Stormwave's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Google's long lost relationship with us guides

I am not saying we are doing a paid job, but at the very least we are associated with Google. I have been on Level 7 for a while and am very close to Leve 8 now. But I am not really looking forward to it. Because what am I going to get? A certain discount on Google devices for a certain time? It feels like Google's attention is all on the youtubers because their contribution to the $ amount is visible to them. But we are certainly a big driving force behind Google search and Google Maps. But what are our benefits? Just leaving it here hopefully for some Google decision makers to spare a thought for us.

12 comments
Level 10

Re: Google's long lost relationship with us guides

Hello @Stormwave,

You are one of many that come here and vent this out. The Local Guide program is voluntary.

Your reward is being able to help other through your contributions. Is that not enough? If you don't agree, the local guides program might not really be for you. 

Thank you for understanding. 

Lucas

"It's the not the Destination, It's the Journey." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads

Level 9

Hello @Stormwave i have the same feeling. I am reviewing on Google for years now and never had any benefit and never asked about one didn't get a pin or whatever or complain about that. After years of reviewing, I am at level 9. The only thing that drives me is; I use reviews from other people, so I leave a review or tips to help other people. I understand that this is voluntary, none asked me to do this. 

What bothers me a bit after writing more than 1000 reviews, posting even more pictures and more is that Google is charging me for a few megabits extra to keep everything in my mailbox instead of starting to delete after decades of using Gmail. What bothers me more and even keeps me from reviewing lately is that most of my reviews suddenly are flagged in some way and not being posted. I tried to find out why, but I don't have a clue and ain't doing anything else then before. 

All the topics about this, and like @Lukas_  said there are more people "complaining", end by other local guides telling us that we should do this voluntary or .... 

Again, none asked me to do this, but Alphabet is a massive and rich company and is simply using my effort to make more money. I don't expect to be paid, but on the other hand I don't expect to pay for basic use of their products while contributing to them. Giving their local guides a bit more drive space is the least Alphabet could do for them. 

Level 7

@Lukas_ I am sorry if my post lacks the clarity of the issue I intended to raise. None of us are doing this for money. What I am looking for is appreciation for me and the platform.

I dont think we get enough appreciation from Google as an organization at all. Yes we are helping out others through the platform. But at the end of the day this platform is a service owned by Google. As @Ivoh mentioned the least google could do is provide us some Drive space.

Now lets talk about the state of the platform. Do you think Google gives enough attention to the state of platform. The whole platform looks like a first version web application designed by a noob dev. And the reason behind that might be Google thinks this platform is not making them any money.

As a user myself I am grateful to people like you who are selflessly contributing to the Maps community. But I guess some of us are not selfless enough. Hence looking for some appreciation from Google as a company, not the people as end users.  

Level 10

@Stormwave See, you still mentioned a reward in your response - google drive space.

I see that you're putting frustration onto everything around the system itself, but it all comes back to you thinking you're underappreciated for the contributions you make. 

As for me? I enjoy the numbers go up. I know won't change your opinion but I hope it makes you think if contributing on maps is for you. 

Have a nice day.

Lucas

Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads

Level 10

Ynt: Google's long lost relationship with us guides

Hello @Stormwave , welcome to the forum. Thank you for your posts. But don't say this. gwrwkirki, if you are writing with a goal or an expectation, you have the wrong idea. Because Google Maps is an application that is adhered to completely voluntarily and aims to help all humanity.

Level 9

Hello @Gezendunyali and @Lukas_  maybe our contributions are there to help humanity but google maps is not there to help humanity but solely to make more money for Alphabet. 
Yes it is voluntary, no I don’t expect (big) rewards. Without our contributions Google Maps would be far from what it is now. There are (much) better map applications but all the reviews and contributions are the big plus of Google Maps. It is totally fine that Alphabet makes more then 300 billion profit and I don’t expect to be paid like big contributors on YouTube or other platforms are paid. But like i said before, if Google is gone ask me money for using my mailbox because i am a early adopter what is the same reason i have grown to this much reviews and contributions then i am wondering and thinking about this. 

I am wondering to about the phenomenon that there are always people who come to questions or discussions like this and telling other people that Google Maps isn’t for them if they don’t do this from altruism. If we would be talking here about a non profit company or voluntary project ok ok, but I really don’t see the problem for Alphabet to give the big contributors for a product they use to make lots of money some reward for their efforts. My gmail and google drive which i use for organising my travels are one the basics i eventually use for the reviews. 

Level 10

Same thing goes for you @Ivoh.

Even though your response is long, the words feel empty. 

Please read the rules you have agreed to upon signing up to the local guides program right here.

And especially read this part aloud: "Benefits and early access to features are offered at the discretion of Google and its affiliates or partners. People who do not meet some of the eligibility requirements specified by Google or its partners (for example, age limit) will not be provided with or have access to certain benefits."

Please don't write another long response that only falls on deaf ears.

If you have a suggestiong regarding the program, try submitting it here

Good luck. 

Lucas

Adding 10.000 Roads

Adding 20.000 Roads

Level 9

Some people here act like they are in a cult. You should agree to the rules! You shouldn’t argue with to much words!

What really makes it kind of freaky is that some people think they can determine what others should write or not and even think they have the knowledge what others are reading or not… 

@Lukas_ Empty is: responding without any arguments. And yeah sometimes people choose to be deaf. I truly hope this was short enough for you.

Level 10

@Ivoh What you've got here, as opposed to other social media platforms, is a focus on one single interest. So, yes, you're going to find a lot of responses from people passionate about the Local Guides program - that's what this website is for. 

@Stormwave, I agree with your point that we could use an update to the very platform we're given to meet with other Maps hobbyists and fans. Even Google+ was a huge step up, but we're still here and stoked there's any place to chat with our fellow map "nerds." 

To the point of this solely being for Google's benefit. You're forgetting what is ON the map; businesses and points of interest. When you photograph or review a business, you're helping them. Yes, Google has a stronger argument to have the business pay for advertising, but it's not required. Nor have you ever been required to pay for using the Map. If you enjoy reviewing businesses, then do it for their benefit. @Lukas_  enjoys drawing roads, and that's for everyone's benefit (Android Auto is also free to users for navigation).  

When we have the promise of compensation at certain levels, then we have a risk of contributions being disingenuous. If you're being compensated, then it's a job. What we're doing is a hobby. Either you find pleasure in contributing, or you simply don't contribute. If you're an early adopter, I hope you will continue so you can see the evolution of the platform. 

JustJake TRAC Badge