MoniDi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

The sweet side of the Amalfi Coast

Caption: A photo of a small white round Delizia al Limone cake with whipped cream and a wild strawberry on top and two forks placed on the plate. Pink flowers and the Positano beach are visible in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a small white round Delizia al Limone cake with whipped cream and a wild strawberry on top and two forks placed on the plate. Pink flowers and the Positano beach are visible in the background. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Every year around my birthday, I try to visit new places and explore the world. Last year I went to Lanzarote—the hidden gem of the Canary Islands. This time, I fulfilled a dream of mine and spent a week on the beautiful Amalfi Coast and Capri island in Italy. There I had the chance to try some of the most traditional desserts—and I liked them all!

Italy is famous for its pizza, pasta, and seafood but I was eager to try something sweet that would not only satisfy my taste buds but fill my soul, too. During my trip I visited several cities in the Campania region. I started in Amalfi, followed by Positano, then I saw the breathtaking nature in Capri, walked around the small streets of Sorrento, and enjoyed the promenade by the sea in Salerno. In each place, I picked a different dessert that is typical for this part of Italy.

1. Gelato in Amalfi

Caption: A photo of pistachio and milk chocolate gelato in a waffle cone, decorated with pistachio chunks. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of pistachio and milk chocolate gelato in a waffle cone, decorated with pistachio chunks. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think about Italian desserts is gelato. This frozen goodness is perfect in the hot summer days because it’s usually lower in fat and made with more flavorings than other frozen desserts.

Nowadays, there are a lot of different flavors that could satisfy any taste. My first gelato flavor during the trip was pistachio and milk chocolate from Porto Slavo in Amalfi. This gelateria is located close to the Cathedral of Saint Andrew the Apostle which gives you the perfect opportunity to take pictures of your dessert and enjoy it while marvelling at the beautiful facade of the cathedral.

2. Delizia al limone in Positano

Caption: A photo of a white round Delizia al Limone cake on a white plate, with whipped cream and a wild strawberry on top. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a white round Delizia al Limone cake on a white plate, with whipped cream and a wild strawberry on top. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Thanks to the Mediterranean climate, lemons from the Campania region are considered to be among the best in the world. They are bigger, juicier, and more scented than other lemons. This is why they are often among the main ingredients in Italian dishes and desserts.

I found out that Positano not only offers amazing views of its beautiful colorful buildings, but it’s also a great place to enjoy the classic lemon dessert of the Amalfi Coast—delizia al limone. After a long walk around the small streets full of various shops, I decided to stop by Positano Paradise Lounge Bar and regain my energy with a lemon cake. This is one of the most famous desserts from the Neapolitan cuisine and its name means “lemon delight.” The base is a sponge cake soaked in limoncello—an Italian lemon liquor—and covered with lemon cream. Despite all the lemons, it was rather sweet and I enjoyed it a lot!

3. Torta Caprese on Capri

Caption: A photo of a piece of chocolate Torta Caprese cake, sprinkled with powdered sugar and cocoa, and served on a patterned plate with a fork on the side. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of a piece of chocolate Torta Caprese cake, sprinkled with powdered sugar and cocoa, and served on a patterned plate with a fork on the side. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Capri island was one of the main reasons to plan this trip and I was extremely happy when I got off the ferry that took me there from the mainland. Impatient to see the amazing landscape, I took a walk along Via del Pizzolungo, a path that led me to many beautiful natural sites. My walk turned into a hike around the whole eastern half of the island, so I was delighted to see the main street of Capri at long last.

I ordered a cup of coffee at Bar La Pompeiana and since it was the day of my birthday, I treated myself to a slice of Torta Caprese, too! This is a traditional chocolate, lemon, and almond flourless cake that originated on the island. According to one story, Torta Caprese was created by a chef who had to prepare a cake for the famous mobster Al Capone, but he was so nervous that he forgot to add the flour. And his mistake led to a heavenly result!

4. Cannoli in Sorrento 

Caption: A photo of three cannoli pastries with ricotta cream, pistachio, and lemon, placed on a napkin in a small plate. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of three cannoli pastries with ricotta cream, pistachio, and lemon, placed on a napkin in a small plate. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Sorrento impressed me a lot with its luxurious hotels along the coast, its narrow streets, and the adorable Antica Gelateria Sorrentina. This pastry shop was founded in 1860 which made me think that they must know what they’re doing when it comes to desserts!

The tables were arranged on the street and each had only two chairs. Once I sat down, I felt like I was part of Disney’s Lady and the Tramp, where the two dogs ate spaghetti and listened to an Italian accordionist playing. I ordered a cappuccino and three cannoli. Cannoli are popular Italian pastries that consist of fried tube-shaped dough, filled with sweet ricotta cream with different flavorings. I had the classic one with ricotta cream and chocolate chips, a lemon-flavored and a pistachio-flavored cannoli. My favorite was definitely the classic one.

