Gezendunyali's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Life saving lists

45A68270-D128-459C-8998-7C5A24FF9EFD.jpeg

hello friends, I am with you with a new and different article. You know that there was an earthquake that affected many regions in my country a short time ago. In this process, I knew that people needed many things. A lot of help was coming from many countries, from different parts of our country.

meanwhile, it was very difficult for people to find help because communication was a problem. If anyone has lived before, it's a pretty complicated process.

powerbank, water, accommodation. they all come for help, but most people did not know where to get them from people.

it occurred to me to use maps here. how?  There were many points that distributed these aids. We immediately created a list about them. For example, the places where powerbank was distributed. We marked them on the map and made them a list. And we shared them with people through social media accounts and applications such as WhatsApp. You could see. This made our job a lot easier.

As a local guide, I never thought that I would use maps for such a purpose. The google maps I used to travel and discover new dishes suddenly turned into a life-saving application. Yes, natural disasters happen all over the world. If you encounter such a thing one day, you can use this process. I hope no one encounters such a situation.

To a better world

11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Life saving lists

Hello @Gezendunyali 

Kudos to a guiding star lighting up the way for others to get help.

That's very smart of you really. I haven't been in that situation before but I can imagine somehow the way everything is all messed up.

Keep the guiding star light shinning. Be a star to help others find their way and help. You will get 15 points for the list too😅

Happy guiding and mapping 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 10

Ynt: Life saving lists

Hi @SholaIB thanks fot comment. hard times sometimes produce better ideas. we have removed the lists now. I guess the points will be deleted. It doesn't matter anyway

Connect Moderator

@Gezendunyali 

Necessity is the father of inventions they say in  English.

Oh yes. It doesn't matter anyway point or no points. It served the purpose it was meant to serve. Wonder should it have been left for future references !

At level 10 what more? 😅

Happy guiding 

Cheers 

Liberia, Love of Liberty brought us here

Proudly Nigerian but loves Ghana.

Warm greetings from W.Africa.

New on Connect? Please see my welcome-card

Selected Connect posts: My local guide lamp | Nigerian Digital History Museum | West-African dishes | Gwarimpa/Abuja Food Crawl | My first post on Connect | I'm a community builder |Find all my Connect posts here

TRAC Badge
TRAC Badge
Level 10

You right ☺️👍🏻 @SholaIB 

Connect Moderator

@Gezendunyali

Fantastic!  Thanks for sharing this.

May I ask why you used liars and not My Maps? 

Lists can "hold" existing pins only while My Maps can "hold" places beyond existing pins. And you can add notes and select your own icons.

Cheers 

Morten 

Level 10

Thank you @MortenCopenhagen The purpose was to add it quickly. And we constantly updated it. For example, I made a needs list. Another friend of mine shared another list. And we shared the link immediately. I think the most important thing for us was to be fast. And when we were done, we removed the list.🙏🏻

Connect Moderator

Sorry to keep asking, @Gezendunyali.

Could you exemplify how you used a Google Maps list to share needs?

Are you adding villages and then use the notes to specify the needs? 

In this post @ErmesT elaborated how he used Google Maps. 

All the best 

Morten 

Level 8

এত কঠিন সময়ে মাথা ঠান্ডা রেখে এরকম উদ্দ্যেগ নিসন্দেহে প্রসংশনীয় সাধুবাদ জানাই @Gezendunyali 

Mohammad Palash, Bangladesh Local Guide

Read my recents Post Here

Connect Moderator

Great choice @Gezendunyali 

Lists are quick to share.

If I can add a tip I suggest you to keep the lists alive, and just to keep them updated, including flagging as "done" what has been already delivered, moving them on the bottom of the list.

This will help people who wants to help to know what has been done already.

Also, instead of creating multiple lists, you can add a trusted editor, to make possible to have everything in the same list. This will avoid duplication.

When I moved in central Italy with a van full of goods, I was organised the people who wanted to donate exactly following a list delivered to me, but as more people was trying to help, they had an excess of some item and a lack of others.

Unfortunately many people will remain in needs for a long time. Some will be moved on another part of the country, but for farmers, especially if they have animals, they don't want to move, they wants a temporary place where to stay near to where they are, and this is perfectly understandable, so keeping a list alive could help.

A big hug from Italy