MoniDi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Spending 5 hours in Malaga

Last year, I went on a trip to Spain and my initial plan was to go back to Bulgaria with a flight from Barcelona. However, my return flight got cancelled not long before I even left for Spain, so I had to think fast. I found that there were cheap flights to Bulgaria from other cities—I just needed to take a short domestic flight in Spain. This was how I ended up in Malaga—a port city in the southern part of the country.

With a few hours to spare before my flight home, I decided not to waste any time, but instead to go and explore the city. This was one of the best decisions I ever made! I had only five hours in Malaga but I managed to see several tourist attractions, go to the beach, and even shop for souvenirs.

Caption: A photo of the Malaga Cathedral with a lush garden of tall green trees and bushes in front of it. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the Malaga Cathedral with a lush garden of tall green trees and bushes in front of it. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

The first thing I did when I landed was to find a train that would take me straight to the city centre. Once in the centre, it wasn’t long before I saw the first attraction—Catedral de la Encarnación de Málaga. Built in the 16th century, this magnificent cathedral has a beautiful Baroque façade which you can enjoy from the square right in front of it. On the left side of the square is Palacio Episcopal—a beautiful yellow palace, built in the same architectural style.

I got my hands on a tourist map and made a plan for what to see next. I followed a street that ran along the long wall of the cathedral and reached the Roman Theatre. That was where I hit two birds with one stone because right behind the theatre I could see the Medieval fortress of Alcazaba. I could only marvel at the high walls of the fortress from the outside but if you have more time than me when visiting Malaga, make sure to go in as I heard it has amazing views of the sea!

Caption: A photo of the ruins of the Roman Theatre in Malaga with a part of the Alcazaba fortress walls in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the ruins of the Roman Theatre in Malaga with a part of the Alcazaba fortress walls in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Continuing my walk around the city, I passed by Plaza de la Merced square and headed straight to the Picasso Museum. The exhibition is housed in a restored 16th-century palace and features more than 200 works by the Spanish artist, so allow yourself enough time to enjoy it.

Not far from there I saw the stained glass wall of Mercado Central de Atarazanas. At the time I didn’t know what it was, but eventually I learned that it’s an old-fashioned covered market where you can find all types of fruits, vegetables, fresh meat, and fish.

Caption: A photo of the colourful stained glass wall of the Central Market in Malaga. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the colourful stained glass wall of the Central Market in Malaga. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

I didn’t go inside the market because I had another goal—the beach! After a quick search on Google Maps, I knew which way to go. I passed by Plaza de la Constitution de Malaga and took a photo of the famous Fuente de Génova fountain there.

Caption: A photo of the Genoa Fountain at Plaza de la Constitution in Malaga, with low-rise buildings and palm trees surrounding the square. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the Genoa Fountain at Plaza de la Constitution in Malaga, with low-rise buildings and palm trees surrounding the square. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

I continued straight from the square to Malaga Park. This quickly became my favourite place! With all the palm trees and tropical plants around, I managed to get away from the heat for a little while and felt like I was on some exotic island. The park is situated right in the city centre but it’s so peaceful and quiet that it makes for a perfect escape from the liveliness of the surrounding streets.

Caption: A photo of tall palm trees casting shadows over a pedestrian alley in Malaga Park. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of tall palm trees casting shadows over a pedestrian alley in Malaga Park. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Walking through the whole park, I passed by the contemporary art museum Centre Pompidou Malaga before I finally reached Playa la Malagueta—a popular city beach where a lot of people go to enjoy the summer. I took my time to take in the view of the sea and the palm trees.

Caption: A photo of the famous 3D sign “Malagueta” at Playa La Malagueta beach, with palm trees on the left side and the sea on the right. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the famous 3D sign “Malagueta” at Playa La Malagueta beach, with palm trees on the left side and the sea on the right. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

After a refreshing beverage, I looked at my watch and knew that it was time to go back. On my way out the port, I briefly stopped by to enjoy the amazing Fuente de las Tres Gracias fountain. From there I just had to look up to see Castillo Gibralfaro watching over the city. What’s left of this 14th-century Moorish castle fortress are some well-preserved ruins on top of a hill. I didn’t have enough time to go there but it seemed like a great place to stroll around on the castle walls and enjoy an amazing panoramic view of the area.

The last sight on my agenda was the impressive façade of Malaga’s Town Hall and I couldn’t resist taking a photo. You can enjoy an aerial view of the town hall if you visit Castillo Gibralfaro.

Caption: A photo of the Malaga’s Town Hall façade with several palm trees in front of it. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the Malaga’s Town Hall façade with several palm trees in front of it. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

If you have more time to spend in the Andalusian region of Spain, you could also take a bus and visit Gibraltar—a British territory on the southern coast of the country. You won’t regret seeing the Rock of Gibraltar! Due to time restrictions, I couldn’t go there but that’s just one more reason to visit this place again.

Malaga also impressed me with its narrow streets and small boutique shops from where I could buy some presents for my friends and family—my favourite thing to do!

Have you been to Malaga or any other city in Spain? Share your photos and experiences in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Málaga, Spain
48 comments
Level 8

Re: Spending 5 hours in Malaga

Hi @MoniDi,

Thank you for sharing this beautiful post of Malaga. It's great to see all these beautiful places in just 5 hours 👍👏👏👏. The detailed description and your beautiful photos are the best guide to suggest a visit to this nice city in the near future.

Cheers, 

Giuseppe 

Level 8

@MoniDi Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your photos are beautiful. I guess you are a person with lots of energy to explore things around. That's nice. Thanks again for the informative content and nice photos.

Level 9

@MoniDi  What a quick decision to reconsider. Malaga has amazing tourist attractions indeed. Thank you for sharing it here with us on connect. Keep it up👍

Connect Moderator

You did all that in 5 hours!!!!  You must be a roller-blader!  That's really amazing @MoniDi.  A great post with great photos about beautiful Malaga.  

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 8

@MoniDi Amazing post. very interesting 

Level 8

@MoniDi Отличный пост с отличными фотографиями. Спасибо, что поделились с нами своим опытом.

Google Moderator

Hi @AdamGT ,

Thank you for the comment. I really do like to fill my time and do as much things as I can. This way I feel like I managed to see not everything but at least the city center. Have you been to Spain yourself?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Hey thanks for your reply @MoniDi.  Yes I've been to Spain many times, in fact have visited oh so many of towns and villages there.  After walking across France and over the Pyrenees in 2011, I walked from one town/village to another in Spain starting at Roncesvalles and ending up in Santiago de Compostela and then from there to beautiful Faro de Muxia and Faro de Fisterra, of course with many stops along the way.  Later that year I visited Seville and then a few years later Ronda and Zahara de la Sierra.  I returned to Spain in 2017 spending a much more relaxed time in Barcelona and then to Cadiz and again in 2018 back to Barcelona specifically to visit Montserrat.  I love Spain 🙂

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Connect Moderator

Hi @MoniDi,

very nice post, thank you for sharing your great visit experience, amazing how many things you have seen in such short time but I agree you made the best decision and not waste such time 😉.

Btw very nice photos as well!

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