5. Lemon cake in Salerno

Caption: A photo of homemade round lemon cake with a hole in the middle, sprinkled with powdered sugar. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of homemade round lemon cake with a hole in the middle, sprinkled with powdered sugar. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Salerno is a nice and safe city and that’s why I booked my accommodation there. The mother of my host left me homemade lemon cake every morning, so I managed to satisfy my sweet tooth without even leaving the apartment. I was amazed by her passion for baking as I’ve never been a skilled baker myself. Even though I’ve only made one cake and several cookies so far, I recognised the main ingredients of the lemon cake—flour, eggs, sugar, and, of course—lemons. The cake combined perfectly with fruit flavored yoghurt.

Never have I eaten so many sweets on a trip before but I don’t regret even one bite!

What's a must-try traditional dessert in your area? Share with us in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

69 comments
Level 10

Re: The sweet side of the Amalfi Coast

@MoniDi  if you travel in Dhaka ,Bangladesh Southern part it's called ( Old Dhaka-  a land of culture - and food) . must try few food item

1.Sandesh  

sweet is a milk based sweet from curdled milk or chhena and then mixed with sugar before shaping it oval.

Taste: sweet 

Sugar level:  7/10

Price: 7.5$ / 600bdt  per kg

2. Motichur Laddu Left One Motichur LaddoLeft One Motichur Laddo

3.  Bakorkhani 

sweet and normal Bakhor khanisweet and normal Bakhor khani

About bakhorkhani  my connect post :Bangladeshi Food Part - 1 Bakorkhani /suka roti / বাকরখানি

Mahabub Hasan
Former Google Contributor

Hi @MoniDi,

What a post! If only sweets were made for diets! I have never been to Italy, but after reading your experience while visiting there, I know for sure that one of my next destinations must be Italy. For sure, there are countless of great places to discover and there is something special about all of them.

As you know, desserts are my passion, haha, I secretly shared 2 pieces of cake with a friend as I usually tell people that I am trying to eat less cakes (Is life without desserts a real life, hehe?). Here is a photo that I captured while I was feeling happily guilty.

Caption: A photo of two cakes, a cake full of meringues on the left and a red velvet cake on the right with two drinks on the background and a nice view after sunset towards the mountain. (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A photo of two cakes, a cake full of meringues on the left and a red velvet cake on the right with two drinks on the background and a nice view after sunset towards the mountain. (Local Guide @TsekoV)

Which one of the desserts you liked the most @MoniDi?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

@MoniDi Wow, you tried so many desserts there. If you go there again, which one would you have again? Thank you for sharing your experience and nice photos with us.

Google Moderator

Hey @MahabubMunna ,

Thanks for sharing the traditional desserts of Bangladesh. I read your post too, the way they make Bakorkhani is very interesting. I personally like chocolate desserts. Is it typical to eat these kind of biscuits with a jam or chocolate? Are they considered as breakfast food? 

Level 9

Dear@MoniDi  I think these are many delicious foods. which type foods after seeing, water comes out from the tongue. Thank you for sharing. 

Md Polash Hossien

||
Google Moderator

Hey @TsekoV ,

You sound just like me, I love desserts and I cannot live without chocolate. As long as you enjoy something, you shouldn't feel guilty, especially when you have these delicious cakes in front of you and a good friend you can enjoy them with.

To answer your question, my favourite dessert in Italy was definitely the Torta Caprese not only because it was all chocolatey but also it was my birthday cake. The whole experience from Capri is something I will remember forever. You should definitely put it on your list for must-visit places! It is worth it! 

Level 10

@MoniDi  in south Asia not cultivate coco , as a  result  chocolate made food we called it there bakery food mean only regularly home made . but so many sweets and hand made cookie item in there . 

Naksi pitha: Bangladeshi Food Part - 2 Naksi Pitha / নকশী পিঠা 

Breakfast:  

in there people eat in Breakfat ,

Parata and Dal ( most popular )Parata and dalParata and dal

Nan and Nehari 

Mahabub Hasan
Google Moderator

Hey @Ant_Bad_Yogi ,

I always aim to try new things even if I return to a place. However, I really enjoyed the cannoli and Torta Caprese. As long as there is chocolate, I am almost a hundred per cent sure that I will like the dessert. Next time I visit Italy, I will make sure to try tiramisu because the last time I had one was in Venice a few years ago. I also want to try Panna Cotta which consist of sweetened cream that is thickened with gelatin and flavoured either with coffee or vanilla. Usually they put fresh berries on top of it to make it more colourful. 

Have you been to Italy? If the answer is yes, tell us about your experience there. 

Level 9

Since it's summer now in Taipei, Taiwan, what I'd like to share with you is ice! Think of ice-cream? Nah, in Taiwan, most ice shops sell shaved ice. The most traditional Taiwanese style shaved ice is pure ice flakes with sugar water and served with various toppings (taro, azuki beans, green beans, tapioca balls, etc.) on it. Or, if you like fruits, you could also have mango ice, strawberries ice, and many others!

Hot Mochi with peanut powder and shaved ice with toppingsHot Mochi with peanut powder and shaved ice with toppings

Mango snowflake iceMango snowflake ice

A foodie, traveler, and street art amateur.
City Graffiti & Street Art.