Nidhish_Jaju's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Title: A Magical Journey to Kalsubai: Trekking Maharashtra's Highest Peak 1,646 metres (5,400 ft)

Introduction:
On the 10th of June, 2023, fueled with excitement and a sense of adventure, I embarked on a journey with my friends to conquer Kalsubai, the highest peak in Maharashtra. Little did we know that this trip would not only test our physical endurance but also gift us with moments of beauty and unforgettable memories.

We set off early in the morning from  Chh.Sambhajinagar (Aurangabad) in our car, eager to begin our adventure. The road trip to the base village, Bari, was filled with laughter, music, and anticipation. As we drove closer to our destination, the majestic peaks of the Western Ghats loomed larger, beckoning us onward.

Upon reaching Bari, we were greeted by the sight of fellow trekkers gearing up for the ascent. Excitement within us as we prepared ourselves for the challenging trek ahead. After breakfast at a local house, we set out on the trail, our spirits high and our backpacks filled with trek essentials.

The trek up Kalsubai presented us with both physical challenges, some of us and breathtaking views along the way. The trail through lush greenery, rocky terrain. Each step brought us closer to the summit, fueled by determination. For experienced trekkers like us, it took just one hour to reach the summit. However, for others, it's around 2 to 3 hours as per your speed and stamina.

As evening descended upon us, we reached the summit of Kalsubai, just in time to witness a spectacular sunset. The sky transformed into a canvas of fiery hues, casting a mesmerizing glow over the landscape. Eager to settle in for the night, we pitched our tents and went to have dinner. However, our peace was soon interrupted by the strong wind. It howled around us with such force that our tent almost took a flight. Thankfully, one among us spotted the impending disaster and alerted the group. With swift action, we rushed to the rescue, grasping onto the flailing tent poles and securing them with heavy stones to prevent any further mishaps. Once the tent was firmly anchored, we resumed our evening, grateful for the quick response that saved our shelter from being blown away by the strong wind.

The night sky above Kalsubai was a sight to behold. With no city lights to dim its brilliance, the Milky Way stretched across the heavens, illuminating the darkness with its ethereal glow. Around the campfire, we shared stories, laughter, and moments of quiet reflection, grateful for the beauty of the natural world.

As the night progressed, nature treated us to another magical display – the dance of fireflies. These tiny insects flickered like stars amidst the foliage, casting a magical spell over the landscape. In that moment, we felt truly connected to the rhythms of the natural world, humbled by its beauty and diversity.

As dawn broke on the horizon, we emerged from our tents to witness the sunrise from the summit of Kalsubai. The first rays of sunlight painted the landscape in golden hues, casting long shadows across the rugged terrain. In that moment, we felt a sense of accomplishment and gratitude for the privilege of experiencing such natural wonders.

At the summit of Kalsubai, amidst the breathtaking views, stands the  Kalsubai Devi temple. 

Conclusion:
As we began our descent from Kalsubai on the 11th of June, our hearts were full of memories that would last a lifetime. Our journey to Maharashtra's highest peak had been a test of endurance, a celebration of friendship, and a communion with nature's beauty. As we bid farewell to Kalsubai, we carried with us the lessons learned and the moments cherished, forever grateful for the transformative power of adventure.

Recommendation

Parking Arrangements: While visiting Kalsubai, consider the parking options available at the base village, Bari. While there may be designated parking areas, it's advisable to inquire locally about parking facilities and their availability. In some cases, local residents may offer parking space on their premises for a nominal fee, providing an additional layer of security for your vehicle.

Food Options: Consider carrying your own food for the trek, as it provides flexibility and allows you to cater to your preferences. Pack lightweight, high-energy snacks such as nuts, dried fruits, and energy bars to keep you fueled throughout the journey. Additionally, if you prefer hot meals, you can bring instant noodles or ready-to-eat meals that require minimal preparation.
Summit Food Availability: While ascending Kalsubai, you'll find vendors selling snacks such as chips and packaged noodles at certain points along the trail. They also have meals available, However, keep in mind that prices may be higher due to the logistical challenges of transporting goods to higher elevations. If you prefer convenience over cost, you can purchase snacks or bottled water at the summit. 

Tent Accommodation Options: If you're planning to stay overnight at the summit of Kalsubai, some local vendors offer tent accommodation packages, including dinner, breakfast, and tent rental services. These packages provide convenience for trekkers who prefer not to carry their own tents and camping supplies. However, it's recommended to inquire about availability and reservation procedures at the base village before ascending to the summit to ensure accommodation arrangements are secured. Additionally, verify the details of the package, including the cost and amenities provided, to make an informed decision. Alternatively, if you prefer more independence and flexibility, you can bring your own tent for the overnight stay. Consider purchasing a compact and high-quality tent from reputable outdoor retailers like Decathlon, known for their durable and portable camping gear. By having your own tent, you can enjoy the freedom to set up camp at your preferred location and tailor your camping experience to suit your preferences.

