cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Home made poha

IMG_20210519_190005.jpg

Abou poha

 Poha is flattened rice that is steam cooked with onions, spices and herbs. The word 66 "poha" refers to the flattened rice itself and as well the dish made with it. These flattened rice flakes are also known as parched rice or beaten rice. They are considered to be nutritious & wholesome as they are got by minimally processing paddy. So flattened rice is used widely across India to make various dishes like chivda, upma, dosa, idli and many more. Among the most commonly eaten is this dish POHA. It is eaten for breakfast, snack & even for a quick dinner. It can also be taken to school or work in lunch box. This simple dish does not need any accompaniment. But it is usually garnished and topped with various ingredients like sev, raw onions or fresh coconut. 

About the recipe

The first one is the Maharashtrian Kanda batata poha recipe which we make often for our breakfast. Here Kanda translates to onions and Batata to potato in Marathi. So this one is made with onions and potatoes. You can use both or skip any one of them. Or replace potatoes with some green peas. I prefer to use potatoes as my kids love them in their poha. You can either use boiled/ steamed potatoes or use them raw directly and cook in the pan. I have followed the later method here. But if you have trouble cooking your potatoes quickly, then it is good to use them boiled. The second recipe is for dadpe pohe which is more common in the Konkan region. This recipe needs fresh coconut and is quick to make like the first one. I have been making this in the recent times for a change. Another popular version is the Indori poha which I am yet to share. The use of fennel seeds make it very distinct in flavor from the Maharashtrian version. It is garnished the same way with sev & raw onions.

Surat, Gujarat, India
3 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Home made poha

Hi @Mukund_hirpara_ thanks for sharing about Poha, please always write your post in your own words. A lot of the text of this post seems to come from web sites.  One of our Core Values is Originality. Please read How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect? Your own words and images are so much more powerful.

What is your favourite version of Poha?

Paul

Connect Moderator

Hi @Mukund_hirpara_ 

Welcome to Connect 🤝 and thank you for sharing nice pics of Poha and the recipe.

As suggested by Paul, please edit the article and describe Poha and also its recipe in your own words.

Connect is meant for connecting with local guides and sharing experiences that are our own.

Nothing borrowed from outside should be included.

Also, I invite you to introduce yourself to the local guides community and get to know other local guides by commenting on this post.

Level 3

@Mukund_hirpara_ спасибо что поделились, очень интересно