cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Another "First Ever" StreetView: Kourou and "Salvation Island"

Iles du Salut, French GuianaIles du Salut, French Guiana

Dear LGC friends,

my growing passion for creating StreetView experiences has led me to map, for the very first time ever, the "National Park of the Archipeloago of La Maddalena".

it's been a splendid journey that I'll be concluding this summer with the remaining island. Here the post I did to celebrate reaching one million views.

This winter presented me with an unexpected and special opportunity: a trip to French Guiana.

It was an incredible, fantastic 15 days. I was based in Kourou, home of the CNES (European Space Agency). I visited the Guiana Space Center, Cacao Village, the capital Cayenne, and Salvation Island, the famous islands that became a notorious prison and were made globally famous by the prisoner Henry Carriere when he published his memoir titled "Papillon", later become a quite popular movie .

You can reach "Salvation Island" in 45min by boat. The area consist of three island: Saint Joseph, Royale Island (that was the main prison) and Devil's Island that, unfortunately in closed to the public. 

Of course I couldn't resist the chances to capture these island trails and transform them into captiving StreetView experiences.

Here some trails at Saint Joseph island and at the Royale Island

But you can also have a walk in Kourou city and visit the Dreyfus Tower, used to radio communicate with the islands,  or visiting the many roads I mapped.

I'm eager for these StreetViews to not only enrich Google Maps but also inspire others to explore and document these stunning landscapes.

Hope you enjoy this new opportunity of a virtual toor.

Take care

Marco

PrisonPrisonCellCell

myslefmyslef

@ErmesT , @MortenCopenhagen , @JanVanHaver , @potaro67 , @Yotaroh , @HiroyukiTakisawa , @DeniGu , @shola 

TRAC Badge
10 comments
Level 10

Re: Another "First Ever" StreetView: Kourou and "Salvation Island"

Wonderful @MarcoDavoli, thank you for showing everybody this wonderful place. I'm glad you're having fun doing StreetView!

Cheers 

"It's the not the Destination, It's the Journey." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads

Level 10

Thank you Ciao  @MarcoDavoli for sharing  this adventurous post. I sincerely appreciate your passion and efforts in capturing the beauty of such remote areas 🤝. It’s truly wonderful.

Signature Image
Level 9

Betreff: Another "First Ever" StreetView: Kourou and "Salvation Island"

@MarcoDavoli 

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu dieser Leistung und eine interessante Geschichte dazu.

Nur vermisse ich am Ende des Beitrags, durch Ortseingabe, die Landkarte von Google Maps.

Zudem wenn ich mit dem Link verzweige werden mir dort keine Orte angezeigt und es wäre doch angebracht ihren Aufnahmen eine Heimat zu geben, durch hinzufügen der gezeigten Orte.

Connect Moderator

great work indeed @MarcoDavoli .. I have never heard of these places before and thanks to you for putting it on the map. Happy contributing!

Level 10

Amazing work, @MarcoDavoli, thank you for sharing with the world. Such a beautiful and lush island.

This is, by far, the best idea for a travel photo album. No more scrapbooks; you can re-walk the trip over and over.  

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

@JustJake ,

you are right. It is a great idea for a "Travel Album".

But what pleased me even more is knowing that my niece's colleagues (yeah, I accompanied my niece who moved to work in Kourou) still, to this day, send her screenshots of the trails of the islands they haven't visited yet.

Is also fun to wander around with a 3-meter stick and a camera.

Have you seen my shirt? The logo?

Enjoy the day

Ciao

Marco

TRAC Badge
Level 10

Thanks a lot @indahnuria ,

if you have the opportunity I warmly suggest you have a look a the movie "Papillon" with Steve McQueen, falsely convicted of murder in the 1930sa nd Dustin Hoffman, a counterfeiter. Together, they endure unimaginable hardships, forging a deep bond while planning multiple daring escape attempts. Their resilience in the face of adversity and unwavering determination to regain freedom highlight the indomitable human spirit. Through trials and tribulations, "Papillon" navigates a journey of survival, friendship, and the pursuit of liberty in a harsh and unforgiving environment.

Weeks before going there I looked again the movie and when I was there, when I was inside his cell (the one of the pictures.. at least is what they said) was really terrifying.

CIao

Marco

TRAC Badge
Level 10

Betreff: Another "First Ever" StreetView: Kourou and "Salvation Island"

Ohh.... @Annaelisa ,

I was not aware of this problem.

I'll check and try to fix or re-post.

thanks a lot for this!!!!

Ciao

Marco

TRAC Badge