Nachiket_methre's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Exploring the Revered Legacy: A Glimpse into the History of Mailar Mallanna Temple in Bidar

The Mailar Mallanna Temple, also known as the Sri Shiva Mailar Mallanna Temple, is a Hindu temple dedicated to the deity Khandoba (also referred to as Mailar Mallanna and a form of Lord Shiva). This sacred temple is situated in Mailar (Khanapur) village, which lies 15 kilometers from Bidar, Karnataka, India. Let me share some fascinating details about this temple:

Caption: #1 Lord in the  sanctum sanctorum.Caption: #1 Lord in the sanctum sanctorum.

Origin and Legend:

*The temple’s origin is intertwined with the tale of two demons: Mallasur (Malla) and his younger brother Manikasur (Mani).
These demons had gained the boon of invincibility from Lord Brahma and wreaked havoc on Earth, tormenting sages.
Seeking protection, the seven sages approached Lord Shiva after Indra and Vishnu confessed their inability to handle the situation.
In response, Shiva assumed the form of Martanda Bhairava, known as Mallanna (Khandoba). Riding the Nandi bull, he led an army of gods.
Martanda Bhairava shone like the golden sun, covered in turmeric, with three eyes and a crescent moon on his forehead.
The demon army was defeated, and Khandoba slew Malla and Mani.
As Malla repented, he offered his white horse to Khandoba and requested that he be present in every shrine dedicated to him.
Hence, this temple is known as Sri Shiva Mailari Mallanna (Khandoba) Temple.

Caption #2 : Portrait depicting the defeat of  Malla and Mani by the Lord MARTHANDA BHAIRAVACaption #2 : Portrait depicting the defeat of Malla and Mani by the Lord MARTHANDA BHAIRAVA

Note: This Portrait was taken from a marriage invitation card that I have received.

Location and Significance:
The temple is situated within the Vijayanagara empire, which now constitutes South India.
During that era, languages such as Kannada, Telugu, and Tamil were spoken.
The temple’s main day of worship is Sunday.
Near the temple, trading activities take place, involving animals like goats, sheep, and cows.
Devotees visit this temple seeking fulfillment of salvation, wealth, knowledge, vehicle purchases, and relief from diseases.
The temple attracts millions of tourists and offers a beautiful view.

Caption # 3: Overview of the TempleCaption # 3: Overview of the Temple

Associated with the Vijayanagara Empire and its architectural style reflects Vijayanagara architecture.

Patronage and Renovations:

The temple was vandalized by the invaders during different time periods.

It was patronaged, restored and renovated by Ahilyabai Holkar.

Caption # 4: Devotees involved in Bhajan-KirtanCaption # 4: Devotees involved in Bhajan-Kirtan

In conclusion, the Mailar Mallanna Temple in Bidar stands as a symbol of faith, heritage, and community. It is a place where the past meets the present, where spirituality mingles with tradition, and where all are welcome to experience the divine grace of Lord Mallanna. Whether seeking blessings, cultural enrichment, or simply a moment of peace, a visit to this sacred temple is sure to leave a lasting impression on the hearts and minds of all who tread its hallowed grounds.

JAI MALHAR!

Nachiket Methre
Bidar, Karnataka, India
22 comments
Level 8

Re: Exploring the Revered Legacy: A Glimpse into the History of Mailar Mallanna Temple in Bidar

The portrait image in Cation #2 is taken from a marriage invitation card that I have received. 

Nachiket Methre
Level 10

Re: Exploring the Revered Legacy: A Glimpse into the History of Mailar Mallanna Temple in Bidar

The Mailar Mallanna Temple in Bidar

This raised by inquisitiveness...so I Googled...

This one is on Bidar-Udgir Road, right? 

Very interesting and informative...

Have you copied the Photo #2 in high quality Document mode?

Extremely clear and sharp... very good capture...

Other photos are also contextual... good.

My best wishes, dear @Nachiket_methre ...

Thanks for sharing these with us.

Most sincerely 

🤝🌹

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Thank you for your valuable response sir @TravellerG . Yes it's on the same road. 

I have captured that one on my Phone.

Nachiket Methre
Level 10

नमस्कार,

@Nachiket_methre 

अच्छा पोस्ट,

फोटो देखकर मुझे जैजूरी के येळकोट मल्हार देव कि झलक लगी।

शेयर करने के लिए शुक्रिया।

Level 8

येळकोट मल्हार जी ही हैं। @Shrut19 

Nachiket Methre
Connect Moderator

It's very interesting and informative post about the Mailar Mallanna Temple in Bidar. Very well written by you @Nachiket_methre 

The temple looks really nice. 

Thanks for sharing your post with us. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Betreff: Exploring the Revered Legacy: A Glimpse into the History of Mailar Mallanna Temple in Bidar

@Nachiket_methre schon die ganze Geschichte hat bei mir einen bleibenden Eindruck hinterlassen.

Die Bilder sind fantastisch 

Level 10

Thanks for your kind response, dear @Nachiket_methre 

I'm tagging our friends @Praniketmore @ShubhamWaman and @Shubhu1 for their feedback.

Regards to each one of you...

Sincerely 

🤝🌹

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Betreff: Exploring the Revered Legacy: A Glimpse into the History of Mailar Mallanna Temple in Bidar

Thank you @Annaelisa . Your words of encouragement always pushing me ahead ❤️

Nachiket Methre