cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

It's Movember Month.

Movember moustacheMovember moustache

What is Movember? 

As a reminder November is also Movember where men all over the world grow a mustache to raise awareness and support and funds for Prostate Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Mental health and Suicide prevention in men. In more than 20 countries across the world there are men that are doing this to help.

It had humble beginnings in Australia in 1999 by a small number of men and now has grown worldwide.

Since its inception, the Movember Foundation has raised $837 million and funded over 1,200 projects in more than 20 countries according to Wikipedia. 

Some of the countries that I am aware of that participate are  

Australia, Brazil, Canada ,Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Ireland, Israel, Kuwait, New Zealand, Spain, South Africa, Taiwan, The UK and the USA.

Do they do this or support this in your area?

Why am I so supportive of this Cancer Awareness program? Please let me share my story.

Last week I spent over 7 hours in the operating and recovery area of Lakeridge Health Hospital Oshawa Canada. Shout out to my Doctor here and her wonderful caring staff.

Terry at the end of a long day.Terry at the end of a long day.

I was Diagnosed 17 years ago with Prostate Cancer and I have been on a watch and wait program with a PSA test twice a year and a Biopsy every 3-4 years. It was in a small area of my prostate , but after 17 years it spread more in the prostate. So rather than have it spread to the rest of my body a decision was made to get rid of it.

I have now  had my first day of Brachytherapy Radiation. I still have 15 more radiation treatment days to go in the next 30 days.

I am sharing this post as a reminder to all my male friends, colleagues and Local Google Guides, especially those over the age of 45, to get tested. To my Female friends and Guides, please encourage your partners, brothers, dads, uncles and friends to get tested. It's a simple PSA blood test that you doctors can prescribe.

Some interesting facts:

• In Canada 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with Prostate  Cancer.
  • Over 90% of men survive with early detection.
  • 98 % of diagnosed men with Prostate Cancer are over 50.

So please get tested Cancer can be beaten with early detection.

GET TESTED

Oshawa, ON, Canada
35 comments
Level 9

Betreff: It's Movember Month.

@TerryPG 

Von Herzen alles Gute für diese schwierige Zeit 

Level 9

Re: It's Movember Month.

@TerryPG,

Hope everything goes well for you. 

I'm a 13 year plus surviver myself. With my family history it wasn't a question of if but when it would show up. Regular PSA tests are life saving. I have a mustache year round, but support the initiative. 

Alfred New
TRAC Badge
Level 7

Thank you for sharing this reminder to all men @TerryPG 

I'm definitely one of those typical men that doesn't regularly go to the doctor and I will take this reminder to heart and act upon it. 🤗

All of my best to you through this time. You're a fighter, cancer wasn't thinking when it chose this battle! You'll be in my thoughts and I'll be sending many good vibes for comfort, strength & healing. 🤘🏽

Level 10

@TerryPG Thank you for bringing this important information to all of us. And we wish you the best for a speedy treatment and recovery.

I participated in my first Movember in 2012 when I suggested our company get involved. Only 2 of our 35 employees were men. We got 100% participation (Technically 117%, as some waxings were skipped in solidarity 😂).

Caption: Movember 2012, Quite disappointed with our growth progress as of the end of the monthCaption: Movember 2012, Quite disappointed with our growth progress as of the end of the month

Now, I make sure my kids get involved.

Caption:  Mini JustJake not quite landing Movember, but still displaying a very likely future outcomeCaption: Mini JustJake not quite landing Movember, but still displaying a very likely future outcome

Another global event that occurs mid-year is the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride. This motorcycle rally raises funds for the Movember Foundation as well as brings awareness to men's mental health issues.

We're with you, @TerryPG! Stay strong, Sir. 

JustJake TRAC Badge
Level 10

Betreff: It's Movember Month.

Level 10

Thank you @Rednewt74  This confirms that early detection of Cancer probably will stop any further growth. Congrats on beating Cancer. Thanks for being a friend here Rednewt.

Level 10

Thank you @Mikeinthefalls  and for being a friend here. This post is not so much about me as it is me trying to get people especially men to recognize the importance of getting tested. You have just made my day. 

Level 10

Thanks for being a friend here @JustJake  . I love the look of mini Just Jake. Indeed there are many events yearly and worldwide to help men and women fight Cancer.

Level 7

@TerryPG sending you all the good vibes and prayers as you recover. Taking care of ourselves is often so easy to overlook but so so important. Here's to a smooth recovery