KarolinaPysz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

How to learn more about Road Mapper

Caption: An illustration of the Local Guides logo with decorative stars surrounding it.Caption: An illustration of the Local Guides logo with decorative stars surrounding it.

If you want to learn more about Road Mapper, you can visit our Help Desk at any time to read this post that contains frequently asked questions about the tool and how to participate. 

If you have any questions that were not answered in this post, tell us in the comments below. As we mentioned recently, you can express your interest and sign up for our Road Mapper wait list by filling out this form.

You can also subscribe to this board to get the latest updates sent straight to your inbox. Simply scroll to the bottom of the main Road Mapper board and click the button next to the prompt to subscribe.

67 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to learn more about Road Mapper

Thanks for this post @KarolinaPysz , really wanted, and yes, I think we will have a lot of questions, but two are always coming in my mind:

• When we contribute, time by time we see some very bad contributions (like a straight line crossing the area, not following any visible road). In some case I renounce and skip the challenge, because what I draw will be connected to this wrong (may I say fake) line, and it can be very difficult to correct it. It is possible to report that wrong line, and to have a "cleared challenge" of the same area?
  • It is ok to modify "deeply" what we see as a wrong road. I see that when we modify the road made by someone else, the variation in length is attributed to us, but what I want ot know is: if I modify part of wrong road, will this go to influence my contributions, and maybe have my contribution rejected too?
Level 8

Hey @KarolinaPysz,

Thanks for opening up this board!

I believe most of us have been mapping and have had series of questions along the way which we happen to ask each other anytime there's a meet up. Now this board comes in handy.

My quick questions: what do we do in mapping dual lanes road is a single line enough or we draw both back and forth? Roundabouts too need to be clarified. I see people just marking roundabout as straight line junction.

Trying to see the world from different lenses. Greetings from Nigeria.

Instagram 

Twitter 

Level 10

Thank you @KarolinaPysz for this new opportunity as a Local Guides. 

Tag (@BudiFXW) in your post or comment, I will happily to connect with you.
Level 6

رد: How to learn more about Road Mapper

شكرا حقا سندرسه ثم نحدث بعض الخرائط الفعليه

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/100828247984422652828/
Level 6

Ynt: How to learn more about Road Mapper

Hello @KarolinaPysz .This way so useful for in my opinion.Thank you much.

Googler

Hi @ErmesT, thank you for the comment and your questions! To answer your questions:

• On Road Mapper you actually have the capability to fix (or even delete) existing roads that are incorrectly drawn, using our select tool. The section titled How to edit roads on our Help page describes how to do so. This will then allow you to draw new roads that connect to the existing polylines you fixed.
  •  When you see a wrong road, we encourage re-aligning it if you can! Note if you need to re-align a large section, you can use the select tool to help. Existing roads that you see in your challenges may come from users, but many come from other mechanisms outside of Road Mapper too.

Googler

Hi @Nuhuu - thank you for your comment and question!

When you see dual lane roads, drawing a single line is enough - we will take care of the rest. Since Road Mapper doesn't provide special support for roundabouts today, drawing a line straight through the junction is recommended and our review process will also take care of the rest.

Connect Moderator

Thank you so much, @KarolinaPysz for your answer, sounds perfect.

I was in fact really surprised about the long straight lines that time by time are crossing the whole area. 🙏

Level 6

Thank you so much, @KarolinaPysz