BorrisS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Two Google Moderators discover Rome: toothsome desserts

When most trips are on hold, do you find yourself looking back on your travel memories? @TsekoV and I recently talked about how much we missed the feeling of boarding a plane and heading to a new destination. We found out we have both visited Rome before, so we thought to share our amazing and diverse experiences there.

For starters, we want to present to you four toothsome desserts we tried in the Italian capital. We looked up the locations of the restaurants and pastry shops on Google Maps to see what other Local Guides like about them and share in their reviews while supporting local businesses.

Caption: A collage of four photos showing ice-cream cones in different sizes and little jars with decorations for them (left top and bottom) and different ice-cream flavors (right top and bottom). (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A collage of four photos showing ice-cream cones in different sizes and little jars with decorations for them (left top and bottom) and different ice-cream flavors (right top and bottom). (Local Guide @TsekoV)

Gelato

Tseko: The first treat I enjoyed in Rome was the renowned Italian gelato. Prior to our trip, one of my friends found Venchi Cioccolato e Gelato on Maps, an LGBTQ-friendly ice-cream shop right next to the Pantheon. The long queue we saw outside when we got there was promising.

As we entered, we discovered that there were many flavors to choose from. I loved the chocolate gelato because it was quite intense and creamy. It tasted just like frozen homemade chocolate spread. Another thing that impressed me was the ice-cream cones dipped in chocolate and covered with crushed nuts, coconut shavings, and other decorations, which made this dessert irresistible.

Local Guide Massimiliano Cirulli says about the shop that is an “elegant classic store,” and he loves the captivating “colorful lights from the immense walls of chocolate.” Meanwhile, Local Guide Francesca Artale praises the knowledgeable staff who answered in detail her questions about the lactose and gluten content of the gelato.

Caption: A photo of a glass bowl of tiramisu served on a white plate. (Local Guide @TsekoV)Caption: A photo of a glass bowl of tiramisu served on a white plate. (Local Guide @TsekoV)

Tiramisu 

We had our first dinner in Rome at Ristorante Pizzeria da Michele, close to the Colosseum. It was a restaurant our Airbnb host recommended when we asked him about a traditional restaurant in the neighborhood where locals loved to go.

Unsurprisingly, the menu was only in Italian, but it was easy to pick our favorite desserts. I got tiramisu, curious what the original taste would be like. It was light, soft, and creamy, and I loved it. 

In her review, Local Guide Maggy Pico says that she enjoys “the welcome, the service, and the quality of the dishes.” And even though Local Guide Lisa Esse admits that she visited the restaurant a few years ago, she hopes to return soon and have more of its “simple and delicate” cuisine.

Caption: A photo of a hand holding a large cannolo with different toppings on both ends. (Local Guide @BorrisS)Caption: A photo of a hand holding a large cannolo with different toppings on both ends. (Local Guide @BorrisS)

Boris: It’s difficult to see everything in Rome unless you spend a lifetime there. My last trip there was all about relaxing while discovering the local flavors. That was when I experienced the do-nothing philosophy farniente and the sweetness of la dolce vita

Sicilian cannoli

As I was walking along Viale Libia, a cozy little shop with the name AMMU Cannoli Espressi Siciliani caught my eye. The shop’s interior was white with colorful ornaments here and there, and a smiling woman stood behind the counter. 

Despite its name, the place didn’t offer only cannoli. There were other sweets, chocolates, and drinks, but the cannoli were the stars. They consist of fried tube-shaped dough shells and a cream filling, usually with ricotta cheese.

It wasn’t the first time I was having a cannolo, but that one was huge. When I ordered it, the woman put the filling and decorated it on both ends. I sat at the only table in the shop, as the place was mostly for takeaways, to enjoy my real Sicilian cannolo, just like Local Guide Gaetano Pavia confirms in his review.

Caption: A photo of aragostine topped with cream and powdered sugar on display in a shop window. (Local Guide @BorrisS)Caption: A photo of aragostine topped with cream and powdered sugar on display in a shop window. (Local Guide @BorrisS)

Aragostine

Unlike the cannoli, which I had tried before going to Italy, the aragostine sweets were a real discovery. The name aragostine comes from the Italian word aragosta, meaning “lobster.” It describes the shape of the dessert, which resembles a lobster tail. 

