Raj_Tayade's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

selfie and review activity along with the historic 52 gates

Last week we got together some Google Local Guides and undertook a selfie and review activity along with the historic 52 gates which are the pride of Aurangabad city. @om_mothe @DattaChoube @AjinkyaDeshpande @Ru_pali4 participated along with me. Everyone went in front of different gates took their selfie and checked and gave reviews according to the accessibility criteria.

Caption- : #1 Banner The Selfie With Gates ActivitiesCaption- : #1 Banner The Selfie With Gates Activities

The four principal entrances face the cardinal points and consist of the Delhi Gate in the north, the Jalna gate in the east, the Paithan Gate in the south, and the Makai Gate Mecca gate in the west.

Caption-: # 2 Our Selfie With GatesCaption-: # 2 Our Selfie With Gates

21 out of 52 gates remained in the city and 6 gates were closed

Besides these, there are the Buland, Dargha, Jaffar, Khirki, Barapul, Mahmud, Bhadkal, Chhota Bhadkal, Navkhanda, Khuni, Katkat, Naubat, Kala, Rangeen, Noor, and Roshan gates; as well as six others, now closed, the Khizri, Khadgar, Mada, Mir Adil, Chhoto Hathi and Kumhar.

The Gates of Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar distinguish it from several other medieval cities in India. Each of the 52 gates has a local history or has individuals linked with When Aurangzeb made Aurangabad his capital, 54 suburbs were walled in the city itself, the chief of these were Begumpura and Aurangpura.

Begumpura And Aurangpura It is still the busiest place

Caption-: # 3 Bhadkal GatesCaption-: # 3 Bhadkal Gates

Bhadkal Gate is very popular in Aurangabad town due to its old and massive structure constructed in the centre of the city on the south west of Naukhanda palace. This gate was used as the entrance gateway of the city. It is the biggest gate in the Deccan. The original name of this gate was Bharkul Darwaza meaning a large gate. The History of this gate tells the story of the Mughal Governor of Gujarat Abdullah Khan who attacked Nizam Shahi Kingdom, but was badly defeated by a brave general Malik Ambar in the Battle. The victory Gate (or Bhadkal gate) was probably raised on the place where the victory was sought. This gate is an independent gate raised on a high ground and is not attached or connected to wall of the Naukhanda palace. It is one of the largest and most remarkable gateways built in the Deccan. The technology of the construction of this gate is altogether different than other gates or buildings constructed in Aurangabad during those days. The scheme of ribbed vault,was first introduced in the construction of Bhadkal gate (1611 A. D) and this technique was later on used after fifteen years. In the construction of the world famous Gol Gumbaz of Bijapur (1627 A. D.) The ingenuity and variety of the ribbed vaulting in the Bhadkal gate is extraordinary. The whole mass of the roof is based on the eight vertical pillars. The central vault of the roof of the gate forms a square with the ends of the ribs meeting the centres of the sides of the square bay. The arch and groin ribs intersect each other by forming a star pattern at the apex of the dome. This massive structure was built in heavy blocks of black igneous rock, which were chiselled and arranged by the experienced hands of the Deccani artisans. The surface of the gate at one time must have been coated with lime plaster, which is not seen now except at the first floor of the gate. This gate building measures 62 ft. 3 inches by 60 ft. and the height is 62 ft. 5 inches.

Caption-: # 4 Delhi GatesCaption-: # 4 Delhi Gates

Delhi Gate is the one of the strategic gates of Aurangabad city which lies on 190 53' 38" N and 750 20 04" E. In Aurangabad city, it is located on the Major State Highway no. 8 which connects to Jalgaon Road. Dr. Salim Ali Lake is located towards the North eastern side of the Delhi Gate whereas the Divisional Commissioner's office is located towards the South eastern corner. Delhi Gate is the largest gate built by Aurangzeb. It is not only large in size but also appears attractive among all the gates built in the Deccan area so far. It is located towards the Delhi Town that is towards the north end of Aurangabad city. Through this gateway, Aurangzeb marched towards Delhi in rebellion against his father Shahjahan. After marching through the gate he encamped at Arsul (Harsul) in a sarai (now central Jail) and nearby area where he halted for ten days. Then he started from Aurangabad on 5th February 1658 to challenge the throne. In March 1666 Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj accompanied by Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj and a body of one thousand select troop marched to Agra on Aurangzeb's invitation through this gateway. The gate is a two storeyed structure. The façade which provides the main entrance into the city of Aurangabad faces north. It has two octagonal bastions on either of the sides and a pointed arch in between for entry and exit which encompasses another smaller pointed arch with a wooden door. The interior of the arch contains two small rectangular openings on the either side which posed as guardrooms. Above the parapet wall of the arch is a battlement with numerous entablatures. On the two sides of the main arch are two turrets that rise up till the top of the battlement. The bastions have rectangular gun points on the first storey followed by an octagonal battlement and eight pillared Chhatri with a domical ceiling terminating in a finial on top. The chhatri is adorn with a cusped arch

Caption-: # 5 Makai Gate (Mecca Gate)Caption-: # 5 Makai Gate (Mecca Gate)

Makai Gate In 1682 A.D., to protect the city of Aurangabad from the Maratha invasion, a fortification was built by the orders of Aurangazeb by his general Khan Bahadur. The western side of this fortification faced towards Mecca, the sacred place of the Muslims and hence the western gate of the fortification was named as Makai Gate or Makai Darwaza. The road through this gate also leads to Bibi Ka Maqbara. The gate is 38 feet in height and has huge bastions on both sides. Taking into consideration its Mughal style of architecture and historic value, this gate has been listed as a state-protected monument.

