CruiseCycle's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

What Time Was That Meeting??? Using UTC Time for Scheduling!

In today's global communities that interface and communicate with other global communities, it can be a challenge to figure out what time that virtual meeting will be! Many of us are unfamiliar with most of the three letter country codes around the world, then there are other countries and places that don't have their own country codes and use UTC offsets. Then there are some huge countries that have only one time zone or consolidated some of their time zones into each other! This isn't even scratching the surface of places that have unusual time offsets. 

To cut to the "short version" first, the best practice for publishing the time for your global meeting is using "UTC" in many cases. 

When scheduling meetings, it's a handy shortcut to let all the participants know what the UTC time the meeting will be held at. If you have your calendars set up to use GMT, that will work too even though it's not the time standard itself. Just remember that some places in the GMT time zone do use daylight savings time in the summer months! With that information everyone can calculate exactly when the meeting will take place where they will be physically located. In many cases most of the current scheduling applications in use today will automatically calculate and display the local time for the meeting if the UTC or GMT is entered. If you expect most of the meeting's participants to be from a few specific locations, by all means list it in the time zones for your target audiences, but don't forget UTC/GMT for those further around the globe.

Special thanks to @AdamGT  for the encouragement to write this post. If you have any personal experiences or funny stories to tell about time zone confusion, please leave a reply and your story. I'd especially like to hear from anyone that lives in places that have virtual horizontal time zones during parts of the year, like parts of Australia that use - or don't use - daylight savings time during the year causing them to change time zones by just by driving north or south during different seasons of the year 😄

Charlie Cashman
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: What Time Was That Meeting??? Using UTC Time for Scheduling!

Well done @CruiseCycle not only have you come out of the shadows but you've made a real splash with a detailed and very educational post which I'm certain will be of interest to many here.

Also, just so you are aware, your post was marked as spam for which I apologize as the filters here run 24/7 and they can be a little harsh at times. However, as you can see I've released your post so others can see and learn from it. You can visit this article to learn more Why was my Connect post marked as spam?

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Level 10

That certainly nails down something I noticed - namely that my post had disappeared. I thought it was something to do with the header/photo, so I edited that and the post reappeared. I would have been totally faked out of my proverbial boots if you hadn't explained that. Like many other systems, and I understand why they do it these days, the originator is not notified it was marked and deleted as spam. In any case, it has ended well - many thanks for that.

Charlie Cashman
Connect Moderator

Thanks for posting, @CruiseCycle 

You may not be aware that sharing photos we did not take ourselves should never be shared on Connect - and also not on Google Maps.

Please read this post How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect?.

I would recommend you remove stolen content before one of the Google Moderators will do it for you.

Thanks
Morten

Level 10

Apologies - didn't realize that public domain marked material was off limits for Connect. I have removed anything that could be considered as not original.

Charlie Cashman
Connect Moderator

@CruiseCycle 

Great thanks.

Cheers

Morten