katydarhel's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

#TeamBelarus, The 7 wonders of Viciebsk

Hi LGs!!!

My post is a response to #TeamChallenge  'Showcase your country' by @ermest from #TeamBelarus.

My story is about Viciebsk, which is considered the cultural capital of Belarus due to the annual festival "Slavianski bazaar in Vitebsk", a strong art school and its greatest representative, the world-famous avant-garde artist Marc Chagall. Honestly, the sights of this city I could not fit in 5 points, as I did before, but increased to 7. Well, let's get acquainted with the 7 wonders of Viciebsk. So let's go !!!

1. Number one on my list wonders of Viciebsk is Uśpienski sabor. The history of this church ins't simple. Uśpienski sabor was built in 1777 on the model of San Carlo al Corso in Rome. In 1936 the church was destroyed and completely recreated in 2010. In my personal opinion, after the construction of this church, Viciebsk changed and acquired its unique image. Uśpienski sabor is an architectural dominant and together with Viciebskaja ratuša and Śviata-Vaskrasienskaja carkva make up a unique Baroque architectural ensemble.Uśpienski saborUśpienski saborUśpienski saborUśpienski sabor
  2. Number two on my list wonders of Viciebsk is already mentioned Viciebskaja ratuša. This building is a symbol of the independence and prosperity of Viciebsk, because they built the town hall only in the city that had the Magdeburg Law. There were the fire tower, court, bank, police department in Viciebskaja ratuša at different times. At the moment,  in the town hall the local history museum is located.Viciebskaja ratušaViciebskaja ratuša

Viciebskaja ratušaViciebskaja ratuša

3. The next sight on my list is Śviata-Vaskrasienskaja carkva. It was also destroyed in 1936 and rebuilt in 2008 modeled on the church of the 18th century. I especially like the domes of the church of an unusual shape.
    Śviata-Vaskrasienskaja carkvaŚviata-Vaskrasienskaja carkva

Śviata-Vaskrasienskaja carkvaŚviata-Vaskrasienskaja carkva

4. Another wonder of Viciebsk is Kaścioł Śviatoj Barbary. This is a baroque catholic church of 1785. In 1884-1885, the church was rebuilt in the Neo-Romanesque style. In 1935 this church was closed, the building was used as a warehouse, after the Second World War the church was destroyed. Only in the 90s of the 20th century Kaścioł Śviatoj Barbary was returned to the parishioners. This church is just a find among the urban landscape, especially when you consider that most of the churches are Orthodox. On Sundays, organ music concerts are held at Kaścioł Śviatoj Barbary.
    Kaścioł Śviatoj BarbaryKaścioł Śviatoj Barbary

Kaścioł Śviatoj BarbaryKaścioł Śviatoj Barbary

5. We turn to the fifth wonder of Viciebsk, which is simply impossible not to mention. This is the Marc Chagall museum. Marc Chagall was born not in this house, but in another. Parents moved here when Marc was 13 years old. The first drawings Chagall began to draw here. The house is original, but the furniture and interior were recreated from the artist’s paintings and are an illustration of Jewish life at the beginning of the last century. In addition to household items in the museum you can see family photos. In the courtyard of the museum is a monument to Marc Chagall. The author of the sculpture depicted a young man playing the violin in the form of a palette. The museum is open from 11 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. In summer period, Monday is a day off, in winter period - Monday, Tuesday. The price of the admission ticket is approximately 1 euro along with photographing. The museum has nice staff.the Marc Chagall museumthe Marc Chagall museumthe Marc Chagall museumthe Marc Chagall museum
  6. My number six on the list is the 'Slavianski bazaar in Vitebsk'. Since 1992, in July Viciebsk hosts an international art festival. The festival presents contemporary art, folk art, theater, choreography, circus and visual arts. The culmination of the 'Slavianski bazaar in Vitebsk' is the International Pop Song Performers Contest. The festival hosts many live shows. Personally, I attended a concert of the Russian rock band 'Kipelov'. What I liked is that you can sit in the city center and at the same time in the fresh air and enjoy the performance.the 'Slavianski bazaar in Vitebsk'the 'Slavianski bazaar in Vitebsk'the 'Slavianski bazaar in Vitebsk'the 'Slavianski bazaar in Vitebsk'
  7. And lastly, my final item on the list of wonder of Viciebsk is Pakroŭski sabor. This building was built in the early 19th century in the classicism style as a Roman Catholic church. In 1847, this church was transferred to the Orthodox department. The uniqueness of Pakroŭski sabor lies in the fact that, unlike Uśpienski sabor and Śviata-Vaskrasienskaja carkva, this church was only partially destroyed and its walls survived the times of the Soviet Union. And here during the Second World War the relics of Śviataja Jeŭfrasińnia Połackaja were also transported(now they are in Połack). In my opinion, of all the churches of the city that I have listed, this particular one is the most genuine and authentic.Pakroŭski saborPakroŭski saborPakroŭski saborPakroŭski sabor

My dear friends, I will be very glad if my post interests you and Viciebsk appears in the list of your tourist routes !!!

Katy Darhel
Свято-Успенский кафедральный собор, Витебск, Belarus
17 comments
Level 9

Re: #TeamBelarus The 7 wonders of Viciebsk

Congratulations!

Excellent post about Belarus.!

It is great @katydarhel that you decided to create #TeamBelarus.

So many interesting places in Viciebsk.

Thank you very much for this interesting post .

I wish you good success in the future and good luck.

Best wishes from Moscow.

Level 8

@katydarhel Thank you for sharing these 7 wonders of Viciebsk with us. I like the church in number 4. Its red color makes it looks beautiful. Have you ever attended the Sunday concert there?

Level 8

Congratulations for sharing Your nice experiences of 7 Wonders  - with us in Local Guides. Really Í appreciate Your talented ànd dedicated hardworking. The photos explain a lot of Ancient stories. 

Thanks a lot.🎊

Level 7

Hi @helga19,
thank you very much for your kind words. I am very proud that we were able to create an excellent #TeamBelarus. This is all thanks to @OlgaKlimchik . I would be happy if you visit Vitebsk one day. Hello Moscow from Belarus !!!

Katy Darhel
Level 7

Hi @Ant_Bad_Yogi,
thank you very much for your kind words. I am very glad that you rated my item number 4. This church is really beautiful. Unfortunately, I did not attend an organ concert on Sundays, although I really like organ music. I hope in the future I will be able to do this.

Katy Darhel
Level 7

Hi @Premsekar,
thank you very much for your kind words and compliments. I look forward to hearing from you interesting posts and posts about your country !!!

Katy Darhel
Connect Moderator

Re: #TeamBelarus, The 7 wonders of Viciebsk

Sorry for being so late, @katydarhel 

I was travelling and I missed a lot of notification.

It is beautiful to travel trough your photos and your words, exploring Viciebsk.

Great start for #TeamBelarus

Congratulations

Level 7

Hi @ErmesT,

I am so happy that you paid attention to my post. Thank you very much for your kind words and compliments !!!☺️

Katy Darhel
Level 8

@katydarhel спасибо большое,  Катерина за замечательный рассказ о Витебске. Я много слышала об этом городе от моего отца, поскольку он провёл в этом городе три года будучи в армии. У меня сохранились несколько старых фотографий, но опять же только из армейской жизни, а теперь я узнала о самом городе. 🍁