Radhika26's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Things not to miss in Madurai

Madurai is called as cultural capital of Tamilnadu. Ruled by Pandyas for years, history says when Kadamba forest was cleared the city emerged and was then was called as Kadambavanam. Madurai was also known as Koodal, Thiruvalavai and Naanmadakoodal. There has been a mention of this city in Silapathikaram and Nalayira Divya Prabandam. In Buddhist texts Madurai was the land were jewels were kept, while sangam era states Kalabhra dynasty were the first rulers before Pandyas. Summers are hot, while rains are heavy, and winters are cool. Be any part of India there is easy connectivity to this city. Being popular for temples, this city has some unique things, that shouldn’t be missed when you are travelling. 

IMG_2796.jpeg

https://maps.app.goo.gl/w3YPqhhmztS5SLdp8?g_st=ic 

1) IDLY- Every nook and corner of the city sells idly. Batter is freshly made and idly is steamed on a cloth added to the idly plates. Two variety chutneys are usually made along with a cup of sambhar. In many places, you would see gun powder blended with oil or ghee. Madurai idlys are made so soft that, their batter is pure white in color. Popularly named as Mallipoo idly, best idlys are seen near Sri Meenakshi amman temple and Thirunagar area.  
IMG_0489.jpeg

2) Mallipoo- Jasmine flowers in Madurai are thick, round offering lovely fragrance. They origin from a nearby village Thangachimadam which is about 160kms away. Spread on a 100 acre land, jasmines are plucked and brought as sacks to Madurai early every morning which is also offered to Sri Meenakshi amman first then seen all over the city. These jasmine flowers are tied close by making the whole flower as a thick set. In Madurai jasmine flowers are sold on count basis. Fragrance stays for more than two days. Best fresh flowers are seen near Sri Meenakshi amman temple and Thiruparankundram temple. 

3) Paruthi paal- Called as local drink of Madurai, seen all through summer, there is an ancient shop selling this drink which has turned 100 years old recently. You would see many prepare and sell this drink freshly on the streets too. Streets will see a man selling this drink in cycle. Updated version of this drink is millet Paruthi paal. This drink has medicinal values too, that it controls diabetes and raises WBC count. Best Paruthi paal I had was at TVS nagar. 

4)Thazham poo kumkum- When you enter Sri Meenakshi amman temple, a subtle fragrance takes over you. Following the fragrance you will lead yourself to an array of shops selling kumkum called as Thazham poo kumkum in Madurai. This kumkum is dark red in color almost dark maroon which is used to do Pooja to God and Goddess of Sri Meenakshi amman temple. They are sold in grams while this Kumkum is made only in Madurai but sold all over India. They best to buy at temple premises. 
https://maps.app.goo.gl/d6FQw3bqz828i9oh6?g_st=ic 

5) Jigarthanda- Popularly named as Madurai must taste drink. During summer this drink is seen in all parts of Madurai. In a huge tumbler topped with icecream this drink is sold. After consuming the drink, with a spoon don’t forget to taste the bottom soaked ingredients. They are healthy offering great taste too. Kadal Pasi seeds are the main ingredients of this drink which offer great digestion. Madurai Famous Jigarthanda shop in Thirumangalam is the original and best shop to taste is around Shiva temple.

IMG_3038.jpeg

https://maps.app.goo.gl/U5jyqRqzTMdx3JpL9?g_st=ic 
6) Chocolate sticks - This item is called as delicacy sweet of Madurai. A kind of chocolate candy, which melts in your mouth in no time holding taste for long. You could put the whole stick and suck the essence out. If it is refrigerated then break the chocolate and taste, if not just eat it like that. Raja barley shop around temple premises sells best chocolate sticks. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5KfKYca7CcoNFXcQ8?g_st=ic 

7) Inmayil Nammai Tharuvar temple- Devoted to Lord Shiva, “Amidst hardships Lord offers you blessings” is the literal English meaning of the temple. Myth story is Lord Shiva visited this temple before marrying Mata Parvathi Devi. This temple is also known as Krishna temple where Lord Krishna is seen in standing position. Besides you get to see Navagrahas. Popular during Shivaratri, this temple has great ambience, is spacious and has two ways entrance. Located around Shiva temple, this temple is a must to visit in Madurai. 
IMG_0496.jpeg

https://maps.app.goo.gl/F7ttengJST9xPtDNA?g_st=ic 

😎Chithirai thiruvizha- Called as Meenakshi Sundareshwarar marriage, this fest is celebrated in the month of April for 10 days starting from Kodi yetram and completes with Azhagar Athula erangarthu function. During this fair time, shopping for clothes, walking around the temple premises area, tasting best Madurai food is a must to do. 

