Amiran's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Wow! Google extended the variety of icons on Maps

Hi all, 

I know we all like this change. It was for a long time one of our wanted things. At least I sent feedback, in this case, several times myself; for example this post since 2017. And the category master @JanVanHaver also posted an idea about it.

Now Google heard our voice after years 😍 and they are rolling out new icons for different types of places. For example, now we have specific icons for bakeries, clothing stores, tools shops, Car-related stores, Barbershops, Sports places, Buildings, different types of restaurants, and more.

A schematic image of different pins on the map, This not exactly represent real icon colorA schematic image of different pins on the map, This not exactly represent real icon color

This change applies both on the web and app versions. As far as I know, these icons were all on Google servers from several years ago and Google used them in other parts of Google services, but now these are visible on Google Maps, too. Still, I see a lack of specific icons for some few categories and I hope Google extends icons to more categories.

Some of new icons are visible in this imageSome of new icons are visible in this image

Note that the new icons are rolling out. So, if you don't see them yet, wait some days/weeks.

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
10 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Wow! Google extended the variety of icons on Maps

@Amiran 

Thanks. I don't see them around here.  Are the colors as you showed them?

Great to see you in the video.

Morten

Level 10

Thanks @MortenCopenhagen 

As I asked from others it is very new and many others don't experience it! But you know it will be available soon.

And, Not exactly! That is a schematic image and I wanted to have different colors but also tried to have the same theme except for the cafe which is still orange like other food categories.

PS: I added a caption to the cover photo to represent this.

Level 8

Hi friend @Amiran i shared one of the wonderful mankind's benifits post (article) by moderator@PaulPavlinovich my high five 🙌 , link is here Worldwide water quality map 

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Level 10

Thanks, @ShailendraOjha It is definitely a valuable project. But that is not related to this post. It would be better if you posted it under the Disaster Support post by @YasumiKikuchi. As I mentioned such a My Map is very effective in hard situations.

Level 8

I know friend @Amiran & i also know it's not related to your post, but i think it's also a valuable post for everyone everywhere.

shailendraOjha

▶️
GoogleGuide_shailen13

Connect Moderator

This is indeed something which is long overdue 😃 Thanks for sharing @Amiran (and this certainly secures you a spot in the next news & updates podcast episode 😉)

Unfortunately I also do not see them yet. Great to see the t-shirt icon for clothing stores in your screenshot. Could you possibly also add actual screenshots from some of the others you mention: bakeries, tools shops, car-related stores, barbershops, sports places?

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

Thanks @JanVanHaver It is always a pleasure to be part of the Let's Guide podcast 😁

I'm sure in the next weeks it will be stable but right now it is disappeared for me, too! However, these new icons are still available on top of the Question cards.

But from the screenshots I saved till this morning these are some of them:

New-Icons.jpg

About barbershop, has the symbol of a scissor, and each specific sports field, has its own symbol, for example basketball ball for the basketball court.

I hope others can share more. I'll do so if I see them again.

Connect Moderator

Thx @Amiran that is really great.

By the way, avout being part of the podcast: did you see this post?

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

Yes @JanVanHaver, it is a nice change.

I saw it and really like to join, but I was afraid that I couldn't attend at a specific time. Now I re-checked and it seems we could record audio and no need to be live. Is this true?

Anyway, I posted my comment to join.