AdrianLunsong's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

How to create a hex sticker for community events!

Caption: A colourful image comprising of multiple hex shaped designs with the title "hex sticker design" at the top.Caption: A colourful image comprising of multiple hex shaped designs with the title "hex sticker design" at the top.

Hey Local Guides! I wanted to share a project and an idea that I’ve been working on for a few months. As the title suggests, I have a sticker design (adopted from the internet) that I would like to see other communities use as well, in hopes that one day, if we meet each other, we can do a sticker swap! 😍

The concept:

• A standardised hex shaped sticker that is 2 inches tall and 1.73 inches wide. See further below for the shape.
  • Due to the hex shape, you can easily lay the stickers out in a beehive like arrangement. A square shape would also work but I guess a hex shape looks cooler, perhaps!
  • Give the hex stickers to your event attendees as a souvenir/memento for attending the event. You can also treat it like ‘badges’ that regular attendees can collect and this would be ideal for annual events such as the Bangladesh’s Local Guides Community 10th Year Anniversary meet-up!
  • If more folks adopt this for their own Local Guides events, it would make for a great sticker swap too!

For me, I’ve been creating stickers to promote the Local Guides centric YouTube channel, Go Loco Guides, and also the special Connect Moderators event in Tokyo, Japan last year. Unsurprisingly, attendees to the upcoming #EuroMeetup2024 event in Manchester (6-9 June 2024) can expect a sticker too!

Caption: On the left is a diagram showing the dimensions for the hex sticker. On the right is an example of how various different hex stickers can stack upCaption: On the left is a diagram showing the dimensions for the hex sticker. On the right is an example of how various different hex stickers can stack up

Anyway, you can read this blog post by Diginate (a printing company) talking about hex stickers. I can’t be sure but their post came out after I placed an order with them so I’m glad to see that they are fully behind the concept as well. 😅

And you can also download templates from StickerMule (another printing company). Their templates show the cut lines and the printing areas (in various sizes) so that your final sticker will have an edge to edge print. Basically, your sticker design should bleed out past the cut lines so that you don’t get unsightly white edges; see example below.

Caption: On the left is the original sticker design for #EuroMeetup2024. The sticker design has numerous elements; a bee, the text "eh up", the event logo comprising of the text "Madchester 6-9 June '24". And the design uses many bright colours. On the right is an image of the same design but with bleed through colours so that when the sticker is cut out, there are no white edges.Caption: On the left is the original sticker design for #EuroMeetup2024. The sticker design has numerous elements; a bee, the text "eh up", the event logo comprising of the text "Madchester 6-9 June '24". And the design uses many bright colours. On the right is an image of the same design but with bleed through colours so that when the sticker is cut out, there are no white edges.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments below! And the next time you’re hosting a big event for your community, perhaps consider creating a hex sticker! 😊

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Manchester, UK
8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to create a hex sticker for community events!

This is mind-blowing @AdrianLunsong

I love the hex sticker idea and will create one for my next meetup 👍

Level 10

I absolutely love this idea! ❤️

Level 10

This is such a rad idea @AdrianLunsong

I want to make sure @Designer_Biswajit with #BDLG and @LightRich from #teamtacos check this out, as they've got some of the coolest swag for their local groups.

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

Hi @JustJake 

Thanks for mentioned me with this great post. Yes, I will try to design some hex sticker.

Thanks @AdrianLunsong for sharing this idea. 

Biswajit Chakraborty, Greetings from Dhaka-Bangladesh
Connect Moderator

Thanks @Tushar_Suradkar @SamanthaSheehy @JustJake @Designer_Biswajit 

Glad you all like the idea! 😊 Also, I just realised that there's nothing to stop us from swapping virtual community stickers too! I guess the event stickers could be more exclusive i.e. only for those who attend but stickers that represent communities can be shared around. So here are the generic Go Loco Guides stickers that you all and the wider community can collect! I don't actually have a sticker for the Manchester community because I've been focused on event specific stickers recently. 😅 But I'll try and rectify that soon.. 

These are 600px (tall) by 519px (wide) images which should correspond to 2" by 1.73". 

Feel free to create and share your community stickers in the replies to this post too! 😎

Caption: Virtual sticker for Go Loco Guides (blue version)Caption: Virtual sticker for Go Loco Guides (blue version)

Caption: Virtual sticker for Go Loco Guides (green version)Caption: Virtual sticker for Go Loco Guides (green version)

Caption: Virtual sticker for Go Loco Guides (orange version)Caption: Virtual sticker for Go Loco Guides (orange version)

Caption: Virtual sticker for Go Loco Guides (white version)Caption: Virtual sticker for Go Loco Guides (white version)

#EuroMeetup2024 - Join us in Manchester, UK from June 6th to 9th 2024
      Go Loco Guides - The unofficial YouTube channel for Local Guides! Check us out and subscribe
      Connect Writing Challenge - Simple strategies to write engaging posts on Connect
      How to Write Reviews - Easy to remember tips on writing structured reviews
Level 8

Cool idea @AdrianLunsong 

Iam already loving this concept

Thanks for the detailed post❤

Level 10

Amazing tutorial @AdrianLunsong! 💖 Your diagram was so helpful to visualize and I also really liked the templates link you shared! This is such a wonderful idea.

Also, you articles are not only informative but they are also such a treat to my eyes as well. You have such a talent for making the UX of your articles flow so neatly with the perfect graphically designed banners and juxtaposition of text and supporting images. 👩‍❤️‍👨 Thank you again for taking time to make this!

Level 8

Hex stickers are marvellous. And the whole idea of compatible badges is super smart, @AdrianLunsong !