EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Global Accessibility Awareness Day - GAAD 2024

15_20240516_105055_0014.png

Caption: Poster showing One Accessibility logo and the words Global Accessibility Awareness Day GAAD 2024 all on yellow background.

As the world celebrates the 13th Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD), let us look back and see how far we have gone. What progress has been made and what more needs to be done.

Global Accessibility Awareness Day is commemorated on every 
third Thursday of May.

"The purpose of GAAD is to get everyone talking, thinking and learning about digital access/inclusion and people with different disabilities."

Within the Local Guides community, I can say that there has been significant progress on accessibility awareness and we have seen more accessibility champions over the years. 

IMG_20200517_115721_244.png

Caption: Poster showing GAAD Cofounder -Joe Devon and One Accessibility team (Emeka and Jessica) for our first GAAD meetup in 2020

2_20240516_105054_0001.png

Caption: Poster showing GAAD Cofounder Jennison Asuncion as our special guest in 2021

One Accessibility Initiative has helped in spreading awareness through writing posts, meet-ups webinars, and engaging decision makers. We have invited GAAD founders Joe Devon and Asuncion to our meetups in the past.

Local Guides have contributed immensely to Google Maps making it more helpful and useful for persons with disabilities. Over 3 billion accessibility information on maps is no mean feat!

Yet we could do more in our communities to make the world more inclusive for everyone. 

What are you doing to remove barriers for persons with disabilities? Do you add accessibility information on maps?

Owerri, Nigeria
14 comments
Level 8

Re: Global Accessibility Awareness Day - GAAD 2024

@EmekaUlor he cambiado mucho de hacer reseñas de lugares más con accesibilidad ya que tenemos la fortuna de tener a @Jesi donde todo el tiempo nos está guiando para destacar este ítem . Todo el tiempo estamos aprendiendo a mejorar 👍. Saludos.

Connect Moderator

Thank you @Maximilianozalazar 

I am glad to hear that you contribute to  accessibility. Keep it up! 

Level 8

Count me dear moderator @EmekaUlor & share me the meet link.

shailendraOjha

▶️
https://youtube.com/@googleguide_shailen13
Level 7

Looking forward to these conversations 

Level 8

@EmekaUlor Great!!! Will be part of it .

Level 8

“I recently went to Nashik for a meetup. After the meetup, as I was heading back home, I saw the beautiful Accessibility of the bus stand in Nashik. It made me very happy to see it all and I mentioned in my review”

@EmekaUlor  Please Check 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8CqUHpDYXfs9J22P7

Raj_Tayade ||" Relationships are formed when you travel with your heart "||

My Map||My Insta||My Post Gallery

Connect Moderator

@Raj_Tayade this is interesting and thank you for sharing your observation. 

@Ebuka @UdokaObis @ShailendraOjha looking forward to seeing you at our next meet-ups. 

Level 10

Indeed we caan do more interms of spreading the word. Well done @EmekaUlor for all the beautiful initiatives you have come up with especially the one accessibility initiative.

I was excited to get a local guides email yesterday informing that there's over 3Billion+ accessibility contributions to google map. No doubt my accessibility contributions were also counted and this should be a thing of joy and as well spark the fire to do even more.

For me its been no accessibility information, no review. That is to say, if I have to leave a review on a place, I must include an information on accessibility. 

Level 9

Betreff: Global Accessibility Awareness Day - GAAD 2024

@EmekaUlor 

Ich habe bisher die EMOJI zur Barrierefreiheit nicht verwendet weil Google Maps bei den Übersichten zu Unternehmen es in schriftlicher Form darstellt, ebenso auf den Info Seiten 

In Zukunft werde ich das Emoji aber immer zusätzlich einfügen.