9) Bhajji and vada shops- Here Bhajji appear dark in color, while vada are beyond the word crispy. Evenings from 4pm every area of Madurai sells these delicacies. They are prepared fresh, right in front of your eyes and sold at a very nominal price. Piping hot Bhajji and vada combo are served with thick chutneys, don’t miss them in Madurai. 

10) Halwa- I would call it as traditional sweet of Madurai. From Tirunelveli halwa has moved to Madurai, where you can find it in many shops. One such shop I would visit regularly and taste best halwa is Lala Halwa kadai located near Madurai railway station. They are consumed hot with mixture. 
https://maps.app.goo.gl/nQnbSpEN5TVHP3Pw9?g_st=ic 

11) Murugan idly shop- Madurai would always remind you of soft Mallipoo idlys. One such famous shop to try best soft idlies are at Murugan idly shop- Mela maasi veedhi. On a banana leaf hot hot idlys with variety chutneys are served. The meal completes with a cup of coffee or one tumbler of Jigarthanda. A famous shop having branches at many places in Tamilnadu. 

IMG_3037.jpeg

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xLmBe12ktZNJRVw38?g_st=ic 

12) The shankwallas- The very name reminds me of unlimited chapattis and curries with pickles. A very popular Jain restraunant where on the first floor you would find a huge room filled with tables chairs serving authentic, healthy food. Evening dinner starts from 7pm. Their curries are mild flavoured while pickles top the whole list. They have take away too. The best soft chapattis to eat in Madurai. 

I entered Madurai as a new bride 25 years ago and stayed in the city for five years. Almost every year or two years once I visit Madurai. Recently travelled to Madurai in the month of February. Though I could not cover all the things I mentioned above, I had idly at Murugan shop, tasted Jigarthanda, bought Mallipoo around the temple, looked for Thazhampoo kumku, sipped Paruthi paal forgetting my sugar levels, and packed Bhajji and vada for our journey ahead to Nagercoil. There are lots more to write about Madurai, which I will in my forthcoming article.

IMG_2797.jpeg

Radhika
Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
13 comments
Level 8

Re: Things not to miss in Madurai

Nice post @Radhika26 Ji & Halwa - I have eaten it in the market located in Padmanabhan Swamy temple Area market in Trivandrum, it is very tasty sweet halwa, when I saw and ate this halwa it was somewhat like chewinggum but very delicious & sweet so I decided to gift it to my near & dear friend and gave it to all my friends, all those friends told me that they had never seen or eaten such halwa. But everyone was very happy to know about this sweet.

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Level 7

Thank you @ShailendraOjha . 
yes true halwa is more of gum type but a great sweet. Even I tried it first in Madurai only. 
oh Trivandrum has a halwa shop? I didn’t know. Will try halwa there too. Thank you for sharing info. 

Radhika
Level 8

@Radhika26 sería interesante probarlo.

Level 8

Very well written @Radhika26 and wonderful pictures 😀 thanks to sharing us 😀

Raj_Tayade ||" Relationships are formed when you travel with your heart "||

My Map||My Insta||My Post Gallery

Level 9

Betreff: Things not to miss in Madurai

@Radhika26 

Es ist eine unglaubliche Übersicht über Essen, Getränke und sonstigen Schönheiten dieses Ortes.

Der Tempel dort ist von der Gestaltung auch sehr besonders und hat mir sehr gut gefallen.

Level 9

Hi @Radhika26   very good post , but as i can see your post contain copy right images so i request you to ple remove those images which are not yours , Here on connect we promote original content  , posted by users ,  i am #tagging @ShailendraOjha  ji for more insight on this . 

you can read how to post what to post : Local Guides Connect Content Policy 

Satyameva Jayate सत्यमेव जयते
Level 8

Very well written 👏 

Level 8

Thanks for tag, I think @RaviSharma111 you talk to halwa pic.(Image),i just check the halwa image it's not belong to @Radhika26 Ji, so pls @radhika Ji if you not belong to this pic. Pls remove & post to click by your own camera pic on post. It's good prectice.thanks.

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Level 9

What I suggest @Radhika26   ji to Remove all your images which is not yours I specially recomend #photo 7 which  is showing logo of gallaryoneindia. Com  remove all those images which include logo other wise some Connect moderator or goggle will remove This. Thank you 🙏 my suggesion is over Do what you want or like. 

जय श्री राम🚩

Satyameva Jayate सत्यमेव जयते