Torchs are Essential for navigating the trail, especially if you plan to stay overnight.  stay charged throughout the trek by carrying a portable power bank. 
Proper Trekking Shoes: Invest in a sturdy pair of trekking shoes with good ankle support and grip to navigate the varied terrain comfortably. 
Camera or Phone: Capture the beauty of the night sky and scenic landscapes with a camera or smartphone. 
Essential Medication: Carry a small first aid kit containing essential medications such as per your own needs.
Avoid Heavy Packing: Pack light and prioritize essential items to minimize the weight of your backpack. Choose lightweight, compact versions of gear and clothing to optimize mobility and comfort during the trek. Avoid unnecessary items that add bulk and strain to your shoulders and back.
By carrying these essential items, you'll be well-prepared to tackle the challenges of the trek while ensuring your safety, comfort, and enjoyment throughout the journey.

Washrooms At Summit: While at the summit of Kalsubai, there are limited to no washroom facilities available. 
At Base Village: Bari may have limited public toilet facilities available. It's advisable to inquire locally about the availability and condition of these facilities before starting your trek. Be prepared for basic amenities and consider bringing personal hygiene items.

Ideal Time to Visit: The best times to visit Kalsubai are during the pre-monsoon and post-monsoon seasons, offering stunning panoramic views and pleasant weather conditions. Pre-monsoon and post-monsoon periods provide an excellent opportunity to witness breathtaking scenery, with clouds swirling below you and clear views of nearby forts such as Ratangad, Alang, Madan, Kulang (collectively known as AMK), Harishchandragad, and the Bhandardara Dam. These seasons offer optimal visibility and allow you to appreciate the rugged beauty of the surrounding landscape.
During the monsoon season, trekking to Kalsubai can be a unique experience, but heavy rainfall may obscure the views from the summit. While trekking in light rain can add to the adventure, it's advisable to avoid heavy downpours for safety reasons.

Overall, all seasons have their charm, but the pre-monsoon and post-monsoon seasons offer the best opportunity for breathtaking views and memorable experiences. Whether you're a nature enthusiast, adventure seeker, or simply looking for a peaceful getaway, visiting Kalsubai during these seasons ensures a memorable and rewarding trekking experience.

ViewView

Sunset From SummitSunset From Summit

Kalsubai Devi Temple, 5,400 ftKalsubai Devi Temple, 5,400 ft

View From SummitView From Summit

View From SummitView From Summit

Nidhish Jaju ||" Exploring the world, one trail at a time "||

My Map||My Insta||My Post Gallery

22 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Title: A Magical Journey to Kalsubai: Trekking Maharashtra's Highest Peak 1,646 metres (5,400 ft

I love a great bushwalk @Nidhish_Jaju thanks for the story. The only other tips I would suggest for an event like yours is pack out what you pack in both material waste and human. When visiting the most beautiful places on earth we have a responsibility to make sure that they stay the way we found them.

Paul

Level 6

Re: Title: A Magical Journey to Kalsubai: Trekking Maharashtra's Highest Peak 1,646 metres (5,400 ft

Absolutely protecting the environment is key. Leave no trace behind, so others can enjoy the beauty of nature.

Connect Moderator

Excellent post dear @Nidhish_Jaju that gives complete information and narration about your exciting journey to Kalsubai from Aurangabad.

I loved all the photos and the helpful tips you provided in each category 👍

Also nice to know that there are all kinds of facilities provided along the way like food, accommodation, and camping.

Level 9

Betreff: Title: A Magical Journey to Kalsubai: Trekking Maharashtra's Highest Peak 1,646 metres (5,4

@Nidhish_Jaju ein sehr interessanter und ausführlicher Beitrag über diesen Aufenthalt auf dem Gipfel. Wie schön muss man dort den ganzen Sternenhimmel sehen können.

Die Bilder zeigen eine fantastische Landschaft 

Level 6

Thank you so much I'm thrilled you enjoyed the post and found it helpful. Happy to share the journey with you

Level 6

Betreff: Title: A Magical Journey to Kalsubai: Trekking Maharashtra's Highest Peak 1,646 metres (5,4

Thank you.The starry sky at the summit is indeed breathtaking, and the landscape is truly magnificent. Glad you enjoyed the post and the pictures

Connect Moderator

Your photos in the post look wonderful after changing the display size, dear @Nidhish_Jaju 

I would suggest using the @ tool to address people when replying, as I have done above.
This sends a notification to people about your message and helps keep communication streamlined.

Level 6

@Tushar_Suradkar  yess sir I forgot to use @

Level 9

Wow, wonderful post and photos @Nidhish_Jaju . 

I would love to see such great posts from you in future. Thanks for sharing with us.

Cheers!

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |