TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

#KeralaArts - Velakali - PhotoWalk - A Martial Art form - A Rhythm-based Temple Dance - TravellerG

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform mePhoto #1; Caption: Velakali Artists posing for a shot for me

In Kerala (India), there are many performing art forms which depict its cultural heritage. Many of them are not very popular or popular only in some areas; one of them is ‘Velakali’ which is a traditional ‘Martial Art’ form which is a fight sequence. The Velakali is performed during temple festivals and is majorly presented by the Nair community.

Do you have any such Ancient/Rural Art forms? Can you share a shot of an art form you like? 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Photo #2; Caption: A portrait of a young artist holding a sword and shield.

The artists wear brightly coloured, exclusive costumes and will have a sword and shield in their hands. Though most of Kerala’s performing arts are accompanied by recital (vocal music) along with accompaniments, the Velakali is accompanied by drums, cymbals, and horns.

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform mePhoto #3; Caption: The Artist in full costume.

The history of this art is not very clear; but, today’s form of this art can be briefed as follows:

The Ambalapuzha was a ‘local country’ (much before the name Kerala). To boost the martial spirit among the young men, the ruler ordered his army chieftains Mathoor Panicker and Velloor Kurup to create a dance form of Martial Art. The Mathoor Panicker was a skilled warrior and an accomplished dancer - Velekali was born out of this and became very popular (in the 18th century). 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform mePhoto #4; Caption: A group of artists ready for the evening performance; captured with the temple structures in the bacckground.

Velakali was a dying art form but fortunately, recently most such ancient art forms are finding a lot of popularity. There are many other art forms, which we can discuss later.

Here is a 45-second VIDEO which gives you an overall idea of the Art & Temple Atmosphere; the art is performed in the presence of two elephants, too. (Unfortunately, this video was not captured on my mobile due to low power)

Note:
These photos & video were captured on 19th Feb 2024 in Sree Vallabha Swamy Temple, Thiruvalla, Kerala during the annual festival of this temple.

@Praniketmore @ShubhamWaman @Shubhu1 @Nachiket_methre @prashant_kyada @Raj_Tayade @RaviSharma111  @ShifaAymal @Ru_pali4 @bhayani_naitik

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

35 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: #KeralaArts - Velakali - PhotoWalk - A Martial Art form - A Rhythm-based Temple Dance - Travelle

Dance, martial arts, and music are a unique combination I haven't seen elsewhere.

Your photos highlight this amazing tradition in a spectacular fashion @TravellerG 👍

Velakali is truly entertaining. Watching the video now...

[UPDATE after watching the video]

The decorations on the elephants are majestic and done with so much passion and care.

The creates must be feeling special too.

The atmosphere seems highly charged and energetic in the video.

Any reason why this is held after sunset?

Level 10

Re: #KeralaArts - Velakali - PhotoWalk - A Martial Art form - A Rhythm-based Temple Dance - Travelle

Firstly, I thank you very, very much for your quick and valuable response, my dear @Tushar_Suradkar,

I'm very happy that you enjoyed the post!

I shall add some more posts about such art forms, which are very rare; also the decorations & costumes of elephants which are very interesting!

"Any reason why this is held after sunset?"

The Velakali is performed during the day time also; however, for the lighting effect, it is presented in the night when the "Temple Deity" is present over the elephant, which is also a part of the ritual.

Hope, I have explained it in full.

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 9

Betreff: #KeralaArts - Velakali - PhotoWalk - A Martial Art form - A Rhythm-based Temple Dance - Tra

Lieber Freund @TravellerG 

Du hast fantastische Bilder dieser Tänzer zugefügt und das ganze sehr gut erklärt.

Auch das Video gefällt mir gut.👍

Level 8

Wonderful post with wonderful photos @TravellerG sir. It is nice to gain new things from your post. Photos are best as always. Thanks for sharing.

Photographer & Trekker
#LocalGuideOfIndia

My Insta
My WhatsApp Channel
Level 8

Ulala!!!!! Que fotos magnificas @TravellerG ! O colorido das roupas, a música e as luzinhas do templo traz uma alegria contagiante. 

Minhas saudações de muita luz e algria na sua vida. Ótima semana!

Level 8

This is a superb post @TravellerG sir , well described, and the images are amazing. The lads from the Nair community are dressed fabulously, and the colors are bold and attractive. Thanks for sharing such unique and tradition. 

Praniket More || " Having a hobby is sweet for your psychological state – Chanakya " ||

My Insta||My Post Gallery|| Hex sticker design competition winner

Connect Moderator

It sounds like Velakali is a really interesting art form.

The costumes and music must make it a very exciting performance to watch! @TravellerG 

Thank you so much for sharing this cultural heritage with us.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 7

Costume makeup every thing is just perfect.

The music played by drums and other instruments is so soothing. 

Looks like elephant are also enjoying it.

Thanks @TravellerG for showing this old tradition which is still kept alive.

Wonder how much practice they did for it.

Level 10

Yes, you are right, elephants also enjoy a lot... And the overall environment with the temple lights, drums, etc makes a hypnotic effect!

You need to be physically present to be enjoying in actually visit of the moment. 

Thank you very much for your detail to comment, dear friend @Ru_pali4 

Hope to see contributions from you also...

🤝❤️🌷