SergeySud's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Exploring Russia. Uglich

After almost a day of sailing along the Moscow Canal (welcome to read my previous post) and the Upper Volga, our ship is moored to the pier of Uglich. Uglich (Russian: Углич) is a historic town in Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia, located on the Volga River.

Alexander Benois ship at the pier in UglichAlexander Benois ship at the pier in Uglich

It is an ancient town with more than a thousand years of history. But the most significant historical events for entire Russia took place here in the 16th century. During the reign of Ivan the Terrible, the town passed to his only brother, Yury. After the death of Ivan the Terrible in 1584, his youngest son Dmitry was banished with his mother to Uglich.

So the most well-known event took place on May 15, 1591, when the 10-year-old Tsarevich (prince) Dmitry was found dead with his throat cut in the palace courtyard. Official investigators concluded that Dimitriy's death was an accident, but disputes and versions about the death of the young prince are still ongoing. As Dmitry was the last scion of the ancient Rurik Dynasty, his death caused the 15 years long of dynastic and political crisis known as the Time of Troubles. People believed that Dmitry was alive and supported at least three False Dmitrys, who each tried to grab the Muscovite throne.

In 1606 Dmitry was canonized and Uglich was designated as a place of pilgrimage. On the spot where Dimitry was thought to have been murdered, the Church of St. Demetrios on the Blood was built.

The Church of St. Demetrios on the Blood. Uglich, RussiaThe Church of St. Demetrios on the Blood. Uglich, Russia

Its red walls and blue domes are visible as travelers go north on the Volga.

The Church of St. Demetrios on the Blood and the Church of the Transfiguration. The view from river side.The Church of St. Demetrios on the Blood and the Church of the Transfiguration. The view from river side.

The image of Dimitry with a knife in his hand was adopted as the town's coat of arms.

Coat of Arms of Uglich (This work is not an object of copyright according to article 1259 of Book IV of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation).Coat of Arms of Uglich (This work is not an object of copyright according to article 1259 of Book IV of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation).

The church of the St. Demetrios is decorated with interesting frescoes. But another church in the neighborhood, the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord and the Praise of the Most Holy Theotokos, has unique 3D frescoes. It's create a false sense of a huge space.

The 3D frescoes in the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord and the Praise of the Most Holy TheotokosThe 3D frescoes in the Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord and the Praise of the Most Holy Theotokos

Usually, a visit to Uglich with a short excursion is limited to a visit to the Uglich Kremlin, but the Kremlin itself is long gone - it was made of wood and was dismantled long ago. On the territory of the Kremlin there are several churches, museums, a monument to the young tsarevich Dmitry.

The Uglich hydroelectric power station is located within the town borders.

The Uglich hydroelectric power station. Uglich, RussiaThe Uglich hydroelectric power station. Uglich, Russia

The Central Museum of the History of Hydropower of Russia is located in one of the buildings of the Uglich Hydroelectric Power Station. The exposition is dedicated to the history of hydropower development in Russia. In 11 halls of the museum, there is an exposition about the history of the development of hydropower in the USSR and Russia, the generation and transmission of electricity, the construction and construction of hydroelectric power plants, as well as the hydro resources of the Earth. I am an electrical engineer, and I really wanted to visit this museum. Unfortunately, I had to choose - the Kremlin or the Hydropower Museum, so I didn't visit it, but there is a reason to visit Uglich again.

Interesting fact:
The "All-Russian Research Institute of Butter and Cheese Making" located in Uglich.

What to buy in Uglich:
In Uglich you can buy smoked and dried fish and local cheeses.
Uglich is also known for its production of clocks and watches.

What to see in Uglich:

Uglich is one of the cities of the Golden Ring of Russia, is often visited by tourists. The town has preserved numerous examples of traditional Russian architecture. You can see the museums and churches, several active Orthodox monasteries, Museum of the History of Hydropower.

I hope you enjoyed my story about the places I visited during the cruise. 
Tag for @LuigiZ @MahabubMunna @helga19 @TorM 
@ErmesT @KseniaM 

Углич, Ярославская область, Россия
11 comments
Level 9

Re: Exploring Russia. Uglich

Oh my goodness, this post is so beautiful!!!! Are you currently on a cruise? I thought cruise lines are closed until Further notice. @SergeySud 

Connect Moderator

Hi @SergeySud,

thank you for tagging me here, yes I really enjoyed reading your post!

Uglich is a very nice city and I wish to visit it once since, although have travelled a lot, but never been to Russia, yet 😊. I love all your pictures, they are very nice and showing the local architecture which is very unique to see. Interesting also the story of Dimitri and the facts about the city.

Thank you for letting us know more about this beautiful city.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Connect Moderator

Hello @SergeySud ,

wow, very nice post. Long time ago I have been in Russia. A country full of history, interesting architecture and outstanding friendly people who know how to make party.

I wasn’t aware that north of Moskau you have this beautiful area.

Thank you for tagging. I like your post very much.

Regards from Germany 🇩🇪 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 10

Hi @Ewaade_3A !

I returned from the cruise 3 days ago. River cruises in Russia are not closed. However, each region determines the restrictions, depending on the situation with the coronavirus. Not all regions of Russia accept tourists on cruise ships. For example, the program of my cruise included a visit to the town of Plyos. This town is ranked four in terms of the most visited small towns in Russia and ranks first in the country in terms of the number of tourists per inhabitant. However, the regional administration did not open the tourist season. Therefore, the ship changed its route and we didn't stop in this town.

Level 9

Wow, you are really enjoying. @SergeySud 

Level 10

Hi @SergeySud 

Wonderful post myvdear!

It was an exciting traveling by a cruise! Beautiful views and all photos are stunning too

Thanks for sharing with us!

Have a great day!🌻

Here is my recent posts for you! 

MD MAHBUB HYDER
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's good to meet you @SergeySud 

Thank you for sharing this lovely post. I have always had an interest in old Russian history.

Level 10

Connect Moderator

Thanks for tagging me, @SergeySud 

The post is amazing and so is the description of Uglich 

I didn't had the opportunity to travel to Russia yet, but this is indeed something I want to do in the next years, so I am starting to bookmark your posts, and I can't wait to read the next episodes