? may be. He seldom talks but allows his eyes, tongue, mouth, and facial expression to do the talking. Despite “intimidation” from Ada and Zino who were experienced in this Chocolate thing he was apt to decipher the ingredients composition of some of these brands we tasted. An amiable guy whom I can say was a fun meeting.
  • picture of Zino tasting a Chocolate barpicture of Zino tasting a Chocolate bar
  • Zino: uhm! sophisticated? yes, a Guiding Star previously described by Google as a Lawyer by Day and Foodie by Night, she has a deep connection with food quality and displayed that wit to identify the content of each chocolate bar brought for tasting. I peeped into her “Chocolate Tasting Note Sheet” I was like! there she comes again. She was reputed for her in-depth description of food taste and nutrients which she brought to the fore. Haba? Zino your notes are like lesson notes. “You bi Ticha before? oh oh you bi lawyer”. Even at that must you give a legal brief on tour and taste meet up? An interesting lady to meet. Our Guiding Star, keep shining but remember our proposed virtual meet-up on Review.
  • picture of Bode  reacting to chocolate tastepicture of Bode reacting to chocolate taste
  • Bode; Came after we visited the factory and felt a bit sad. Uncle, why is your countenance like this? having seen him folding his arms with a sour face while the tasting session was on. I feel bad not starting from the beginning he responded. Uzo the CEO and tour guide had to adjust the session sending him to the factory to undergo the process of making his own Chocolate bar before joining us. He felt very excited about the meet-up and expressed his readiness for the next meet-up. Ah ah! finish one before you ask for another.
  • @Zino_ 
  • @adaokoli 
  • @Sagir 
  • @EmekaUlor 
  • @SholaIB 
Abuja, Nigeria
16 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: RECAP ABUJA CHOCOLATE TOUR & TASTE MEET UP

@ogewuru this is one of the most exciting and engaging meet-up I have read on Connect. I love meet-ups that teach, excite, reveal and promote local businesses. 

I planted a few cocoa trees in my villa, we just pluck and lick them when ripe. How can I get good seeds that may be useful to the company? Does she have a plan to have a branch near the sources?

Honestly, I didn't know we have such a business making chocolate in Abuja and we should continue to patronize her. Probably invite to a Local Guides event. Is Uzo a Local Guide? How does she use Google Maps to promote her business? I want to know and we'd love to support her on Maps. 

I will love to visit the chocolate factory next time I visit Abuja. 

Thanks to all the attendees. You guys rock in Aso Rock!!! 

Pls, tag Bode and Ugo here. 

Level 9

Dear @ogewuru

Kudos to the entire team and Thank you all for such an extraordinary and enlightening experience at the Loom Craft chocolate factory. A massive appreciation to our fantastic host.

Best Regards 

Kamal 

Greetings from Barishal, Bangladesh.
Level 8

@ogewuru maravilloso se ve el Recap 😊 y que rico se ve el chocolate saludos 🇦🇷🇦🇷🇦🇷

Level 10

@Maximilianozalazar 

Thank you my friend. I must confess it was an experience to relish and share

Level 8

A meaningful and flavorful meet-up and an inspiring detailed description, @ogewuru ! The wheel is interesting to use. 

Before full-scale invasion, I used to buy handmade chocolate candies from a woman in Kyiv. She created unique exquisite flavors. Sometimes it was too hard to guess the ingredients. Some were very uncommon: tomatoes, basilico, cardamon, or even garlic. Each candy in every box was a surprise that boosted one's taste buds and imagination. And the design was artistic. Once tasting, one will never perceive mass market sweets the same way.

Connect Moderator

What a great outing and experience filled meet up..

You done great @ogewuru 

Please I missed this but note that you will arrange another one in December as my birthday gift.. 😃👍

I see my people had great time @Zino_  @adaokoli you have done well...

Best regards..

NO to PLASTIC, Together, we can Achieve

Level 10

@Sagir  You really miss ooh but I trust @adaokoli she can arrange it 

Level 10

@YuliiaZa  Honestly I was surprised to see that a lot of options exist when it comes to flavour

Connect Moderator

Hello @ogewuru 

This is a great meet-up and thank you for tagging me. The bad thing about it is that I missed it Lol  

I love the sight of the chocolate. It only left me mouth watering and wishing. I like the sound of the strawberry lemon grass flavour. I love strawberry flavours. It's good to see prominent local guides members in the photo. Of course I see a one time guiding star too !!!

When is the next one? Please include me,wait till I return to Abuja.

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge