Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smelly Chinese Stinky Tofu (smelly but yummy)

When some people get passionate about Italian food, they end up knowing also famous Italian cheeses. Italy features various kinds of cheeses and, some of them, are well known for their strong odor. An example is surely Gorgonzola cheese, which is really smelly (some people say it is as smelly as feet), but yummy.

Italy is surely not the only country where you can find smelly but delicious food. If we go to Asian countries, we find for example fermented beans based recipes (the Japanese Nattō is an example). But want to try something even more smelly, capable to stand with most of the smelliest Italian cheeses? And something which is also really DELICIOUS? Let’s come to China. A big city of China. A street of a big city of China. Yeah, in a street food kiosk. It’s perfect if you try it in the commercial street of Changsha as, being Hunan, you can get really spicy flavors and well, this tofu is already delicious, if it is also really spicy it becomes divine. But will try it again in other cities in order to see if I can achieve the same high spicy level. Don’t get down because of the strong smell, it’s really the same thing of Italian cheeses: some food are smelly. Really smelly. And really delicious. This tofu is an example of these food. It is called stinky tofu and here you can see a photo of some stinky tofu ordered at a street food corner in Changsha, Hunan, with spicy peppers in abundance.

Stinky tofu ordered in Changsha by Local Guide Alessio GanciStinky tofu ordered in Changsha by Local Guide Alessio Ganci

Changsha, Hunan, China
2 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Smelly Chinese Stinky Tofu (smelly but yummy)

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. 

Personally, I love cheese, no matter its origines. Have you ever tried the Bulgarian cheese? 

When it comes to tofu, the only time I had it was in a Miso soup, and it was very tasty. 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Smelly Chinese Stinky Tofu (smelly but yummy)

Hello @BorrisS 

have never tried it but have tried a really smelly cheese in Denmark, quite similar to a smelly cheese you can find just in a local area of Italy called Santo Stefano D’Aveto (a really small town, but famous for cheese).

I eat tofu in all its variants, Chinese tofu, I love it very spicy too. But stinky tofu is completely different in smell and taste even than other Chinese tofu recipes. And really delicious.