MoniDi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

Travel inspiration from Menorca, the pearl of the Balearic Islands

One of the things that I love to do while at home is browse through my old travel photos. This not only brings me joy but also makes me feel like I’m revisiting those places. I want to take you back to one of my favorite trips.

Caption: A photo of several boats floating on the turquoise waters near a rocky beach in Menorca, Spain. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of several boats floating on the turquoise waters near a rocky beach in Menorca, Spain. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Last year, I went to Menorca, which is one of the Balearic Islands, a Spanish archipelago in the Mediterranean Sea. It is not so popular among tourists as its party counterpart, Ibiza, and the largest island, Mallorca, making it ideal for full-time relaxation. What is more, Menorca seems to have more beaches than the other two islands combined. They vary from sandy crescents to rocky, turquoise-watered bays called “calas.” 

Menorca was all about sunbathing and relaxation, and I had added several beaches where I could do that to my list before going. I rented a car for ease of traveling around the island. There were taxis and public transportation available, but they weren’t as convenient as the car.

Caption: A photo of Cala Macarella, showing a beach surrounded by green trees and washed by emerald waters. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of Cala Macarella, showing a beach surrounded by green trees and washed by emerald waters. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Cala Macarella was the first place I went to, and my jaw dropped. I could easily say that it became my favorite beach in Menorca. The fine sand, rocky cliffs, and dark green pines, complemented by the shallow turquoise waters of the bay, made me feel like I was in paradise.  There was a seafood restaurant there, which was also a plus. Most of the beaches in Menorca didn’t have restaurants, bars, or shops nearby.

Caption: A photo of the secluded Macarelleta Beach from a high point, showing people sunbathing and swimming in the water. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the secluded Macarelleta Beach from a high point, showing people sunbathing and swimming in the water. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Macarelleta was a quaint beach, some 10-minute hike from Cala Macarella. I climbed the rocky cliffs, careful not to fall. Flip-flops were not a good idea, but the view was worth the adventure. 

Caption: A photo of Binigaus Beach with a big rock formation near the coast. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of Binigaus Beach with a big rock formation near the coast. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

One of the days was too windy, so a local recommended me to try the warmer southern coast. I spent that day on Platja Binigaus, a very long sandy beach with a clothing-optional zone. Fun fact: that was the only beach where my cell phone had a signal. 

Caption: A photo of the white Cavalleria Lighthouse on top of a rocky cliff. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the white Cavalleria Lighthouse on top of a rocky cliff. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

The wind had brought clouds the next day. As sunbathing was a no go, I decided to drive around the island. Thus, I reached the northernmost part of the island, Cape Cavalleria Lighthouse. The dramatic sea views were a real treat after the long drive. 

Caption: A photo of one of the crescent-shaped, red-soil Cavalleria Beaches. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of one of the crescent-shaped, red-soil Cavalleria Beaches. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

After Cape Cavalleria Lighthouse, I checked out the Cavalleria Beaches, which were nearby. They were surrounded by red-soil dunes with low vegetation. Quite an interesting place! 

Caption: A photo of the turquoise water and the lush green trees at Cala en Turqueta Beach. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of the turquoise water and the lush green trees at Cala en Turqueta Beach. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Cala en Turqueta was the last beach I visited. Despite being the most famous on the island, it was not easy to reach. In peak season, some of the beaches in Menorca are accessible only by minibuses, with tickets sold out for days ahead. Be that as it may, I had to see Cala en Turqueta, and I wasn’t disappointed. The water was so clear that I went in for a good swim. One thing I didn’t enjoy, though, were the boats with tourists that came every two hours and disturbed the tranquility of the place. Wildlife enthusiasts will probably appreciate the wild goats rambling around the beach as if there were no people to bother them. 

Caption: An evening photo of the Castell de Sant Nicolau stone tower, two palm trees, and the harbor in Ciutadella de Menorca. (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: An evening photo of the Castell de Sant Nicolau stone tower, two palm trees, and the harbor in Ciutadella de Menorca. (Local Guide @MoniDi)

On the last night of the trip, I had a great dinner in Ciutadella de Menorca, a city on the western end of the island. The old town featured 17th- and 18th-century mansions and Moorish architecture. The sunset at Castell de Sant Nicolau tower was the perfect ending to the trip. 

Have you ever been to the Balearic Islands? Share your memories from a beach or island trip in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Menorca, Spain
13 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Travel inspiration from Menorca, the pearl of the Balearic Islands

The photos and the beaches are breathtakingly beautiful @MoniDi, No doubt they help us re-live the moments and freshen up the mind in these days of a forced lockdown.

~Greetings from New Delhi

Level 10

@MoniDi  wow! those are amazing pictures.... would love to go there as well! 😀

Level 6

Hi @MoniDi

Thanks for sharing with us. Your photos are beautiful!

I recently shared my memories from The Exotic Pink Beach of Komodo Island It was amazing!

Connect Moderator

Hi @MoniDi,

wow very nice post and very beautiful photos, wish to be there right now with the such warm temperature we are having 🌅. I'm sure you enjoyed a lot the trip and it is very nice to browse back those photos.

I've never been to Balearic Islands but I'll attempt to do it once, many friends are saying only good things from those places 😊.

Thank you for sharing your experience 😉.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Level 7

Mesmerizing@MoniDi

Level 10

All the beaches looks different but at the same time they all are beautiful. The best part what I like about these beaches is the climbing part to access these beautiful places. Any advice on how the elderly/ can access these beautiful beaches @MoniDi 

KFUPM, Technology Transfer Executive
Connect Moderator

Hola @MoniDi  que bonita es Menorca! es cierto, conozco gente que me ha hablado maravillas de Ibiza, todo es Ibiza. Pero según parece por tus imágenes Menorca es más familiar, más tranquila. Voy a agregar este lugar a mi lista de deseos. Ésas aguas turquesa, y el mar tan calmo, parece una pileta de natación, verdad? 

Menorca es tan costosa como las otras islas?

En éstos momentos de cuarentena, aún con muchas limitaciones en mi ciudad, a mi también me gusta ver fotos de mis viajes y recordar ésos momentos, a veces también compartiéndolos aquí en Connect, hasta que las cosas vuelvan a la normalidad.

Muy lindo post!

Saludos.

Silvy 🇦🇷

Google Moderator

Hey @fasi6083 ,

Thanks for checking my post. Most of the beaches are accessible and one can reach them walking down a path through the trees. However, perhaps the best way for people with walking disability is to visit them by these tourist boats. I am not sure if this is the easiest way as some people had to jump of the boat and step on the rocky cliffs. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Moderator

Hello @SilvyC ,

Thank you for checking my post. To answer your question, I think that Menorca is cheaper but just as beautiful as the other islands. It is true that it is better to go there if you want to relax and enjoy the nature rather than go to a party.