Caption-: #6 Rageen DarwazaCaption-: #6 Rageen Darwaza

Rangeen Darwaza is another stately gate that appears pompous and regal. It is positioned near the District Collector's residence, built in square black stones. On either side of the main gate are strong bastions that are decorated with nine blind arches in three rows. The sides of the main gate are ornamented with semi-arched blind windows. Above the main gate on either side is a simple and slender minaret with floral decoration. In the center are the usual battlements with embrasures. The interior ceiling of the gate in the center is supported by wooden rafters fixed vertically and horizontally. However the usual wooden gate is absent here. Probably the gate crumbled and was removed from the site. But the holes (hollows in which door is fixed) can be seen on either corners of the structure. On either side in the interior of the gate are platforms for guards supported originally by pilasters. The arches are four centered. Above this are two more rooms and there are steps leading to these rooms. The back side of the gate wall is decorated with semi-arched designs, On either side of the bastion are steps leading to the wall-walk on the top and the lower portion of the bastion has hollow arches where guards could stay. Above the bastion on either side are platforms for mounting cannons. The platforms are rounded. Why the gate is known as Rangeen Gate? There are different versions of this name. Most of the celebrations, and events used to be organized near this gate, and colorful firework was carried on, hence the name. While some claim that the gate was made of colored stones. Both these claims have no authenticity hence, the name Rangeen remains an enigma. Near this gate is the Subedari Guest House and the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Museum. This gate too was renovated and fenced and the interior was spruced up with lawns and decorative plants.

Caption-: #7 Roshan DarwazaCaption-: #7 Roshan Darwaza

Roshan Gate Roshan Gate  is located to the north of Jalna gate or Khas gate. It is bigger in size and stature as compared to Jalna gate. Roshan gate is said to have been named after Aurangezeb’s sister Roshanara to whom the emperor was much attached and she remained his favorite friend and advisor.

Caption-: #8 Kala DarwazaCaption-: #8 Kala Darwaza

Kala Darwaza  Kala Darwaza leads to the palace fort of Qila-e-Ark. The palace had its fortification walls and had five gates other than the Kaala Darwaza all gates are in ruins.

Caption-: #9 Paithan GateCaption-: #9 Paithan Gate

Paithan Gate  is smaller in size and was royal gateway leading to Paithan town. This gate is smaller in size compared to other gates.

Caption-: #10 Jafar GateCaption-: #10 Jafar GateCaption-: #11 Noor GateCaption-: #11 Noor GateCaption-: #12 Navkhanda Palace GateCaption-: #12 Navkhanda Palace GateCaption-: #13 Mahmud GateCaption-: #13 Mahmud Gate

Caption-: #14 Khuni DarwazaCaption-: #14 Khuni DarwazaCaption-: #15 Kala DarwazaCaption-: #15 Kala DarwazaCaption-: #16 Chhoto Bhadkal GateCaption-: #16 Chhoto Bhadkal GateCaption-: #17 Darga, Jalan, DaulatabadCaption-: #17 Darga, Jalan, DaulatabadCaption-: #18 Naubat DarwazaCaption-: #18 Naubat Darwaza

To all the Google Local Guides who participated in these activities, we sincerely appreciate that you all participated without worrying about the heat.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZBotJpAcjU74mXTJ8

@Tushar_Suradkar @TravellerG @ajitthite @Shrut19 @AjinkyaDeshpande @DattaChoube @om_mothe 

Raj_Tayade ||" Relationships are formed when you travel with your heart "||

My Map||My Insta||My Post Gallery

Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India
20 comments
Level 10

Re: selfie and review activity along with the historic 52 gates

नमस्कार,

@Raj_Tayade 

मीट अप यशस्वी झाल्या बद्दल अभिनंदन,

छान रिकॅप..

टॅग साठी व रीकॅप शेअर केल्याबद्दल धन्यवाद..

Level 8

@Raj_Tayade 

nice idea kamlakar ji . gate is the selfy point for you. nice

Connect Moderator

Wow! This was a nice activity to do in Aurangabad.

Congratulations dear @Raj_Tayade 

Also, to @om_mothe, @DattaChoube, and @AjinkyaDeshpande 

Nice to know that @Ru_pali4 also participated 👍

I remember Roshan gate had a road pass-through during the 1980s.

So many gates, that I was not even aware 😊

Next time, I will also try to participate.

Level 10

Firstly, thank you very much for tagging me in your valuable post, dear @Raj_Tayade ...

Congratulations!

A lot of hard work and dedication has gone into this post - highly appreciate!

Great RECAP... 

I couldn't read it completely... Will do it tomorrow.

The photos are really impressive. 

Once again thank you for sharing these details. 

Regards,

🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Nice meet-up all good tropics historical information selfie with reviews LG connect 

GOOGLE LOCAL GUIDES FROM INDIA & Connect reviews world  jitendra Kumar Mahendra Prasad
Level 8

@Shrut19 ताई धन्यवाद.....

ताई ही मिटअप नव्हती तर सर्वांना एकत्र घेऊन हा एक उप्रकम घेतला होता. उद्देश LG ना काहीतरी नवीन शिकता यावे म्हणून.... 

Level 8

Thank you so much @mohanghyar 😊

Level 8

Thank you so much @Tushar_Suradkar 😊