Thanks to their crispy taste and creamy filling, the aragostine became my favorite thing to eat on my trip. Whenever I stopped by a bakery, they were the first thing on my mind. Among the many places where I had them was Pasticceria Marinari, which Local Guide Michel Salim says is one of the best pastry shops in Rome. One bit of advice from me: do not visit Italy if you are on a diet! 

What is your favorite dessert you had while traveling, and where did you have it? Feel free to share a link to your reviews in the comments.

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Rome, Metropolitan City of Rome, Italy
55 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Two Google Moderators discover Rome: toothsome desserts

Hi @BorrisS,

wow this post is so mouth watering, the photos are fantastic and you can indeed find a very good selection of desserts here in Italy... I'm sure you and @TsekoV you must been having good times in your trips 😎. I believe you can gain some kilos just looking at all those places and their delicious creations 😋.

One of my favorite dessert is the Tiramisu, however we are playing not fair if we compare it to Italy although some times I had very good ones also while travelling.

So I just made a collage of few of them, inclusive of course of the Tiramisu from Treviso 😋, isn't it @ErmesT ?

20160908_195357-COLLAGE.jpg20160908_195357-COLLAGE.jpg

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Thank you for the kind words, @LuigiZ😊

I must say all these types of tiramisu look so tempting. Are they very different in taste?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

Mamma mia! @BorrisS and @TsekoV brougth us a sweet post, complementi! When I was in Rome, I ate at Gelato in Trevi, which according to the owner's description, sells: "100% Italian artisan ice cream...Continuous production! Great choice of taste...all delicious". My almond ice cream was so creamy! 

But I haven't to travel to Italy to taste an Italian dessert because I went at Da Nico Lela La Fabbrica and enjoyed 4 Italian desserts in one dish, consisting of: soffiato di ciocolatto, tiramisu, panna cotta and gelato, they were all divine.

IMG_20210110_150533548~2.jpg

Beatriz Aguilar | bandera-de-venezuela-imagen-animada-0001| Instagram

Hello @LuigiZ,

These tiramisu look amazing! I remember the first time ever I had this dessert, so many years ago at the Latium restaurant in Rabat, Morocco.

@BeatrizAguilar, the plate looks fabulous! Which dessert did you enjoy the most?

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 9

@BorrisS I enjoyed all of them, but the panna cotta was sublime.

Beatriz Aguilar | bandera-de-venezuela-imagen-animada-0001| Instagram
Level 10

Hi @BorrisS ! 
With this post of yours, at least I put on a kilo just thinking about it and looking at all the photos!
The aragostine with cream!
They are among my favorite pastas: their crunchy pasta that shatters into a thousand pieces in the mouth combined with the cream is an experience to try at least once in a lifetime .... so then it becomes a vice and really addicting!

Bye,

David

Level 10

Hi @BorrisS  Fantastic sweets! Looking at these photos is kind of torture for me. I love to eat all kinds of sweets. If you come here one day,  Marostica (Italy) , there is a restaurant that makes a wonderful tiramisù, they make it at the moment. Trattoria da Battista.

Connect Moderator

Thank you very much @TsekoV, yes they are bit different in taste if you check against the Tiramisu recipe and what type of ingredients are used. However the overall general taste is always resembling what we know Tiramisu tastes of 😊.

Tiramisu is the most reproduced dessert everywhere and in every kind of form, I've found it with biscuits, without, with different ones, in the glass, liquid, with foam, with so many different types of cream and so on hehe .. at the end it is always delicious as I like it too much 🤤.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Level 9

Hello @BorrisS  The treats look so tantalising, . It made feel like jumping onboard. Anyway my best experience is in Antalya Turkey, I have heard stretchy Turkish goat milk ice cream. When our tour bus stopped at a cafe,  I got my chance to taste it. The ice cream is super delicious  so much that my taste bud still remembers it. I will never forget the experience.