PrasadVR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

UGADI, Telugu New Year celebrations in Andhra Pradesh, India

• Caption: Photo creation by @PrasadVR with help of Canva showing Ugadi pachadi in silver bowel.Caption: Photo creation by @PrasadVR with help of Canva showing Ugadi pachadi in silver bowel.

Ugadi, also known as Telugu New Year,  was celebrated yesterday, April 9th, 2024 in our state Andhra Pradesh, India.  The exact date varies each year depending on the positioning of the moon and other astrological factors.

Like many Hindu festivals, the day starts early with a ritual bath, wearing new traditional clothes,  gathering with family, prayers both at home and in temple, and having delicious traditional food.

There are three key unique events are associated with this festival.

1. Preparation of ‘Ugadi Pachadi’ (It is prepared by mixing six different ingredients (explained below #) A spoon of Ugadi pachadi is taken directly after morning prayers,  (It is not to be mixed with rice as a pickle.)
  2. A special event, known as ‘Panchanga Sravanam’ are organised in the evening at some selected public places like community centres and temples, where a priest or an elder with astrology knowledge recites the New Panchangam (Almanac) for the upcoming year. The information provided includes details about upcoming festivals, auspicious days for wedding, starting new ventures, weather pattern, solar and moon eclipses, rainfall forecast and agriculture predictions.
  3. In villages, farmers wash and garland their cattle, offering prayers to recognize their importance in agriculture and livelihoods.

# Ugadi pachadi recipe:

Ingredients:

• Tamarind: 1 small lemon-sized
  • Water: 1 cup
  • Jaggery: ¼ cup (chopped or grated)
  • Raw mango: ½ cup (unripe, finely chopped)
  • Neem flowers: 2 tablespoons (fresh)
  • Salt: a pinch (to taste)
  • Chilli 1 piece ( cut pieces to taste)
  •  
  • #Instructions:
  1. Soak the tamarind in ½ cup water for 10 minutes. Squeeze the pulp and extract the tamarind juice, discard the pulp.
  2. Dissolve the jaggery in another bowl, add the remaining ½ cup water. 
  3.  In a serving bowl, combine the tamarind juice, jaggery syrup, chopped raw mango pieces, neem flowers, salt, and chilli pieces.
  4. No need to heating and cooking.

I would like to tag  dear LG friend @TravellerG , @Tushar_Suradkar , @KashifMisidia , @Annaelisa , @Stephanie_OWL , @ShailendraOjha , @SholaIB , @JustJake   

Signature Image
Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
26 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: UGADI, Telugu New Year celebrations in Andhra Pradesh, India

Wonderful post dear @PrasadVR with photos and a nice description of the traditions of UGADI.

I especially liked the pachadi - is it sweet or spicy?

Level 8

Woooooohoooooooo dear friend @PrasadVR😀 I'm surprised you make post, what a wonderful dear friend, okay now thank thank you very much dear for tagged me happy ugadi festival dear & you already got the gift of ugadi festival congratulations for your winner achievement badge.🤝

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Connect Moderator

Wow another new information for me, a new name for the new year after Gudhi Padwa, Basant, Bahar and Navrouz. @PrasadVR 

These beautiful festivals are the rich history of Indian Subcontinent or I can say SAARC Countries. Our ancestors celebrate all these festivals in past with different names when they got season of Harvest, and when they celebrate the new flowers in thier fields and gardens. 

Thanks for sharing 🙏 

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 8

Betreff: UGADI, Telugu New Year celebrations in Andhra Pradesh, India

Vielen Dank @PrasadVR , dass du mich markiert hast!!!

Deine Erläuterung der Feierlichkeiten fand ich unglaublich interessant, noch mehr hat mich jedoch das Gericht fasziniert.

Einige der Zutaten sind mir bekannt, es gibt jedoch ganz normal in unseren Märkten kein jaggery.

Auf meiner Suche wo ich dies bekommen kann, stieß ich auf ein Geschäft in Bielefeld, nicht allzu weit entfernt.

Ich werde es, wenn ich die Gelegenheit habe, aufsuchen und schauen, ob ich gleich alle Zutaten vor Ort erwerben kann. 😊

Danke für die ausführliche Anleitung! Wird es süß oder scharf schmecken?

Über mich | Liebe Grüße aus Lage, der kleinen Zuckerstadt im schönen Lipperland, gelegen im Westen von Deutschland

Level 10

Thank you @Tushar_Suradkar ji for reading my post. The pachadi is a balance of sweet and sour.

Signature Image
Level 10

Thank you dear friend @ShailendraOjha  for your kind words and encouragement.

Signature Image
Level 10

Hello @KashifMisidia ji, Thank you taking time and reading my post. Yes, you have rightly said, these harvest festivals are a tradition started by our ancestors, each region has its own unique name for the harvest festival.

Signature Image
Level 10

Betreff: UGADI, Telugu New Year celebrations in Andhra Pradesh, India

Hello @Stephanie_OWL , I'm glad you enjoyed my post. You can find jaggery powder on Amazon, but regular sugar works as a substitute. You can also use black pepper instead of chili for a milder taste. The taste is a balance of sweet and sour flavors.

Signature Image
Level 10

नमस्कार,

@PrasadVR 

Bohot Sari Shubhkamnaye for UGADI, 

thanks for sharing knowledge about Telugu New Year in Andhra Pradesh..