AZ_2021's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Encore, Encore- Mogollon Rim

Late November, I was on my way to Mogollon Rim Visitor Center in Payson, Arizona. My small car sputtered weakly up the incline of Highway 260 as a tailgating truck impatiently roared by. Another blur of wheels and steel as more cars anxiously zoomed ahead. 

15 minutes before sunset, I reached my destination: a point where the road turned off into a concrete lot. I walked out to the wooden observation deck overseeing the Mogollon Rim- a 200 mile shelf with steep drop offs of 2,000 ft where I was (Source: VisitArizona). It was 35° F(1.6°C).  A  small group came and left just as quickly, their shivering whispers punctuating the air with white puffs. 

Now, I was left as a lone audience member, watching the sunset scenery unfold in front- the  soft orange glow softening the rough edges of the rugged mountains and sharp pine needles. 

Sunset at the rimSunset at the rim

Slowly, the sky darkened- the stage’s curtains coming down. Encore, encore- I clamored in my mind. Not ready for the show to end, I went back to see more of Mogollon Rim the next day. This time, I stopped at Rim Lakes Vista Overlook and took the approximate 2 hour long out-and-back accessible paved trail. 

Golden leaves hung from deciduous trees, while patches of snow lightly coated the ground; nature torn between autumn and winter- its two lovers.  A leaf fell as I walked, tumbling in the air, reluctant to let go. 

Left to right: Rim Lakes Vista, snow patches, trailhead sign, and the trailLeft to right: Rim Lakes Vista, snow patches, trailhead sign, and the trail

On my way back, I held my phone out to check the time, but with the battery exhausted, the screen was black. I was greeted by a not-so-flattering reflection of my double chin. I grimaced discontentedly. To counteract, I tilted my head back, as if somehow it would stretch away the extra padding. 

It was then I saw it - an upside down rainbow. Never had I seen a rainbow flipped around, as if smiling back at me and reminding me to smile. I wanted to preserve this moment. By some miracle, I was able to power on my phone for a millisecond to capture a photo of that joyful rainbow- freezing that frame in time so I could come back to it again and again. Afterwards, I just stood there for minutes, looking up and smiling back. 

Circumzenithal arc (upside down rainbow)Circumzenithal arc (upside down rainbow)

Payson, AZ, USA
20 comments
Level 6

Re: Encore, Encore- Mogollon Rim

Życzę Tobie by radość i satysfakcja. Jaką czułeś gdy w takich okolicznościach uwieczniłeś tą piękną i wyjątkową chwilę. Nie opuszczały Cię nawet nawet na chwilę.

Level 10

Aw thank you so much @Joyek. I felt happy being able to see and capture the unique rainbow and the beautiful sunset. 💖 Afterwards, I felt much more calm as well on the drive back home. 😊

Level 9

Wow what a beautiful sunset @AZ_2021 pic. I have been to this Mogollon rim and it feels so amazing here. Just so many trees as far as you can see and then mountains far away that looks like a painting in itself. Thanks for sharing.

Keep Guiding!

Anitha Muthu
Level 10

@AZ_2021  Thank you for sharing beautiful photos and experience in Rim Lakes Vista.  The photos sunset and upside down rainbow 🌈 are stunning.

Signature Image
Level 9

Betreff: Encore, Encore- Mogollon Rim

@AZ_2021 Ein unterhaltsamer Bericht mit besonderen Bildern und Effekt 

Level 8

Wow, wonderful photograph @AZ_2021 

Your photography skill is really excellent.

Thank you

Connect Moderator

The inverted smiling rainbow 🌈 is unseen and unheard @AZ_2021 wonderful photo 👍

Level 9

@AZ_2021,

Your photos are wonderful! You have such a gift for writing. The combination is always fun and compelling. 

Thank you for your posts. 

Alfred New
TRAC Badge
Level 10

Thank you @Tushar_Suradkar. I agree- such a rare sight. When I researched it online, I read that it's caused by ice crystals around the sun. 😯 I was amazed to learn of it and see it. 💙 🌈